What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Remember Fukushima?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
... that is one reason to get rid of nuclear altogether. OTOH, there will be a boat load of rare earth batteries that will pose a similar problem in the future.

EsterEssence

Veteran
I think it is unconscionable that they can’t come up with a better solution than polluting our seas with this radioactive water. Nuclear power produces so much waste material that has a half life 250000 years for a few years of power from it. I eat some fish, I might need to rethink that or at least where it comes from, but now the more we kill our seas the more we kill this planet. We are the only species that makes trash and we are damn good at it. We have land fills, nuclear waste in mines, who knows what else we have buried, and trash in space that is going to start running into pieces and falling to earth.

St. Phatty

Quite an Anomalous incident.

9.0 earthquake creates a sizable tidal wave which rushes inland.

But all the buildings are still standing.

Wow, Japan must be real good at earthquake engineering their buildings.

Or were those buildings somehow spared from a 9.0 earthquake ?

The electrical necessities of our race are quite great...it would be quite difficult to provide for all without nuclear generated power. There is potential for more sustainable nuclear power that produces less waste or produces a waste that can be further processed into electricity. Remember that the issue in Fukushima came about as the safety response had not been optimized for the situation that occurred when the plant was flooded and backup generators were not working to circulate coolant. So maybe if they had thought to place the backup generators higher up given they are next to the sea then there would be no debris to have to cool now.

The japs have run out of room to store the water they have to pour on the debris to keep it cool, making it radioactive.

They are going to dump it in the Pacific. :(

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...taminated-water-nuclear-waste-dilemma-emerges

German newspapers report that it is of cause 'cleaned' radioactive water, what means they removed a part of the radioactive stuff and a rest is left and they don't know what to do with that.

And corona crisis is for sure better than the soccer world championship to distract the people from what they are doing.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
If WuFlu hadn't hit, they were going to hold Olympic events there in fukushima for 2020.

I have stopped eating fish from the Pacific, which is a damn shame cause there are still Dolphin around Maui. Me and a couple locals beat the one day record out fishing in his little boat, smoking wowie on a beautiful day. We got skunked the next day LOL, as in no fish, not the strain. I wanna go back.

That Tritium stuff is what they painted the numbers and pointers in old aircraft instruments, so they could be seen at night. They found some guy who had a collection of those instruments, and made his place a hazardous waste site.

I wonder if Fukushia is why GE stawk has never recovered and has not bubbled? Those were GE reactor designs. They are partnered with Hitachi now.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The plutonium that was scattered from the reactor that blew up... it wasn't a plutonium reactor... rumors of the japs refining uranium into plutonium for others.. ME type others... and an underwater izzy nuke. Tidal conditions... Russians liked the idea so much they copied it with their "posideon"...

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/r...uclear-torpedo-no-atomic-terror-weapon-165520

NBC news guy let it slip that the plutonium was from a previous project one day on tee vee. Never heard it again.

The channel catfish in my pond were caught near the warm water outlet of a nearby nuke reactor in the river, a bunch of years ago. They hardly glow at all.

St. Phatty

The Japanese aren't stupid.

I'm sure they have measured the radiation on land, in the ocean & air etc.

and I have a feeling they're keeping some of that info to themselves.

Of course the US would also have noticed sources of radiation.

and I they're keeping some of that info to themselves.

One possible data point is the mass die off of sea animals recently reported in Kamchatka, way eastern Russia, on the coast.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...-bloom-kills-marine-life-kamchatka-peninsula/

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
I still remember Three Mile Island, and Chernobyl, mang. That was 1986, I was but a wee lad back then.

For years we had conifers that turned yellow and dropped their leaves like they were shedding the radiation, which I guess they were doing just that. People will stay stupid if it suits them, I hope the planet and nature will survive if we fuck it all up. Which prolly will happen, JUST. WAIT. FOR. IT.

You can't say Japanese are fucking it up for everyone, 'cause everyone is fucking it up for
everyone. I'm not gonna say it's racist or anything, but if it is, then let's be racist against human race, not just a group of mofos from somewhere else.

Yea I drank a bottle of rum, it was good rum. SUE ME!

:tiphat:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
........ 'cause everyone is fucking it up for
everyone. I'm not gonna say it's racist or anything, but if it is, then let's be racist against human race, not just a group of mofos from somewhere else.

Yea I drank a bottle of rum, it was good rum. SUE ME!

:tiphat:

Thanks to America's lead and the wonders of IT, selfies, facebook, etc., it's more like rampant materialism and nuclear energy just fuels it.;)

mexweed

Veteran
my chemistry professor did a gig working with some russians in the late 80s early 90s figuring out what to do with the sludge that would collect at the top of tanks holding nuclear waste water

he said they recrystallized it into sodium nitrate, so make sure if a food you eat contains sodium nitrate it's derived from celery, even though your stomach acid probably turns it into the same thing it's still sketchy