What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Neem, benefit or health problems?

Crazy Chester

it appears there is some positive interaction with sulfur and certain oils, not sure on the mechanisms of infusion be it sulfuric acid or raw sulfur infusions.. Chemistry isn't my strong suit

my laymens thought on this, is that oil infused with micro micro raw sulfur would allow the oil to 'Stick" better to what you are trying to cover by leaving buffering micro bits of sulfur behind that are coated in this oil..
seemingly similar mechanisms to natural saponis and surfactants

Sound reasonable to this non-chemist too. Since it appears SM90 doesn't lack a wetting agent or surficants, I'm back to only being able to offer guesses as to why SM90 is not working for LostTribe.

Maple_Flail

built up tolerance maybe?

Bacillus Thuringiensis in some biolarvicides should also work, we've got stepwell products up here, not sure availability south of boarder.

Celyon Cinnamon is something i've used with some success. top dress to cover the soil every two weeks or so. that plus worm casting juice tends to deal with them around here.

the area i'm in is kinda bad for them.

LostTribe

Premium user
I have only been adding it to my watering. I am not fond of spraying anything on my plants. I applied again last week. Then I started in with a half a mosquito dunk in my water tank 24/7. Haven't seen any last 2 days.

I did add DE to the top of each planter, but after I had to water it turned to goo. Once it dried on top again broke up the top 1/2 inch of soil and mixed it around. I saw aspen was using it on top of her coco. I may mix some into the mix next time.

I am betting the BT in the mosquito dunks will knock them out. Was much worse in the fall. I used the pest strips on veg/moms and it killed them off then it got super cold but once it started to warm up they instantly showed back up. I think it was the leftover Happy Frog which I tossed today. That crap is absolute trash what a waste of money. I made 10x the soil for the price plants love it much healthier.

I'll try to update in a few days.
LT

CrushnYuba

I was always told to keep sulfur away from oil. If you spray them too close together it burns.

I never had a problem with fungus gnats. I have seen them but it always seemed easy to get rid of. I just really laid off the water and i misted worth a little DE. Kept surfaces dry. That's the end.
DE doesn't work when it's wet. I have never used it in an amount that would make it clump. I use a dustin-mizer. It blows powders. You only just dust the surface after you water. If you water by hand, it will disappear. It's a very small amount. You can reapply. In all my years, i can't really remember having to do anything else. Maybe i have just been lucky.

i really thought just keeping everything dry and clean was good enough.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Douglas, I just think that perhaps you may have a neem allergy sepcifically. But I doubt it. You would most likely be the first, or at least one of a few. You have 10 years experience on the issue. Neem has 6000 years of use in ayurvedic medicine, injesting neem in as many ways as you can think.
So I guess myself, my wife and dozens of other people are simply crazy.

I've watched my wife have subtle issues with neem off and on during all my own issues. The difficulty for her was how subtle the issues are until put into sharp focus. The local dispo weed has become more polluted than usual with neem/aza and her pain, nausea and dizzy spells were more than mild.

I had her switch to known neem/aza free cannabis and the results were dramatic in only a week. Her pain levels from long time injuries are significantly reduced, no more off and on nausea in the mornings, and no infrequent dizzy spells after smoking.

I'll stay crazy and keep avoiding the poison, thanks.

KIS

So I guess myself, my wife and dozens of other people are simply crazy.

I've watched my wife have subtle issues with neem off and on during all my own issues. The difficulty for her was how subtle the issues are until put into sharp focus. The local dispo weed has become more polluted than usual with neem/aza and her pain, nausea and dizzy spells were more than mild.

I had her switch to known neem/aza free cannabis and the results were dramatic in only a week. Her pain levels from long time injuries are significantly reduced, no more off and on nausea in the mornings, and no infrequent dizzy spells after smoking.

I'll stay crazy and keep avoiding the poison, thanks.
I'm glad you figured out what was causing your health issues. Being sick is the worst! Maybe the issue here is there's a better term for what you and your wife were experiencing rather than CHS, even if it has similar symptoms.

Maybe you guys are allergic to azadirachtin or another compound in neem? Or maybe the source you have came from trees that had been sprayed with some old pesticides that are no longer allowed in the US and you have a sensitivity to it? I have seen that happen with some neem products.

At the end of the day, I'm glad you're able to get your health back and figured out what was not working for you.

Douglas.Curtis

Yeah, I've specifically stated for nearly 10 years that neem/aza does not cause CHS. It does cause symptoms very much like CHS, along with hypothermia type issues, muscle tension and kidney area pain issues. There definitely needs to be a term for it, people have had issues with it for 20 years now.

The issue is specifically azadirachtin, of which there is between 200 - 2000ppm of it in each ounce of unclarified neem oil. If you're using clarified neem oil you can safely use a significantly cheaper horticultural oil to the same effect. Neem oil without aza is simply an oil and only marginally effective as a pesticide.

Cactus Squatter

Neem has been used for over 6000 years in ayruvedic medicine. I have used it to treat lyme's disease and other bacterial/viral infections. I'll eat upwards of 10 grams of ground plant matter some times. In addition to that I will smoke a lot of weed that uses neem as a soil ammendment and a foliar. Never had a problem. No record of people in the ayruvedic tradition ever having health problems related to neem with symptoms of CHS. 99.99999% of people don't seem to think neem causes CHS. Douglas Curtis does. He is wrong. He will try to tell you he isn't wrong and that he has done tests. He will not give you any records. He will just assure you he has been thorough. I believe he is dishonest or has a slight mental illness.
I can’t speak for anyone else, but I have severe reactions to Neem and can tell within a few puffs if someone used it in their grow. It absolutely effects some of us. Extreme nausea is the biggest symptom I have.

Douglas.Curtis

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I have severe reactions to Neem and can tell within a few puffs if someone used it in their grow. It absolutely effects some of us. Extreme nausea is the biggest symptom I have.
Do you have any injuries which are painful at times? Have you noticed the pain increasing when you use neem/aza cannabis?

The remark about there being hundreds of years of research on neem is not relevant with cannabis.
I would like to see someone post 600 years of neem + cannabis + animals research, 'cause all the existing stuff skips over it. Show me the results of 600 years of using neem as a pesticide on medicinal cannabis.

Cactus Squatter

Do you have any injuries which are painful at times? Have you noticed the pain increasing when you use neem/aza cannabis?

The remark about there being hundreds of years of research on neem is not relevant with cannabis.
I would like to see someone post 600 years of neem + cannabis + animals research, 'cause all the existing stuff skips over it. Show me the results of 600 years of using neem as a pesticide on medicinal cannabis.
Just the nausea is all I get. But it’s a weird extreme kind of nausea beyond what is normal for me with a lot of stomach cramping.

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
used to use neem occasionally always hated it and found it disgusting and even more and more disgusting. There’s so much better options these days … the only thing that’s good about neem is that it’s cheap….