What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding a Cambodian auto

herblux

Hi guys, not much new to report in regards to results..
The F2s so far have been really odd.
They all die on me. The males lasted long enough to give me pollen, but the F2s dry out and die, so the females haven't given me F3 seeds yet.
I wonder if it is genetic, as the environment seems to be the same as before, though these have been grown out in my veg room and the f1s were in the flower room, so lights and humidity might make a difference. I read here that one grower had a real hard time keeping one type of NLD plant alive due to what he reckoned was too dry a climate, the other plants were fine, but the tropical NLD was prone to drying up due to what he reckoned was acclimatisation to humid environment. I wonder if this is something similar, or maybe I have lost my skills after a long hiatus :)

Sorry to hear that man!

Hmmm maybe fusarium? Check some pics online, sounds a little like it.
Fingers crossed you find the culprit!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The Lebanese I have will flower when root bound. She reveges when branches/roots are trimmed before repotting, flowers again when rootbound.

Planting clones in the right size container will have them start flowering right when you need them to.

That possibly helpful? :)

teide

Veteran
No disease or pests affecting these F2s at least.
both female.
I now have healthy auto F2 that I can bx to my cambodian photo to start the cubing.

teide

Veteran
[No message]

Attachments

• photo2119259.jpg
    photo2119259.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 35

teide

Veteran
Screenshot_20220522-152330~2.png
these have shown up on my Cambodian mother. Looks like thrips? That might be what killed my last plants.

Nannymouse

Dang bugs, i swear that we get them in purchased bagged soil.

Anyway, it has just been a thought, but i have pondered that one of the most useful tools in developing auto lines, is that the 'non-auto' generations are a key to the final goal. It may not work as well in those first 'land race auto' f1's, as well as in future backcross to the pure (say cambodian). But i think that those females from non-auto generations are valuable. They can be held as mothers until tested, the superior ones could be the basis of the line. By testing, i think that selfing them would be ideal. By growing a good number of the seeds from those 'selfings', you would know which of the mother females are going to produce the traits that you are looking for. Also, they will give 25% autos, all female. Very useful for crossing back into the line or could create their own lines of females to cross with other outstanding females. Personally, i wouldn't do that with non-auto f2's, just because of space and time of having possible non-auto genes, but if that isn't a problem, the non-auto females of great worth could be crossed back, also.

I dunno if that was super confusing...probably not expressing the concept as well as it could be...

Good luck. Seems like a worthwhile project! I would personally have used one of the auto sativas that are now highly developed, to use, instead of a landrace ruderalis base, mostly because of my age, and the time factors.

teide

Veteran
I agree with you and I know what you mean. Pure autos cannot be cloned, whereas f1s can, and they hold the auto gene. Big benefit for backcrossing, saving time.

Last edited: