What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Methods on curing larger quantity??

I've been growing for about 2 years now, sometimes my finished product smells great after dry/cure, sometimes there's no smell at all. The buds always smell amazing when I'm about to harvest.

I read the sticky on curing and it was helpful, but I'm harvesting 3 to 4 pounds at a time. I was wondering if it is possible to cure with turkey bags if I put a full pound in each one? Does anyone else do this or does this just sound ridiculous?

I usually trim the buds as soon as they are chopped, but recently someone told me they will hold the smell better if I let them dry on the branches for 5 days before trimming. I tried that method last week and the buds have zero smell now.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Some additional info:

I dry the buds in a room that is between 70-80 degrees with a dehumidifier keeping the room at about 50% RH. I dry the buds until just before the stems snap, then put them in brown paper bags for 24-48 hours. Sometimes this methods works great, other times not so much.

The 2 people that taught me how to grow use this method and usually there stuff comes out smelling great. Why is mine inconsistent???

Sometim

DemonTrich

Veteran
just buy more 1/2 gallon mason jars. I have 48 1/2 gallon jars and 48 r/h meters. sure its a pita to burp 48 jars, but at least I know my cure is going properly.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Big Tupperware. The ones the size of an ice chest. Get enough so the nugs are only 4" deep or so and an be turned easily.
Or shelves and turkey bags like everyone else.

ganjourno

Don't need to brown bag. I think your temps are too high and your dehue is set too low. I dehue dry as well but at 55% and no higher than 70 degrees. Hang the whole plant with fan leaves removed. Then I cut off the buds when the stems crack and put the buds into a big clean rubbermaid tote. One for keepers and another for larf. I leave it open in the same climate controlled room and once a day mix the buds around so they get even exposure to the air. Stay 2 days like this then put the lid on the tote with a humidity meter. Leave for a few hours and check it. If it's higher than 60% take the top off and let it sit for another day, repeat until the humidity is stable at 60% with the lid on the tote. When you hit 60% stable then you can bag/jar and cure normally.

Snype

Veteran
I happen to disagree with most drying and curing techniques. I find drying in colder temperatures yields you a better quality product. Around 60F is what I go for. The big jar in the picture is 4 Gallons and can fit 2-4 pounds depending on density. I sweat in paper bags after they hang until the point where there are still wet inside the bud but dry on the outside of the bud. Then it goes to get it's final sweat in the jars. It's very complicated to explain. It's more of an art.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
you need to slow things way down. I like 5-7 day hang and 1-2 weeks in the paper bag, longer if the season allows it. then jars or turkey bags.

I'm really pleased with they added aroma since i switched to dry trim as they leave the paper bag.

ditch the dehumidifier and hang in a big closet or small bedroom. the slower the better.

in the winter when it's really dry I'll hang in large cardboard boxes to slow things up.

Thanks a lot for all the responses everybody. Lot's of cool tips, I'm gonna give all of them a try and see what works well for me.

I'm happy to report that the blackberry kush I chopped 2 weeks ago has started to put out a really solid aroma. It clears out the whole side of the house when I open a turkey bag now, this is definitely what I've been looking for.

Seems like dry trim is definitely the key. My friend usually trims all my buds for me and she said it was much easier/faster for her to trim it dried rather than wet also. Looks like a win/win :)

I ordered 32 mason jars off of Amazon, I think they are the quart size? They showed up today, but each one only fits about 2 oz. If anyone has a lead on where to get 1+ gallon mason jars, please let me know where. Biggest on Amazon was half gallon I believe.

Thanks again for all of the awesome feedback.

jus'plain'gill

I've been growing for about 2 years now, sometimes my finished product smells great after dry/cure, sometimes there's no smell at all. The buds always smell amazing when I'm about to harvest.

I read the sticky on curing and it was helpful, but I'm harvesting 3 to 4 pounds at a time. I was wondering if it is possible to cure with turkey bags if I put a full pound in each one? Does anyone else do this or does this just sound ridiculous?

I usually trim the buds as soon as they are chopped, but recently someone told me they will hold the smell better if I let them dry on the branches for 5 days before trimming. I tried that method last week and the buds have zero smell now.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Have you checked out the Freezer Cure method thread that's stickied at the top of this forum? Lots of good info and feedback in there about the method. And I think it could work well in your situation, where you need to cure larger quantities. I'm pretty sure I could cure 3-4 pounds at a time in the freezer part of my fridge/freezer combo. A stand alone freezer could prob do 3-4X that.

One of the biggest aspects for me is no need to burp multiple jars, which can be a real hassle and lead to inconsistent results in different jars. In the freezer your pot cures 24/7 and all of it comes out the same. consistently.

Good luck, I hope to see you post a success story in that thread in the next month or two. Take care,

.JPG

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
if you read simon's thread you just need a bigger "jar" and 1 hygrometer

buy a fish tank at a garage sale and then go get a roll of this stuff for the lid. show tanks are better because they are narrow and the stuff will cover in one layer

NOTE. new tanks work too but the fresh silicone sealer gives off a strange smell that the old stuff does not.

sounds stupid but it work anyway:tiphat:

onavelzy

Veteran
I happen to disagree with most drying and curing techniques. I find drying in colder temperatures yields you a better quality product. Around 60F is what I go for. The big jar in the picture is 4 Gallons and can fit 2-4 pounds depending on density. I sweat in paper bags after they hang until the point where there are still wet inside the bud but dry on the outside of the bud. Then it goes to get it's final sweat in the jars. It's very complicated to explain. It's more of an art.
View Image View Image View Image View Image

Snype,, props on the mega mason jars.

OT question if that's ok: Is that a Savannah hybrid?

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last time I dried trim I made such a mess, how do you guys avoid that? I get piles of trichs fallin off dry buds when I pull em off hangers dry trimming just murders the buds for me. Maybe i suck deffo possibilty.

ganjourno

Trim while still on the stalk, only remove them from the branch once the trim is done - minimal damage to trichs since you don't have to touch teh buds with fingers.

EasyCureBuddy

I'm going this direction myself.... I hope to have good results soon :biggrin:

A few people have doubts about automation, but I have high hopes of consistency and less "grassy smell" bud. I'm new to this, so I don't have years of experience, but I have a technical background in electronic systems. So I put that to good use hopefully.

Easy Cure Buddy...... Wish me luck!

EasyCureBuddy

View Image

what does this gadget do?

good luck!

This gadget will auto "burp" your jars/containers with a watchful eye on the internal humidity of the curing container. The container will remain sealed otherwise when not burping. Humidity level can be preset to your liking. I hope to prevent mold from growing by never letting the humidity get too high accidentally.

ECB