What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hawaiian Sativas

Feb2006er

The Hawaiian sativa that I knew and loved was actually HS crossed with ISS one of the best sativas I have ever puffed.It was very popular around the SE for a long time I think it came from Federation seeds but not sure.Really,really, nice smoke hope to get my hands back on a cut of it from some of my red neck brothers.
I was there when the seeds showed up. There was a HS and a HSxISS that came in that day in 02 or 03. A few months later the guy came over and showed us a few samples of each. One was very candied lemon rind tasting and reminded me of some weed I had in HI a lot. He culled that pure HS because it took too long and didn't yield as much as the HSxISS. The HSxISS is still alive and well.

ijim

You are right about what we consider to be a landrace strain in a geological area is only so from the distant past. Seeds have been traded in the Middle East, Asia, Africa and the Americas for centuries. Cannabis has been used as currency and carried by Magellan and Marco Polo. Polynesians settled parts of South and Central America. That may be where Sativa's may have first come to Hawaii from. Or the American Continent Sativa's may have came from the Polynesians. They were the best sailors of their day.
But I just might have to come to Hawaii myself and investigate the situation myself for a few years. Been looking at Kauai. Love any type of education thanks.

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
An old friend of mine, who is now deceased told me that he and his brother brought the first weed seeds to the islands from Korea after the Korean war. He was a famous abstract painter that lived in Lahaina Maui, and used to hang out around the Lahaina shores hotel and the park on the beach behind the fire department. His name was Kenneth R Neizman. Not sure the story was true, but others said it was. So that would make it Korean genetics. Kinda sounds right from what I remember the taste as.:artist:

I lived on Maui in 1977. I lived in Lahaina, and also spent plenty of time at seven sacred pools. The maui weed we had back then was not like what is being sold in seed form. Although great smoke, this seems more hazey to me, where as the old stuff from Lahaina was more spicey earthy incencey.

Remember this spot? I used to camp out here all the time. This was my favorite place to have a cup of tea and smoke a joint.

picture.php

We pulled alot of Opihi(shellfish), Octopus, fish, and even lobster out of this inlet. We were almost attacked by sharks in there too.

your pic look like Hana Maui, perhaps 7 Sacred Pools?

Yes_I_Am

forgive my ignorance, but what does hawaii strains have in common do they all have a particular smell or is it just the term used for plants bred in hawai. i love the pics in this thread all look fantastic, what makes a hawaii plant different from a non hawaii plant?

I lived on Maui in 1977. I lived in Lahaina, and also spent plenty of time at seven sacred pools. The maui weed we had back then was not like what is being sold in seed form. Although great smoke, this seems more hazey to me, where as the old stuff from Lahaina was more spicey earthy incencey.

Remember this spot? I used to camp out here all the time. This was my favorite place to have a cup of tea and smoke a joint.

picture.php

We pulled alot of Opihi(shellfish), Octopus, fish, and even lobster out of this inlet. We were almost attacked by sharks in there too.

I actually grew up in Lahaina. I use to live up Dickenson St. right across from Rainbow rent-a-car. A great place for a kid to grow up who's into surfing & smoking da kine Maui buds. 77 I was about one year away from leaving Maui to seek greener pastures. Growing tired of the same old shit on the westside of Maui I felt an urge to move along. So I packed up my girlfriend at the time with a half elbow of some primo Maui bud ,and a film cannister of seeds,and moved to French Polynesia for awhile..

At this time I'd like to add my two cents with regard to Landraces, and Hawaii...no such thing! Absolutely nothing is native to Hawaii...nothing! Hawaii is an volcanic island meaning it grew out of the ocean floor via an ocean floor eruption. I'm now on 24/7 alert as Kilauea is less than 35 minutes from my home. If any of you don't know the history of Kilauea...let me put it this way. Kilauea has been erupting constantly since 1983. Believe it or not. Lava makes for some pretty land.

Mexican & Colombian were popular in Hawaii waaaaay toooo long in my opinion and that is because there wasn't much else back then. I'm thinking about 1970 Hawaii first started seeing "Thai Sticks",on her shores. I'm one who believes that locals really had nothing to do with modern cannabis. I could be wrong, but I think not. I'd think I'd know, I'm local. I think different varieties were introduced to Hawaii by three different ways. I believe that our military servicemen were often mules. Also so were Hippies, and most of all surfers....that's what I said surfers. Think about it for a moment. Just about every spot an international surfer would go for waves...it's also is a great spot for local cannabis too.

Attachments

• hot pond in Puna.jpg
    hot pond in Puna.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4368.jpg
    IMG_4368.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Puna Rainbow at my boy's school.jpg
    Puna Rainbow at my boy's school.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Web:Swazi crossed bush going into flowering!!!.jpg
    Web:Swazi crossed bush going into flowering!!!.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 98
  • Big Island Hula  Johhny Lum Ho.jpg
    Big Island Hula Johhny Lum Ho.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 85
  • garden view.jpg
    garden view.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 11 ft.jpg
    11 ft.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 73

oldhaole

Veteran
Random Thoughts

Random Thoughts

Dr Purp...looks like Wainapanapa.

Who brought the first seeds here and when...I don't know. All the oldtimers have a story.

And the weed of the 70's was different...but so are all of us.:comfort:

Yes I Am....What make Hawaiian different? Please realize I am very bias.

The growing conditions are second to none. Since three seasons are possible, genetics can be changed quickly. Micro-climates are the rule here. So not only can genetics be changed quickly, so can climates.

Since mainland strains take a few generations to adjust to our photoperiod, we are rather a closed envionment. This also forces us to do most (if not all) of our own breeding. And there are a lot of us.
All breeding independantly of each other. For different envionmental conditions.

So the variety here is overwhelming. Always changing. And they have very little in common except potency.

Hawaiian Bud...I tried to explain what you said in my first post. By I think you are on a slippery slope when you say locals had nothing to do with modern cannibis.

There were a lot of fingers in the soup. You really can't exclude one group. I won't disagree with you, but I like to think everybody had a role to play. They may not have been cutting edge, but they kicked the can down the road.

Attachments

• perspective 3.jpg
    perspective 3.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 64
  • yummy.jpg
    yummy.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 77
  • yummy1.jpg
    yummy1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 72
S

stonescafe

i have some pine death artner beans does anybody have any info on this strain,all i know is they are hawaiian

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Actually that was by Seven Sacred Pools in Haleakala park, several miles past Hana, on the windward side of Maui. I lived right there several weeks at a time. Till the rangers would ask us to leave. (3 day camping limit). They didnt bug us too much

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
forgive my ignorance, but what does hawaii strains have in common do they all have a particular smell or is it just the term used for plants bred in hawai. i love the pics in this thread all look fantastic, what makes a hawaii plant different from a non hawaii plant?

Heres another pic for you. I picked a couple more Maui plants today. Rock hard nuggs, spicey hazey smell.

picture.php

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Fact is

Fact is

This Honeydew Headband cut tastes more like the Hawaiian back in 1977 then the Maui I just grew. Its real real good, dont get me wrong. But like the Headband, the old Maui weed was sweet, earthy, spicey, and strong. Pretty damn close, the more I think about it

picture.php

Actually that was by Seven Sacred Pools in Haleakala park, several miles past Hana, on the windward side of Maui. I lived right there several weeks at a time. Till the rangers would ask us to leave. (3 day camping limit). They didnt bug us too much

7 Sacred Pools is still considered Hana Maui. I use to take girls out there for a weekend of camping out,..back in the day. Funny you should mention the Rangers from over there. The head Ranger is a good friend of mine. His name is Edward Puu, and he's one solid Hawaiian too. If you ever have a problem in Hana, you go and see Edward Puu. He's known in those parts to be able to fix anything.
Hana to me is a perfect place to grow tall sweeping sativas, Unfortunately "Op. Greenharvest", probably meant the end of Elephants growing in the Islands. I'm sure that "OP. Greenharvest",was the start of the end for Elephant. The once powerful strain in Hawaii has basically been reduced to a memory. So that is why I must find out for myself what happened...

Hey fellow hawaiian grower here. Haole where u been brah? Haven't seen u in the RIU thread for a while. This is grass from RIU thread btw.

I wish I could grow sativas like that! Truly incredible. I got some "mango zamal" from mandalas, gonna give it a go.

oldhaole

Veteran
Bud...I have heard of Timewarp, but not Hawaiian Timewarp. Or Pine Death Artner?...is that a spelling mistake? Gotta be.

Doesn't mean anything. I may know it by a different name. Or not at all. Strains change fast, but strain names change even faster. On Maui it may go by one name, Oahu another.

I'm blessed with a packrat partner. We have seeds saved in his freezer from thirty years back. Now with MMJ there is no need to keep them small. We are only allowed seven plants a patient, which encourages us to grow the heavy yielding Sativas. We may know the same strains, just by a different name.

Red...What thread is the RIU? My memory is shot :blowbubbles:
Good luck with the mango zamal.

If you live here, and have a safe place to grow there is no reason you can't pull giant Sativas. They are perfectly suited to Hawaii and yield five times what an Indica does.

Dr Purp....If my crop looks like that I will be dancing in the street.

Pic 1 is the Elephant Ear.
Pic 2 is a Jack Herer trifoliate. I know...not a Hawaiian Sativa
Pic 3 is one of my Thai crosses.

The red handeled shovel is put there for scale and is five ft.

Attachments

• hole 11 6-15.jpg
    hole 11 6-15.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 67
  • hole 10 Jack 6-15.jpg
    hole 10 Jack 6-15.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 61
  • hole 12 6-15.jpg
    hole 12 6-15.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 68

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those Cherry pics are the bomb! very nice profile :yes: :canabis:

Update ,, Spicy Cheese F1 ,, force-flowered under glass ,, Hawaiian dominant

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

peace n flowers

SLumLord612

Thoughts or info on Federations Hawaiian Sativa?

I've got a couple seedlings going now, I had run her in the past and had mixed results, was not exactly optimal though, and the 1 that i pulled as my keeper was not probably the best choice.

I hear lots of good about it, but i don't know if i've ever really seen any pics or read any good solid smoke reports, just a comment here and there.

SL