What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New light fitting tripping fuse board at 600w but not at 400

Grandad

Hi,

I have just set up a new air cooled hood. The ballast was working fine with the previous lamp reflector at 600 watts.

With the new lamp connector set to 600 watts (its a dimmable ballast) the bulb lights up for a couple of minutes then the house fuse trips.

When the ballast is set to 400 watts it works fine, when increased to 600 watts it trips again.

I'm assuming the new lamp unit is faulty. Is it likely to be dangerous to use even at 400 watts?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

DrLongbottom

Veteran
you may have a "tired" breaker on the fuse box. as they age some fail to carry the listed amps. the new ballast may also be drawing more amps to get the same job done. Are you running anything else on this same line? Have you tried the lamp powered from an outlet on a different breaker yet?

Grandad

All new electrical kit - fuse box etc. Is there any point sending this back to the shop? If 400w runs ok then it has to be the load on the circuit? There are some other appliances running on it also.

Grandad

edit - I thought it was ok but at 600w its still tripping the breaker, even through 20A one with nothing else on it.

Last edited:

Iamnumber

Hmm.. no obvious root cause but few sugestions..

1) fuse and fuse box. newer .. please double check fuse specs on what causes the fuse to flip off? some newer have added safety features so it might not be just 'too much amps'

2) how much work did you do on setting up the reflector? I mean did you connect any wired (soldring, screw in etc.) or was it plug and play?

If you did anything, double check everything .. starting with wire connections . each (likely set of 3 wires) is connected to correct spot & no stray strands of wire anywhere, no exposed wires that could cause issues.

preferrably with a mate. new set of eyes can spot something. (if you already have not done so).

also - less likely - check each wire and socket etc. for wear or tear

if hood was plug and play.. I would try to contact seller for advice, refund or new item.

Grandad

Hey Iamnumber.

Thanks for chiming in! You might be onto something there with safety features/ sensitivity of the fuse box! The guy who installed this for me told me this was super good quality/ heavy duty stuff - I have two circuits - the B20 and B10 here: http://www.garo.se/en/installation/din-rail-components/rcbo

Whats funny is that I have been able to run the reflector on another plug (same circuit) no problem. When I add a plug for the extractor fan (maybe another 30 watts) to the timer it caused it to trip again. So 600watts is ok but 630 is too much.

The whole thing is a bit funny but I'm putting it down to one of these things - a gremlin. I'm thinking it has to be safe enough - its been workin away no issues now for a few week.

The setup runs fine on another friends house. The light is plug and play. Its a sunlight systems - so supposed to be bullet proof nd guys in the shop have never seen this problem with them.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I ran three, 400s watt hps with 3 fans on a 20 amp breaker and had just a little heat at the plug and wall. Have you checked the light in another plug in your house and ruled out the light fixture? If the light operates ok on another fuse or breaker then you have a faulty breaker and should be an easy fix. I wouldn't use it if the breaker keeps tripping because that tripping is for your safety. That's why its there and why its used to alert you that somethings wrong and needs to be fixed...... Just call a electrician and have him change it so you don't have to worry or take a risk and burn down your house.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
It's consistent. I guess the other socket is not quite as good. Maybe being further from the board of just not as good a connection. Enough extra resistance to reduce the peak flow. Then just 30w and your back tripping the fuse like the first socket.

When it's tripped, go round the house to be absolutely certain of whats no longer working and as such must be on that fuse.

I note the fuse isn't just a B20 but is infact looking at earth leakage to. Be sure it's a 30mA trip and not lower. These lights do use the cpc(earth)

I think you have loaded it up fully. I can't say if that's over 20 amps though.

Your link isn't English but you sound like you might be. I have a very good electrician in the UK if you need it looking at

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
Ask if you can try another reflector maybe the cord or socket wiring. If you have a meter you can check for resistance at the terminals/connections.

Grandad

Hi all. Sorry - havent been in here recently.

This problem came back big time, ended up tripping a couple of times a day even after I switched out the reflector for a Secret Jardin Daisy (amazing reflector btw).

I bought a new ballast and since then have had no problems whatsoever. The old ballast must have been leaking to earth.

Hopefully this is the end of it. I cant have an electrician to the house for the next while!

troutman

Seed Whore
No way, I can see a 600W ballast alone tripping a 20A breaker if working properly.

Maybe, that old ballast was shorting somehow? Get rid of it before it causes a fire.

Iamnumber

Hey Iamnumber.

Thanks for chiming in! You might be onto something there with safety features/ sensitivity of the fuse box! The guy who installed this for me told me this was super good quality/ heavy duty stuff - I have two circuits - the B20 and B10 here: https://www.garo.se/en/installation/din-rail-components/rcbo

Whats funny is that I have been able to run the reflector on another plug (same circuit) no problem. When I add a plug for the extractor fan (maybe another 30 watts) to the timer it caused it to trip again. So 600watts is ok but 630 is too much.

The whole thing is a bit funny but I'm putting it down to one of these things - a gremlin. I'm thinking it has to be safe enough - its been workin away no issues now for a few week.

The setup runs fine on another friends house. The light is plug and play. Its a sunlight systems - so supposed to be bullet proof nd guys in the shop have never seen this problem with them.

Sorry to hear you had to upgrade your setup. :(

problematic setup running fine (for extented period .. say enough for 12 or so faults at old location ) .. is a strong indication that location is contributing fact.

Location would include everything from wall socket to .. whats the english term.. main breaker on your property line (?).

thats location.. from your messages .. there seems to be intermediate components like extension cords and timers .. I hope you used same ones when you tested the setup in different location ?

As you described that setup runs for a while before failure.. I fear it might be that fuse can also be tripped IF there is leakage from Neutral to ground. ( not certain of tech terms as I am not native english spk.). I did look at link you posted but I could not see info regarding this feature.

I fear there might be something 'not quite as things should be' on your property setup. And as other setup runs nicely on same location, my reasoning would be that the issue is brought up only when there is something bit off with the setup also. (only combination of the two makes the fuse flip).

If you ever have electrician take a look at your location .. I would love to hear from you if anything was found. (pm? even years afterward).