Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > RECENT interesting findings

Thread Title Search
RECENT interesting findings Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2018, 03:18 PM #441
bsgospel

bsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of light
Chloride Dependence of Growth in Bacteria

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...3)00509-3/full
Markus Roeßler,
Xaver Sewald,
Volker Müller
First published: August 2003
DOI: 10.1016/S0378-1097(03)00509-3

Not exactly recent but a solid quick read. I don't have much time to see if this has been expounded upon - but if anyone can point me towards more publications like this one, lemme know.
bsgospel is offline Quote

Old 01-16-2018, 03:30 PM #442
Agronomist

Agronomist will become famous soon enoughAgronomist will become famous soon enough
bsgospel,
I beg your pardon, But how is this of any relevant's to growing Cannabis?
This article talks about specific bacteria that utilize Cl ions for growth in salty (and maybe dry) environments.
Agronomist is offline Quote

Old 01-16-2018, 03:44 PM #443
bsgospel

bsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of lightbsgospel is a glorious beacon of light
Got me there- let me explain myself a little bit. It was just a hint at how microbes and bacteria can either thrive or not in less than RO/picture perfect conditions. Be it in composting or hydro, many use the bacteria examined in that paper in creating cultures/flagellates/what have you for the benefit of cannabis and other plants. I run a bit of compost teas myself and I was seriously wondering what could be so terrible about using tap water to brew home batches. Water supplies contain chloride, not chlorine (at least in my city.) So I googled chloride vs. bacteria and that's what presented itself.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:48 PM #444
bsgospel

Or supposing that if anyone else could point me towards other chloride or bacteria findings in relation to growing, I'm all ears. I'll literally chase down anything that helps me learn and that was just a jumping off point for a specific part of bacteria in relation to growing.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:05 PM #445
Agronomist

Agronomist will become famous soon enoughAgronomist will become famous soon enough
In RO water you will have a very small amount of microbs. The cells will explode from the water poring into the cells.
Almost no one uses RO water in agriculture. It's more like a misconception in the Cannabis community.
Fell free to use tap water. There is nothing wrong with that.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:47 PM #446
bsgospel

That's exactly where I was headed. I've never experienced any difference and when I explain it to people I get ridiculous looks. So that article speaks more to growing (kinda) than the plant itself and in that regard, yeah it's out of place.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:57 AM #447
led05

led05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agronomist View Post
In RO water you will have a very small amount of microbs. The cells will explode from the water poring into the cells.
Almost no one uses RO water in agriculture. It's more like a misconception in the Cannabis community.
Fell free to use tap water. There is nothing wrong with that.
what about a person with tap that is say 400+ ppm filled with too much Mg, Fe etc like Many, they don't or shouldn't use RO as part of their water mix? RO has its' place for sure, to dismiss it completely in growing or even AG is foolish and untrue.

It's not often used in large commercial AG Mainly because AG doesn't use straight from tap.. they have lakes, streams, rivers, ponds, reservoirs etc, it's also expensive vs other options to filtration - you're misleading and partially wrong in what you're saying, sorry
led05 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:40 AM #448
Agronomist

400 PPM of what? Total solids?
That number is totally normal, And i will not advise t use RO in this case.
If you want to know what your water contains you need to send a sample to a lab.
Only then you can make a good assessment if you need to use RO or not/.

At this point, it looks as tho you are misleading and partially wrong in what you're saying, sorry

AG?

Old 01-21-2018, 01:48 AM #449
led05

led05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really niceled05 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agronomist View Post
400 PPM of what? Total solids?
That number is totally normal, And i will not advise t use RO in this case.
If you want to know what your water contains you need to send a sample to a lab.
Only then you can make a good assessment if you need to use RO or not/.

At this point, it looks as tho you are misleading and partially wrong in what you're saying, sorry

AG?
400PPM filled with too much Mg & Fe, did you miss that part?..., This is very common for a lot of muni water, especially in the mountains... I understand lab analysis well, or I can get it for free, for muni water at least, like most municipal water supply in the USA which are required to file extremely detailed reports, much more in depth than your lab in case you care to know.

I don't want to detract from this thread but you couldn't help but call out the other guy here earlier so I felt compelled...

400ppm water is a very poor starting point unless somehow magically the bulk of it was Ca
led05 is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:53 AM #450
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

slownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Skunkman View Post
In my experience PM is linked to WLD varieties and their hybrids. (Wide Leaf Drug)
Use NLD varieties as they have lots of natural resistance to PM.
You can attempt to find WLD hybrid varieties that have higher resistance, I suspect it will not be easy. Some terpene expressions seem linked to higher or lower resistance also.
Good luck.
-SamS
Sam,

Lots of growers have knocked back PM issues getting their metal levels higher in the soil and the plant, most specifically Mn, Cu and Zn. All of which in sulfate form qualify as organic.

Most composts, worm castings and manures are loaded with Fe, causing massive balance issues against the other metals. Where you have Fe=>Mn, you can add 50 to 200% yield increases.

Without that ratio being close, the plant won't complex simple sugars, meaning that active production is greatly reduced due to a simple balancing problem.

Maui is one of those places where Mn>Fe by the way.

When there is not enough Ca, the cell walls are not as strong as well. Everyone that has gotten their soil analyzed (see the slownickel lounge thread) has had way too much K vs Ca.

Love your posts by the way!
I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN
TO THIS WORLD

-Harry Forster Chapins' Tombstone
slownickel is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.