What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

bostrom155 said:
...It mite be worth the 15 bucks.

It's $15 more for mogul 150w bulbs? If so, it's prolly because they're so rare.

I'm considering 200s on my next run, and those are moguls I think.

Have a link, man?

Last edited:

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Folks, an excellent suggestion was made to me by my buddy and long-time-member Sugabear. As a result, I have changed the opening post to our thread. Please review it and send me any comments or suggestions in a PM. As this thread belongs to all of us, my feelings won't be hurt if you want it changed. Thanks for everyone's support!

Pipedream

bostrom155

Hi Pipe, I like the idea of adding links applying to the 150's. One you might consider is 1000 bulbs. I have only ordered from e-conolight, but my friend has ordered from them. I'm condidering an upgrade of sorts to a mogul. It looks like 1000 has way more options and about the same price.
http://www.1000bulbs.com/

green_grow

Veteran
could someone please tell me if there is any difference between mogul and medium base, other than size ?

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Green Grow,
No difference at all. Lumens and cost of operation are exactly the same.

The mogul base has been around since the 30's. The larger size was used in high wattage lamps to help dissipate the heat. The SAE (Society of American Engineers) much later introduced it for use in HID's to prevent the average Joe Blow from screwing the wrong type lamp into a non-compatible fixture.

bostrom155

Hey all, well I got the idea at OG awhile back. I think it was Stallworth or something like that. He recommended that I switch the base to a mogul on my 150 and get the Mogul size bulb. Pipe is right, lumens or whatever measuring system you use, is the same. The idea is more coverage, the bulb is a few inches bigger (please don't come back with it's only 1.25" or something) it's more coverage. It's an idea that's all, that might be worth a 13 dollar investment. Just looking for peoples thoughts. Thanks guys, and Pipe your right I miss the old 150 club too.

green_grow

Veteran
sounds good ... next newbie question : i got a 150w hps security light. having opened it up i can see that i am going to have no trouble at all with making the ballast remote. wired to the ballast is a small white ceramic thingy; is this ceramic thingy a capacitor ... or what ? doesnt really make a difference, i just like to know what things are called so that i dont have to always refer to it as a "thingy".

G

hows it green? that thingy is your ignitor. unfortunately i have no smoke for 4/20 but heres some early mornin 4/20 shots for ya!

my C25
these are just starting to flower.

my cab
these are moving along nicely, hopefully i dont have too many height problems in the future.

HAPPY 4/20 & BE SAFE!

Hey guys,

suga, I have one more PDF you should look at; the most comprehensive ballast information condensed into a tiny package, and it addresses our wiring question specifically!

Click "TECHNICAL INFORMATION" towards the bottom of the page for this amazing PDF. Check around the site too, it's got some slick stuff in it.

http://nslights.com/products.html

Thanks for being so accommodating, Pipedream; I really like the vibe of this thread.

Another link you should consider is www.businesslights.com Great prices on quality ballasts...Venture. 150 watt hps (ball, igniter, and capacitor) for $28, or $10 more than the cheepos at E-conolight. I think all Ventures have a PF of over 90%. EDIT: While I've not yet ordered from them, I have heard from happy people who have. I guess the only drawback is no stealth shipping, but if you're just ordering kits,... And it is a "regular" lighting supply company, not a hydro store. I'll be getting some 200w lights for my next run from these guys.

Last edited:

sugabear_II

Veteran
HAPPY 4:20 to all !

:joint::sasmokin::joint::sasmokin::joint::sasmokin::joint::sasmokin::joint::sasmokin::joint

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

vern I'll take a look at that and get back to you.

Hey Pipedream the front page looks good - I also second the notion of adding the business lights link vern posted.

Vern have you ordered from them? if not a disclaimer just stating that while this site looks to be a good option nobody has tried them yet.

anyways back to the joys of 4:20

user_name I wish I could send you a joint to enjoy - nice pics btw - just think in a few weeks you'll never be wantin for weed again :D

B

buzzed day

hello i used to post some times under the 150 at og and i have a few questions if you all could help me?1st i have 2 150 in a verry small closet,i can get 2 big plants [in 3 gallon planters]sometimes 3 in there,i keep the lights about 6 inches off them.i get 4-5 oz off them but they are not solid buds they are loose,i scrog them,the lights are from e-conolights with their reflector.i use foxfarm ingredents,how can i make them more solidand if i switch to hydro would it improve my yeid and bud quilaty?thanks and have a buzzed day

sugabear_II

Veteran
buzzed day,

welcome to the 150 club!

A couple of thoughts.... about how to improve your density.

What strain are you growing?
some strains, especially sativas, will not get dense no matter what you do

How many bud sites are you allowing to grow on the screen?
I've found that allowing too many bud sites to grow up from the screen results in more buds but of a lower density and quality. In general I try to select no more than 6~8 bud sites per 1 square foot of screen.

How long do you veg?
In my limited experience too much veg time has been a problem as it resulted in too many bud sites and an overgrown screen. IMHO a week of veg is all you should do from a rooted clone. 2-3 weeks for seedlings.

Hydro will likely improve your yield and may also improve density significantly. Also you would be able to probably fit more plants in there. I would recommend giving DWC a shot. you will find that the plants in DWC will out grow the soil ones by alot in veg. And when you get to flower the buds should be bigger as the plant will have as much nutrients and O2 as possible available to it. Also I think you could probably fit more plants in your space as a 2 gallon bucket is as large as you will ever need.

I also grow using a 150 and flower in 1 gallon containers using mostly indica dominant strains (microcab). I end up with decently dense nuggs but I also come within 3 or so inches of the light. There is a pc fan blowing on the bulb to help keep temps around the bulb in check. Buzzed day what strain(s) are you currently growing that are giving you the sparse nuggs?

Fat Puta

Ty SS its the Fat Puta IBL Im working on
I have gotten it to the point where 2 Phenos are produced by my F4s
Some pics of seedlings for u

B

buzzed day

JollyGreeeenGIANT here's my pics frommy old grow at og i did ww/nl and purple crush/black domain

Last edited:

sugabear_II

Veteran
buzzed day,

well like I said I think selective pruning is key in SCROG - it looks to me like you have way too many bud sites on the screen. you really just want a few sites that will grow to mini-cola's instead of a bunch of sites and a bunch of branches with a bunch of airy buds.

also I think you said that you are still using the econo-light reflector, right?

well those are made for dispersing light over a large area - not directing it just to your plants - I would consider making my own reflector if i was you.

nice pics though - I assume the last few were not scrogged.

-suga