What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ideas For Side-By-Side Experiments

Rjstoner

besides the kiss vs canna coco i also would like to see sog Vs 1-2 month veg i wanna do both test i mentiond just gonna take a few months to get it all ready

Thor20

Can someone please do a side by side comparison of airpots and standard square pots, i found the airpots to do great in veg but the final product seemed inferior (not as dense), to be honest i was not a fan of them overall (neither was a friend who got some around the same time) but lately i keep seeing a lot of people using them and am beginning to wonder if i missed something.
Peace

medman225

i like the air pot comparison.... bUt Unless Im mistaken, somone already did a comparison.... and from what I remember the air ot oUt produced regUlar pots, I however have never heard of the air pots producing sUch inferior bUd as what U described... I believe I first heard aboUt them from Dj short.

I hav an idea for something.... why not some MNS BLACK WIDOW vs GHS WHITE WIDOW or MNS SSH vs GHS SSH etc.

why im throwing the idea out there instead of doin it myself.

Last edited by a moderator:

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
K.I.S.S for god's sake people Sleepy doesn't work at MIT and he doesn't have a lab so let's try to keep it simple considering were all stoner's here.

1. Clone versus Seed (same plant)
2. Soil versus Hydro Same plant
3. Water vs Water with Nutes
4. Veg test Floro vs MH
5. Same plant Topped vs Nontopped

IMHO these are going to have to start simple or else some of you scientists

are gonna pick it apart piece by piece and Sleepy is gonna say fug this and this wonderful Idea will be for NOT.

Be nice be civil or else I'll put Cappy on point:

He never runs out of bullets and is one hell of a shot so you make the call.

Have A Great Day
Mr.Wags

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Sleepy started this thread because I asked him to. *I* am going to be running these experiments.

Sleepy

Veteran
thank you all!!

anti, this next sentence is in no way directed at you:

lots of great ideas...i will probably not do any of them...

lets get some threads going, folks!

rooted

24+ hours darkness before harvest

shit i guess that's not really a side by side, is it :bashhead: still worth doing

Eugenics

How about the same cultivars from different breeders, for example GHS White Rhino, MNS Medicine Man, Nirvana White Rhino, and Medical Seeds Hammerhead....all are the narcotic, ass kicking rhino, except the Greenhouse one sucks, and you're wasting floor space. But the other 3 are very solid. Major league couchlock and make you sleep, like a narcotic.

Sleepy

Veteran
Lets Refocus A Bit...

Lets Refocus A Bit...

i copied this from my original post in this forum...it is a sticy at the top of the page...

"The main purpose would be to have a place where differing opinions on grow techniques can be shown in a controlled, side by side experiment. This will not be a place to compare varieties, nor will any baiting or trolling be tolerated. The new sub-forum will not be a spammers’ showcase, either.

Controlled experiments can't really be conclusive by using plants from the same seed lot...due to the fact that F1 and subsequent generations do not all produce like plants, there will always be variances in phenotype expressions, to one degree or another.

your side-by-side comparisons will all need to be approved before showing up on the forum, with only those that meet the requirements of a true side-by-side, or controlled experiment getting approved."

thank you for all of the suggestions!:tiphat:

Airnut

Well i did a hydro VS soil last year, use the same clones from one plant and did 6 in soil and 6 in hydro..
12L pots for soil and a total of 72Liters in the eb/flood hydrosetup.. (12 L each)
They where located under each 250W but shared the light and a 600W was used in addition during flower.
The buds did not get big but it shows the major differense in soil compared to hydro..

Now, i read the TOU and found that there is a problem..
under section 8a it tells i cant public reveal the strainname or where it is from.
Will this be a problem if not saying what name or from where it can be bought in order to show the hole setup?
If already i been violating some rules, then thats the reason i dont post much inhere, sorry to say..

I think my final question is.. Do i just post the pics and results and shut up about the names?

Teaserpictures..

Sleepy

Veteran
yes, you can show pics, just as long as your posts don't look like unsolicited advertising for the unnameable breeders (spam). you are fine.

de145

I think this could easily become the most important part of any of the grow forums if done carefully and well documented. I hope people who are able to do this will go for it.

- I would love to see a soil grow comparison of any any specialized nutes versus Miracle Grow General purpose fertilizer (24-8-16) used for a complete grow. Grow pictures and smoke report.

- Flushing versus not flushing smoke report.

- In a CFL cab 2700k vs 6500k for the flowering cycle.

- Superthrive versus none so we can put that silliness to rest once and for all.

- Pot size is a good one though I think it's a no brainer: the bigger the pot the bigger the plant to a point. The real question is the yield.

And finally any yield numbers *must* include the wet and untrimmed weight so we can eliminate those diffs or else yield stats are pointless. Cannastats has a good explanation about this: http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/fourtwenty/yor/3things.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i'd love to do a side by side sporting miraclegro vs ff bloom food(3 part)
same space, same light, same medium...gonna just try it anyway!!!

K1ndBudz

Im going to run a side by side in a slightly modified LC#1 mix between 100% organic teas, H&G Soil A & B + full line of additives, and recycled soil & just water.

Shandog

first off you should drop the GH. It tastes like poo. Canna coco and H&G coco's are the top chems available right now.

As far as Organic for the coco, Humboldt Organics is the only brand I know of for coco.
Anyone have any Coco organic grows they've finished out?

Last edited:
i have a nice little experiment going i would like to cross post if thats cool sleepy?

i have it currently in the coco thread, see my sig..

thanks.

Sleepy

Veteran
i don't think the forum allows duplicate thread in different sections...

if you want to do a side by side, separately, post up and i will approve it...

it would mean tracking two separate threads and updating them individually...

or if you prefer, we can move your existing grow thread to the side-by-side forum...

all the best!

areUkind

blumats vs badass handwatering in coco

blumats vs badass handwatering in coco

has someone done this experiment yet? i am really wanting to try blumats but not sure if its worth to compromise the love i could give each individual plant with good old hand watering...