What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Benefits of Vertical Growing

Bobbo4200

Veteran
Awesome lonely!! Another great show/reason for me to switch to vert... They were only 6" when you started flower and they turned into 2 1/2' bushes? Did you veg them horizontally under the 96w t5? That is how I would have to do it. I also have 4 UFO LEDs in the flower tent-would I still be able to put them above the plants in flower? Seems like I should/would be able to do it. Thanks for the info!

Lonely Pint

Thanks BOBO4200, Yes thats right 6", it does it's vegging in the first 5 to 8 weeks of 12/12.
As long as you get a root ball of say 4"x4" and 8 or so nodes. I just trim them back every week, and because they are under the T5, it slows the whole process down to my pace.
I can time it so that when one comes out, I have one ready to take it's spot. 16 spots and a 16 weeker, soon I will have them one in one out each week.
I stay under 2000 Watts, but more importantly, I can have 1850 Watts of flower. The t5 would always be needed to keep a mother, which is in a rooting pot. That gives me space for 12 pots under there, which is plenty.

The LEDs, my friend is trying this out right now himself, so I will know that answer better come the middle of June mate. I am skeptical about the amount of good it will do, but if you don't try then how do we find out things?
You will be able to cover the top budsites that are not getting direct bare bulb lighting, so it should make a difference, good luck with it.
Mate, I'm gonna say it myself now. Once you Vert, you never re-vert.
Sayings are sayings for a reason.....Because they're true.

Take care

Lonely Pint

No mate. Because the strain is such a long flowering strain, the first 5 weeks or so of 12/12 (the stretch ) is where she builds, and sets herself ready to bud. Whereas, and Indica or Indica dom would need to get a good base beforehand.
So in essence, you don't need to veg them. Just keep them under a weak light, in small pots until you need them. Then transplant into their final pots on your first day of flower.
I use hempy's now, but the choice is yours.
The thing for me, is when you scrog you have to top and train for weeks on end before you flip. Otherwise you can have empty spaces in your canopy.
With Vertical, with this strain, you only need 8 nodes, just let the lower ones catch up. It doesn't take long to get 8 nodes on a cutting.
If it looks like you won't cover the canopy, then root another cut. Or flower it out un-rooted if you only need a small area filled.
picture.php

Thats all I need there. the black pots are all the size needed before flower, and the tan coloured ones are for mothers.

Hope thats helped, cheers

Jbomber79

Veteran
doesn't the bulb need a shield of sorts say when you spray so that the bulb doesn't come into contact with water etc? mainly don't want a saftey hazard..

C

canon

Gram Oz-
I can't express the gratitude for this thread.
Took a bit to comprehend.
Hit the button and ordered what was needed and... well... frig horizontal. I can't imagine ever going back.

Honestly,, bron the bottom... THANK YOU!

Love & peace. Canon

noobwannaB

AWESOME thread, thank you!
Here's my garden after the vert change over

2eae57e1423a4a9433b1cc052cd942d3_zps57d63823.jpg

Tried bare bulb for awhile but just had too much trouble keeping temps down, so the cool tube with fan underneath and carbon scrubber mounted over and to the side seems to help. I have a window AC I run as well when temps outside get to the 75F+ mark. Tried not running it and temps got up into the mid 90s!!

Anyway, my girls are LOVING this set up....don't think I could ever go back. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
doesn't the bulb need a shield of sorts say when you spray so that the bulb doesn't come into contact with water etc? mainly don't want a saftey hazard..

You need to turn the lights off and let them cool before spraying or you might get a hot glass shower. I have a single curly fluorescent in a drop light socket I use when spraying.

justiceman

Veteran
I've been checking out the vertical section for the past few days. I've done a bunch of horizontal grows and I'm starting to wonder If I should have just been doing vert this whole time! Lonely I have the same dimensions as you(4 x 4 grow tent).

After my current horizontal run I'll switch to vertical bare bulb and give it a shot! All of the vert pictures around here just blow me away.

Here is my plan so far. Let me know if I'm missing anything or if anyone has any advice. Super Noob Vert man right here.

Space: 4 x 4 x 6.5 Grow Tent
Plants:6-8
Pot size: 2-3 gal
Medium: LC's Soilless mix.
Vert Style: Doughnut/Tree
Lighting: 600w HPS
Ventilation: 400cfm 6" inline(exhaust)/Honeywell fan(under the bare bulb)
Misc:Stakes/tomato cages/utility fencing

I've been using a 3x3 tray in my horizontal set up on blocks. I'm just going to take it out of the tent and just put down 6-8 saucers on the ground for super easy drain to waste and maximum vertical space.

So I've seen some pictures of people with cooltubes/or some type of utility fencing around the lamp to keep the plants from getting to close. Is a cooltube really necessary? I was thinking the Utility fencing(is that what you put around the lamp or is it a tomato cage?)should do the trick, but maybe if temps get really high I can switch to a cool tube. I saw that lonely didn't put anything around the light so i guess it's up to personal preference.

This is just a rough draft of an idea. I'm gonna get it set up in the next few weeks, and when everything is ready I'll start a journal in the vert section.

Good job vert growers! You are an inspiration. Thanks for supplying all the information too a vert noob like me:good:

badseed77

Awesome thread ! Inspirational stuff HGO
I have only been growing a few years and this year will take the plunge into vertical growing in my 5x5x8 tent .
I will either do stacked 600's or 400 and 600 .
I will be growing in coco (hand water run to waste ) in black 5 gal buckets and have wondered will the black propylene pot draw some of the heat from a 600 w affecting the temp of the root zone ? Or does the floor fan help keep the heat from affecting the pot and medium ?
Does a 600 w light 30-40inchs from a pot affect the medium temps much ?

redclover

I currently have a 5x5 perp vert tent. I need something ASAP, so I started all my strains 12/12 from seed. My tallest plant is 2', and look like they're going to be nice yielders...if not pollinated by my stud

Anyway, I'm using a bare bulb 860w CMH. This bulb's shaped like a football...I call it the Lombardy trophy ;). Wondering what height you guys would set this at with its MH shape? Should I use a light mover? Is the dead spot on top/bottom bigger? Thanks in advance.

D

DHF

I currently have a 5x5 perp vert tent. I need something ASAP, so I started all my strains 12/12 from seed. My tallest plant is 2', and look like they're going to be nice yielders...if not pollinated by my stud

Anyway, I'm using a bare bulb 860w CMH. This bulb's shaped like a football...I call it the Lombardy trophy ;). Wondering what height you guys would set this at with its MH shape? Should I use a light mover? Is the dead spot on top/bottom bigger? Thanks in advance.
Well Bro.....Rule of thumb with bare bulbs hangin is tip of bulb even with tops of plants till end of stretch , and then top of socket even with tops of plants till end of cycle with the bulb dropped down to penetrate sideways into the canopy...

You do have the plants circled round the bulb right ?...also....when possible , add another 400 watt hps below the CMH so as to have the proper 50 watts per sq ft , but first make sure environment`s dialed , and you`re off to the races....

Good luck and holler if I can help.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What this!!! Vert ?

What this!!! Vert ?

*01-03-2013, 06:54 PM- Great read.. Looking to try a Vert with a 400hps next to a couple Scrog. This read helped with some ? 'S

Thank y'all...
(A year later)
Shit.. Y'all may just be on to something with this Vert idea...

Before Vert...

1st Vert... Week 1 into flowering...

Latest Vert... Week 1 into flowering...

Much respect to those that laid the foundation of Vert~Ville® ...

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i don't understand this. why hang a bulb so the plant gets very little of its light?

Inorder to in courage maximum vertical growth till the end of stretch.
Then.. Ya drop the bulb to the center to feed the mass nodes created.

Is how I understand it and (it) works great ...