What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Instant cal-mag?

Sign

I was thinking of this in the car. Dolomite and pH down, after fizzing stops and neutralizes, the liquid portion would be cal-mag right? I'm not a chemist obviously but it would work wouldn't it?

troutman

Seed Whore
No, it wouldn't be cal/mag after the neutralization occurs.

If your pH down is phosphoric acid and it reacts with dolomitic limestone it will create
a mixture of calcium phosphate and magnesium phosphate. Carbon dioxide is released
as gas during this reaction.

I believe ca/mag is comprised of both calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate which
are both a lot more soluble than calcium phosphate and magnesium phosphate.

So the answer is still no it would not be cal/mag that you create. :tiphat:

Klompen

I would not assume that would be cal-mag. What exactly is in your pH down? Acetic acid? You could end up with an acetate of some kind that might not be soluble. Personally I'd ever get actual cal-mag products or provide them separately. Gypsum for calcium and epsom salt foliar for magnesium

Sign

Yeah it would be the phosphate since using phosphoric acid.

Wiki
[Calcium phosphates are found in many living organisms, e.g., bone mineral and tooth enamel. In milk, it exists in a colloidal form in micelles bound to casein protein with magnesium, zinc, and citrate - collectively referred to as colloidal calcium phosphate (CCP).[2] Various calcium phosphate minerals are used in the production of phosphoric acid and fertilizers. Overuse of certain forms of calcium phosphate can lead to nutrient-containing surface runoff and subsequent adverse effects upon receiving waters such as algal blooms and eutrophication.

Klompen

Its pretty hard to over-sulfur cannabis. Unless you drop the pH too low, its a very sulfur tolerant plant.