What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Lounge : Growers Round Table Discussion Thread

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
View attachment 467447

Coco salts. I ain’t sayin what the formula is, but this result kicks ass given 1 specific environment. Zero ipm. Having said that micros could be improved

Is there a bulk density to go with that or is that the solution numbers? I don't seem to see a lot of bulk numbers for coco around these parts, is why I ask.

jidoka

It is the numbers for the fertigation solution. It is used with royal gold tupur...bulk density on that stuff has gotta be super low

growingcrazy

View attachment 467447

Coco salts. I ain’t sayin what the formula is, but this result kicks ass given 1 specific environment. Zero ipm. Having said that micros could be improved

What a world of difference running Ca @ P levels instead of N levels... Micro's are for sure off but I bet that put in a good run.

Was this formula ran start to finish or just in flower?

Avenger

Veteran
dont call me, i DONT ANSWER the phone

Attachments

• jidoka nutrient analysis.jpg
    jidoka nutrient analysis.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 25

growingcrazy

lol.

Since We are looking at a nutrient sample from CHN... Avenger, I asked if I could send you a sample of homebrew liquid bone meal to be tested.

Will I get accurate results on organic liquids through the lab you use? Would single ingredient solutions be the correct method or just test the final solution? I normally brew and use within an hour...that is why I am concerned with transit and wait times after mentioning that anything that settles will not be tested. Do they shake the bottle before testing? lol

Thanks

Avenger

Veteran
The lab I use is perfectly capable of performing any analysis required. This particular analysis is simply direct ICP/OES analysis of the liquid sample. It will tell you what is in the solution NOW, as in what different ionic species are floating around in solution. If that is what you want to know, this is a good analysis to get. But if you want to know what the total or portion that may become available IF the circumstances in the future allow for it, then you should look into the different fertilizer material test standards for phosphate.

When you read a fertilizer label the percent P2O5 is what they call the "available" Phosphate.
AAPFCO said:
Available Phosphate
Guarantees
Available Phosphate (P2O5) is the sum of
the water soluble and the citrate soluble
phosphate in a product. (AAPFCO Official
Fertilizer Definition P-2) This is also the
amount of pentavalent phosphorus

So we have total phosphate, available phosphate, water soluble phosphate and citrate soluble phosphate. Which one do you want to test for?

growingcrazy

The lab I use is perfectly capable of performing any analysis required. This particular analysis is simply direct ICP/OES analysis of the liquid sample. It will tell you what is in the solution NOW, as in what different ionic species are floating around in solution. If that is what you want to know, this is a good analysis to get. But if you want to know what the total or portion that may become available IF the circumstances in the future allow for it, then you should look into the different fertilizer material test standards for phosphate.

When you read a fertilizer label the percent P2O5 is what they call the "available" Phosphate.

So we have total phosphate, available phosphate, water soluble phosphate and citrate soluble phosphate. Which one do you want to test for?

I'm just an uneducated customer. What would you recommend?

Process is Ball mill > enzyme digestion > filtration.

Avenger

Veteran
i live in the present.

if you filter out the solids, all that is left is the solubles. no?

Charles Dankens

Ive learned tons in this thread. Thanks growers.

Could I get some observations on my soil test, suggestions for getting things more in balance. I have a little time before I need to pot up. This mix is outside in barrels and next stop is 5 or 7gal fabric pots.

Would a couple flushes using gypsum and caco3 be a reasonably good start?

jidoka

Could I get some observations on my soil test, suggestions for getting things more in balance. I have a little time before I need to pot up. This mix is outside in barrels and next stop is 5 or 7gal fabric pots.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=77998&pictureid=1879947&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Can you tell us the history of this soil? What is it, has it been fed, have you used cano3 in it?

If you have grown in it how did it go

One thing...I would not add caco3 with that ph

Charles Dankens

Jidoka thanks so much.

This mix has been recycled over a few years. It started as a peat, perlte mix. Over the years its been used mostly for mj but also peppers and tomatoes. All of the roots of those crops are digested in there.

I've never used calcium nitrate. For N I use mostly feather meal, P i use NFTG bone meal and sometimes fish bone meal, for K I use castings and compost. For micro and trace I use sulfates. For aeration I use volcanic rock that doesnt leach. It does contain some rice hulls and also some very aged biochar.

I've grown some beauties in this mix but I've battled botrytis more than seems reasonable in my setup.
Also my plants seem to take a bit too long to get good roots going. In the end though they totally fill my pots. Like everyone id like to reduce pest pressure and increase potency. Yield isnt my biggest interest.

I can put up a plant pic if that helps.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Woof to that magnesium number. Where did that come from? Are these plants outdoors or what kind of lighting?

Charles Dankens

Woof to that magnesium number. Where did that come from? Are these plants outdoors or what kind of lighting?

Thanks bs,

Ya not sure on the mg. Ive got a lot of farmer friends and I've used some of their compost....my best guess.

This is an indoor grow of just a few pots at a time under a bridgelux cob fixture.3500k.

jidoka

So the EC and the nitrate are messing with me. I don’t see how it got that high given your ingredients. Those salts are scewing your test and suppressing your microbes

Do you have time to get a test on the soluble? Contact custom hydro and get a sample bottle and paperwork for the test above. But to get the sample grab a gt of that soil. Water it to your normal level. 1/2 an hr later water it with enough distilled water to fill the bottle

Your grow is running on those soluble salts. This should tell us why the disease

Charles Dankens

Thanks jidoka. I don't see a solubility test or kit listed on their site. I sent an email.

In nice weather I veg outside and grow a vegetable or 2 same soil.

One amendment that i neglected to list is alfalfa straw. I mulch every thing with alfalfa and plenty of it gets blended into the mix over tine.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran

You just have a bit of high nitrate, a big plant will take it.

Did you sift this sample before sending it in?

This mix hold lots of water?

I would cut the mix in half and add AIR aka chunky perlite or coco or rices hulls. With Mg that high, this stuff probably stays wet for ever. Once you get the airspace up, this high Mg will fall out quickly with all that S present.

Run some water through it and you will be fine.

Not really any space to add any thing. You have plenty of Ca unless of course you got a mouthful of gypsum in the sample which kind of looks like the case with all that Ca and S.

Charles Dankens

You just have a bit of high nitrate, a big plant will take it.

Did you sift this sample before sending it in?

This mix hold lots of water?

I would cut the mix in half and add AIR aka chunky perlite or coco or rices hulls. With Mg that high, this stuff probably stays wet for ever. Once you get the airspace up, this high Mg will fall out quickly with all that S present.

Run some water through it and you will be fine.

Not really any space to add any thing. You have plenty of Ca unless of course you got a mouthful of gypsum in the sample which kind of looks like the case with all that Ca and S.

Thanks SN

Yes it was sifted. I let a few cups of mix dry out thoroughly, then i sifted.

Yes it does hang onto water

Would you please explain why you say I have plenty of Ca but the report states 49% Ca saturation ? Do you suggest that I bring up copper or manganese ppm?

Latest posts

Latest posts