What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pit Bulls Maul and Kill Owner

Green Squall

I've always defended Pit Bulls, even after being bitten by one, but this story is making me wonder if maybe they really are inherently dangerous? I've always thought there are no bad dogs, just bad owners, so what caused these two dogs to kill the person who raised them from pups and eat parts of her corpse? From everything I've read, this poor woman treated her dogs like her children.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...he-woods-sheriff-says/?utm_term=.7fbc3e2f2d1a

This second link is is more detailed and graphic, so just a heads up.

https://wtvr.com/2017/12/19/longtim...isly-dog-mauling-they-were-very-passive-dogs/

Borderliner

spanky and our gang for those old enough to remember had a loving pit bull. My thinking is how they are raised makes more of a difference than breeding.

My neighbor has a pit bull that has killed coyotes and tore up other dogs in his yard. Very loving toward me and other.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I remember Petey.

Too bad about that woman. Sometimes people don’t realize that they are still animals and have inherent instincts. I’ve know some mean pits and also some very accommodating ones. Unfortunately the breed gets a bad rap and that’s probably from association. A lot of breeds can be temperamental.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have been a professional dog trainer for almost 15 years. There's good and bad in all breeds and 99% of the pits I have trained were wonderful dogs.

Most of what makes dogs bad comes from poor training or a lack of training. Not all that many dogs have rage.

The problem with this breed is that if you DO get a bad one, they definitely have the ability to do some damage. Many breeds (like Sheppards and Dobie's) will lunge, grab and hold. This trait has always made them good 'guard' dogs. Other breeds (like pits) will rip and tear once they have a bite on. This is not good.

Truth is, in all the years I have been training, I have only been bitten once to the point of blood. And, it was a toy poodle. LMAO Little fucker attacked me with the ferocity of any Pit Bull. LMAO

Green Squall

I have been a professional dog trainer for almost 15 years. There's good and bad in all breeds and 99% of the pits I have trained were wonderful dogs.

Most of what makes dogs bad comes from poor training or a lack of training. Not all that many dogs have rage.

The problem with this breed is that if you DO get a bad one, they definitely have the ability to do some damage. Many breeds (like Sheppards and Dobie's) will lunge, grab and hold. This trait has always made them good 'guard' dogs. Other breeds (like pits) will rip and tear once they have a bite on. This is not good.

Truth is, in all the years I have been training, I have only been bitten once to the point of blood. And, it was a toy poodle. LMAO Little fucker attacked me with the ferocity of any Pit Bull. LMAO

Do think the alpha was the ringleader and the other dog followed along? It kills me to think they turned on the person who loved them the most.

The Pit that bit my arm, I could tell the owner had poor control of him. Luckily it was winter and I was wearing three layers, otherwise it might have done some damage.

I've had a pit boxer mix for 13 years and he is incredibly mellow and loving. He's never snapped or even growled at someone or even been in a dog fight. He's great with kids. It's a huge misconception that they are bad dogs. It all has to do with how they are raised and cared for.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Impossible to say based on a news story which is probably only 20% true. However, some breeds, once properly motivated, are controlled very heavily by instinct. Take sight hounds, for instance. Once that 'rabbit' is let loose in front of them, not much on Earth will distract them.

Pits can be this way, once enraged. If an animal (or person) came out of the woods suddenly and with a lot of intention, that could have set the pits off into a frenzy. Once in a frenzy, friend and foe become blurred.

Impossible to say. My guess is, they'll blame it on Trump.

Supposedly that woman received death threats from someone in the week preceding this. I’ve also read that it looked like the dogs escaped to come to her rescue. There could be foul play involved.

What would make the dogs turn on their owner all of a sudden?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Stuff from the news implies a little mistreatment going on there. The girl had them as indoor dogs, but gave them to her father who put them outside. I imagine that made them a little wild though since they didn't get the socialization. This part is gross coming up now!!!!!! They found the dogs chewing her ribcage area. Did the father feed the dogs ever?

My neighbor has a pit that is the nicest dog I've seen lately. When I see the dog he licks me to death. He has a huge head and jaws so I don't want to get on the wrong side of him though.

B

bigganjabud

No bad dogs only bad owners

Euthanise the owners and give the dogs a second chance just in a far more tranquil setting

A couple members here have met my dog (pit x) and he's a dream and happy to let me be the leader of the pack (vrooooom)

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've always defended Pit Bulls, even after being bitten by one, but this story is making me wonder if maybe they really are inherently dangerous? I've always thought there are no bad dogs, just bad owners, so what caused these two dogs to kill the person who raised them from pups and eat parts of her corpse? From everything I've read, this poor woman treated her dogs like her children.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...he-woods-sheriff-says/?utm_term=.7fbc3e2f2d1a

https://wtvr.com/2017/12/19/longtim...isly-dog-mauling-they-were-very-passive-dogs/

damn, that article in the 2nd link was fairly graphic.......

my pitbull ScoobyDoo was either wired wrong or abused before I got her, I finally had to put her down, she couldn't get along with Alice, my springer spaniel & she had bitten me on 3 different occasions. :dunno: I hated to do it.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Blimey! poor woman!,,,
i am a total Pitbull lover,,best dog we ever had,,,
BUT if they go the other way then the damage they can do is huge,,,
did pack mentality take over?,,
only takes one to sense weakness and the others will follow,,,,,

blastfrompast

Veteran
It could have been as simple as her trying to stop a dog fight between them and getting caught up and bit in the process..

sometimes dogs don't wanna stop as long as the thing the dog has caught is squirming and screaming....i

I took a good bite to the arm from one of my GSD's when they were fighting and i got in to break them up, learned that it was easier to grab the scruff of their neck and twist pushing their heads to the floor away from each other than try and PULL them apart...
combined with "BITCHES....DOWN" !!!!

But i could see how this could happen

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Well, according to the 2nd article, both dogs were male and one was a rescue from an abusive home.

Both dogs had been 'neglected' for several weeks and left outside in the cold.

Don't read that article, you'll be sorry.

Green Squall

Well, according to the 2nd article, both dogs were male and one was a rescue from an abusive home.

Both dogs had been 'neglected' for several weeks and left outside in the cold.

Don't read that article, you'll be sorry.

Ya it was pretty graphic I'll put a warning above. As a dog lover and someone who had defended Pit Bulls in the past, I was surprised what happened and wanted to get others thoughts on the incident.

Green Squall

I've come across all kinds of dogs on my walks and some of the most unruly, rambunctious dogs seems to be untrained Labradors! Obviously a fantastic and great family dog, but not trained properly they can be a real handful. I've been charged a few times by some big ass Black Labs and I think the best thing you can do is stand your ground. If you start shying away and acting scared, I find they think its a game and don't let up.

I got lucky when I had my Lab/Shepherd/Hound mix. He was such a ham and training was easy. He gained his off leash freedom very quickly.

I am sick of people always making excuses for pit bulls and dragging out stats comparing them to other breeds etc. No matter how passive and family-oriented they seem, the fact is, the breed was selected (bred) for characteristics suitable for fighting. Big, strong, determined and inherently aggressive. Unlike an intelligent breed like Labradors, pit bulls (and similar breeds) are impulse-driven and can revert to a pack-like mentality when a trigger causes one to react. They should be banned IMO as it's no different than keeping a pet lion around the house.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
In the Southland here and have seen dogs f*ght a few times.

Never saw a pit bull lose against any breed, and matched
by weight two pit bulls in the dirt is both fascinating and
eye opening.

Had to see for myself, in no way do I support the activity,
and find the "sport" repugnant.

Poor woman never had a chance given the trigger response
this breed has.

Damn shame.