What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make a cloner for FREE. (step by step) + clone diary

bostrom155

Big Bud Bear said:
does this need light? and if so, how much light? 12/12? 24/0?

very little light is needed, maybe a 26w cfl a foot away, when leaves turn yellow, it's too much light. I do 24/0. 12/12 will probably put them into flower, if you need to sex them.

bostrom155

Big Bud Bear said:
also, what product do you lads recommend for cloning?

Do you mean a rooting hormone, no need for them this way. Just tap water in the rez, no nutes. Containers, string and a medium. I use Vermiculite and perlite mixed together. Was using just perlite, but I thought i'd use up some verm, dont need it for anything else. Good Luck

It sucks geting the roots out with alot of Verm, any tricks? Last clone grew roots throw the string, I'm using an wide apron string cut up.

Last edited:

Big Bud Bear

Grow your own, and you got the best bone
Veteran
bostrom155 said:
Do you mean a rooting hormone, no need for them this way. Just tap water in the rez, no nutes. Containers, string and a medium. I use Vermiculite and perlite mixed together. Was using just perlite, but I thought i'd use up some verm, dont need it for anything else. Good Luck

It sucks geting the roots out with alot of Verm, any tricks? Last clone grew roots throw the string, I'm using an wide apron string cut up.
What cloning agent do you use to instagate them into growing roots?

bostrom155

Big Bud Bear said:
werid, i thought you had to dip them into something. :chin:

Sure you can go and buy some rooting hormone if you want, but it's not needed, (wick cloner). Since cloning this way, i have more clones than i know what to do with.
If I was putting a clone straight into a dixie cup of dirt then yea maybe. Done it both ways, never seen a diff. Others will chime in with how they do it.

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
bostrom155 said:
Sure you can go and buy some rooting hormone if you want, but it's not needed, (wick cloner). Since cloning this way, i have more clones than i know what to do with.
If I was putting a clone straight into a dixie cup of dirt then yea maybe. Done it both ways, never seen a diff. Others will chime in with how they do it.
the thread starter mentioned he used a rooting hormone
:chin:

bostrom155

Yes, and Pontiac is the man, trust me :wave:
one of ic's best:pimp3:
Try it with and without, see the diff your self, either way they'll grow, I don't need clones to fast :joint:
Also what medium did you plan on going with?
I've used hormones when I put them into my peat mix off the tree. But the purpose of this is easy and it's just filling the rez and waiting, I don't even use a dome, check it out. And if I can elimanate as many steps as possible in the process, I'm cool with that. :kos:

Last edited:

Big Bud Bear

Veteran
bostrom155 said:
Yes, and Pontiac is the man, trust me :wave:
one of ic's best:pimp3:
Try it with and without, see the diff your self, either way they'll grow, I don't need clones to fast :joint:
Also what medium did you plan on going with?
I've used hormones when I put them into my peat mix off the tree. But the purpose of this is easy and it's just filling the rez and waiting, I don't even use a dome, check it out. And if I can elimanate as many steps as possible in the process, I'm cool with that. :kos:
hydro here

bostrom155

Big Bud Bear said:
i read that one a week or so ago, the one in this thread seems to be easier to make, and i dont need 50 clones, lol, just a few.

Me too, I was refferring to the hormone useage not the container size.

bostrom155

Big Bud Bear said:
what hormone, none is listed in first post

Exactally, thought we were talking about the use of hormones.

good luck with the cloning.

With Hydro you can do perlite too

Last edited:

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
Wow looks like you two had quite a chat. B155 is correct, you dont need hormones to clone. But the use of hormones will greatly increases the success rate and speed of rooting.

You can make your own rooting hormone with stuff you can easily find. For example, willow tree leaves have a natural rooting hormone in them. Just boil the leaves in water to extract the goodness, and spray the clones with it daily. The same goes for seaweed and red cabbage (not too sure about red cabbage though). But still, nothing beats the effectiveness of store bought hormones. Just my :2cents:. Goodluck with the cloning 3B!

Last edited:

bostrom155

Hey pontiac, I just like people to know that thiers more than one way to skin a cat, and Grat3fulH3ad didn't use hormone either.
New grow going yet? :wave:
Hard to believe how easy the wick is to clone, wish i'd have started with this, but knowing me I'd still have to do all the others too. :confused:
How do you guys harden your clones once thier in dirt? Or is this not even nessecary? I put them into a 16oz dixie cup after it starts rooting under a 20-26watt cfl about 3 inches away to start then within a few days to an inch, then after a few weeks under MH.

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
Yea, i wont use hormones anymore after my dip n' grow is finished. I just did an experimental clone about a month ago and my all the cuttings rooted with out hormones. It took 2x long but they still rooted.

I'll be growing again very soon, i recently decided on the items of my next setup and i'm ready to make an order.

Yea same here bro, i tried other methods b4 but this is the simply the BEST, no question.

I harden the clones by placing them in 1.5"-2" rockwool or oasis cubes (or any medium cubes). The clone will be ready for any medium once the roots have busted out of the cubes. Weaker clones will begin to wither and the roots wont appear out of the cubes, so just toss them away.

great im going to test it out. for the medium can i use clayball ? after they rooted shuoold i put it under 24/0 n for how long till i know its good for flowering?

Latest posts

Latest posts