What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make a cloner for FREE. (step by step) + clone diary

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
This is a wick cloner you can make using stuff you can find around the house. Supports 10-15 clones. (based on ooglebirds cloner from OG)

The wick system is the simplest hydroponic system you can build. It doesnt make any noise, doesnt use pumps, and doesnt have any moving parts. Instead it uses capillary action to provide water, while the surrounding air supplys oxygen to the roots.

Materials:
1) Two empty 1.5 liter soda bottles (Green Sprite/GingerAle bottles will greatly reduce chances of algae growth)
2) One empty 2 liter soda bottle (Must be clear)
3) Wick material of your choice (Mop strings, Candle Wicks, Show Laces, twine etc)
4) Grow media of your choice (vermiculite, builders sand, rockwool pieces etc) (Should be able to absorb water, not repel)
*(note- for a bigger cloner, replace item 1 with with 2 liter soda bottles, and replace item 2 with a 3 liter soda bottle. Supports 15-25 clones.)
*(note- for a micro cloner, replace item 1 with with 20 ounce soda bottles, and replace item 2 with a 1.5 liter soda bottle. Supports 5-10 clones.)

Total Cost $0

Alternative Design Using Empty CD-R Spindles (by: panopticist)

Last edited:

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
CONSTRUCTION

101521a.jpg

101522.jpg

101523.jpg

101524.JPG

101525.jpg

101526.jpg

101527.jpg

101528.jpg

101529.jpg

IMPORTANT Dont squeeze in too many wicks through a single hole, it'll just clog up and water wont flow through the wicks very well. Wicks and medium MUST be moist at all times or else theres a flaw with your cloner.

Last edited:

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
CLONE DIARY

I dipped the clones basal in dip n' grow at 10x concentration. I'll spray them daily with a very weak nutrient solution to keep them healthy. Hopefully they'll clone within 7 to 14 days. (They are AK48 clones)

I'll post an update after they root.

1015210.jpg

1015211.jpg

Well thats about it. Happy cloning. :rasta:

Last edited:

stevr59

yeah i made one just like it a wile back but i didnt make the dome part so far i got 100% succesc out of it and 10 days root time where i just made a bubbler cloner and got 100 % failure but this may be due to not paying my power bill and was with out power for 12 hours.

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
OK, so this pic was taken exactly 11 days after taking the clones. Thats a new record for me! :woohoo: The roots are nicley developed, ready to go into a soil/soil-less mix. Give it some more time if youre doing hydro.

10152Roots_11_days.jpg

Last edited:

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
Yea, i cant believe something so cheap can be so effective. 100% percent root success.

highlife4me

couple questions: one, at what intervals are you changing out the res water? two, are you adding any nutrients to the res water? three, any holes in the humidity dome? (wouldn't think so, but want to make sure, as I'd like to try this set-up)

pontiac

Pass That S**t!
Veteran
highlife4me - I never change the water; its about a 7-14 day cloning period and changing it would be unnecessary, just add more water if the res evaporates. No, adding nutes to the water isnt necessary either, the clones have no roots and can absorb little or no nutes through the basal end. Its better if you foliar feed them with a very weak concentration of all purpose ferts; leaves can absorb nutes just as well as roots. Yea i guess some holes wouldnt hurt. :wave:

swampskunk- thanks! :wave:

bostrom155 - Nice looking cloner you got there! :wave:

I just wanna say that i like wick cloners ALOT better than Aero cloners. I've had 100% success with this cheap wick cloner, but had about 60-70% with my old 10k style aero cloner.

bostrom155

pontiac said:
I just wanna say that i like wick cloners ALOT better than Aero cloners. I've had 100% success with this cheap wick cloner, but had about 60-70% with my old 10k style aero cloner.

me too