What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

smoking marijuana as bad as tobacco?

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Here's a somewhat questionable article currently being passed off as 'news' on msn.com.

I'm only posting it here, now, because we'll probably be hearing more about this as it makes its way around.

www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/ma...-affects-your-heart/ar-BB1aZM6d?ocid=msedgdhp

Marijuana can be just as bad as tobacco — here's how it affects your heart

Marijuana raises heart rate and makes the heart pump harder.
Some research has indicated that smoking marijuana — like smoking cigarettes — can increase your risk for heart disease.
While marijuana use likely harms your heart, further research is needed to determine what it exactly does to cardiovascular health.
This article was medically reviewed by John Osborne, MD, PhD, and the Director of Cardiology for Dallas-based State of the Heart Cardiology.
This story is part of Insider's guide to Heart Disease.
Smoking cigarettes is known to be one of the biggest risk factors for heart disease. And with more states legalizing marijuna and more people smoking cannabis, it's worth considering how it compares to tobacco.

While research is limited on how marijuana affects the body, here's what we know so far about what it does to the heart.

How marijuana affects the heart
Cannabis is filled with cannabinoids, or psychoactive chemicals unique to the plant. One cannabinoid called delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is what mainly causes the psychoactive effects a person feels when they smoke or ingest the plant.

Cannabinoids raise resting heart rate and make the heart pump harder. According to a 2019 study, the literature available on cannabis suggests it can affect the heart in three major ways:

Cannabis arteritis. Heavy cannabis use can inflame arteries, damage blood vessel walls, and reduce blood flow to the organs.
Cannabis-induced vasospasms. A vasospasm is when the muscular wall of an artery contracts, causing the artery to narrow and decrease the amount of blood that can go through it.
Platelet aggregation. This involves tiny blood cells called platelets clumping together and forming clots, which can block blood vessels and reduce blood flow.
Smoking marijuana is likely worse for your heart than edibles
Smoking marijuana might be worse for your heart than taking it in other ways, such as through edibles, says Nav Bajaj, MD, a cardiologist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

"When you smoke, marijuana is converted into different chemicals as well, which apart from the cannabinoids may have their own deleterious effect on the heart and the blood vessels." However, Bajaj notes that there needs to be more studies to know for sure.

According to the American Lung Association, smoking marijuana has been shown to expose you to the same toxins, irritants, and carcinogens as smoking tobacco. Moreover, when smoking marijuana, users often inhale more deeply than cigarette smokers, and that can lead to more tar exposure.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Here's a somewhat questionable article currently being passed off as 'news' on msn.com.

I'm only posting it here, now, because we'll probably be hearing more about this as it makes its way around.

www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/marijuana-can-be-just-as-bad-as-tobacco-here-s-how-it-affects-your-heart/ar-BB1aZM6d?ocid=msedgdhp

Some research has indicated that smoking marijuana — like smoking cigarettes — can increase your risk for heart disease.
While marijuana use likely harms your heart, further research is needed to determine what it exactly does to cardiovascular health.
This article was medically reviewed by John Osborne, MD, PhD, and the Director of Cardiology for Dallas-based State of the Heart Cardiology.
Smoking cigarettes is known to be one of the biggest risk factors for heart disease. And with more states legalizing marijuna and more people smoking cannabis, it's worth considering how it compares to tobacco.

While research is limited on how marijuana affects the body, here's what we know so far about what it does to the heart.

Cannabis is filled with cannabinoids, or psychoactive chemicals unique to the plant. One cannabinoid called delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, is what mainly causes the psychoactive effects a person feels when they smoke or ingest the plant.

Cannabinoids raise resting heart rate and make the heart pump harder. According to a 2019 study, the literature available on cannabis suggests it can affect the heart in three major ways:

Cannabis arteritis. Heavy cannabis use can inflame arteries, damage blood vessel walls, and reduce blood flow to the organs.
Cannabis-induced vasospasms. A vasospasm is when the muscular wall of an artery contracts, causing the artery to narrow and decrease the amount of blood that can go through it.
Platelet aggregation. This involves tiny blood cells called platelets clumping together and forming clots, which can block blood vessels and reduce blood flow.
Smoking marijuana might be worse for your heart than taking it in other ways, such as through edibles, says Nav Bajaj, MD, a cardiologist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

"When you smoke, marijuana is converted into different chemicals as well, which apart from the cannabinoids may have their own deleterious effect on the heart and the blood vessels." However, Bajaj notes that there needs to be more studies to know for sure.

According to the American Lung Association, smoking marijuana has been shown to expose you to the same toxins, irritants, and carcinogens as smoking tobacco. Moreover, when smoking marijuana, users often inhale more deeply than cigarette smokers, and that can lead to more tar exposure.
Too many unknowns to validate the rest. Bold text... That's a fact Jack!

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
smells funny

smells funny

OK, so it looks to me like this article is mainly pure speculation based on possibilites and also free advertising for State of the Heart, a small private clinic in Dallas and John Osborne is the CEO/only Doctor with assistants:

https://sothcardiology.com/

Ringodoggie

Premium user
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1277837/

Abstract

More people are using the cannabis plant as modern basic and clinical science reaffirms and extends its medicinal uses. Concomitantly, concern and opposition to smoked medicine has occurred, in part due to the known carcinogenic consequences of smoking tobacco. Are these reactions justified? While chemically very similar, there are fundamental differences in the pharmacological properties between cannabis and tobacco smoke. Cannabis smoke contains cannabinoids whereas tobacco smoke contains nicotine. Available scientific data, that examines the carcinogenic properties of inhaling smoke and its biological consequences, suggests reasons why tobacco smoke, but not cannabis smoke, may result in lung cancer.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Not only does cannabis smoke not have the activators to convert the carcinogens (existing only in their precursor form), the cannabis smoke actually has constituents that encapsulate the carcinogens in their precursor form to ensure they don't become activated from another source.

At least... according to that paper.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Tobacco is far worse. Nicotine is a poison and a lot more toxic than any Cannabinoid. ;)
Although nicotine was used as an insecticide, it is nothing more than a stimulant and is similar to caffeine. It is the combustion of plant material that causes the tar build up in the lungs.

Just look at the end of a joint, all the tar collected near the tip or, your bong. Not all the tar and shit was filtered through the H2O.

I don't know when that article was written, nor do I really care.

We need more studies not news articles and those studies need peer review and, there will always be those who support cannabis in a medical setting, where others associate it with "refer madness" still.

BTW, Blue Dream actually lowers your BP :)

T

Teddybrae

Well, cannabis smoke used to rip shit outa my lungs! I was a long term nicotine smoker tho'.
Now if I eat too much I get pains around my heart. (Maybe it's a lack of muscle flexibility and I 'm experiencing becoming a fossil?)

mr.brunch

Veteran
I thought all cannabis lowers your blood pressure by dilating the blood vessels - that’s why the heart beat increases, to make up the lost pressure

Btw, for what it’s worth I’ve had a chest and abdominal scan in the past few weeks, and it has come back as a clear chest... I’ve been a heavy weed smoker for 30 years.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
That article has at it's core: " Give us MORE MONEY for us to try to prove our point".

While there MAY be something to the dope doing something to arterie walls, keeping them from expanding with increased muscle workload, the production of Nitric Oxide which regulates that, has lotsa triggers. Green leafy veggies, largenine, are what I should be taking, to make up for old age reducing my Nitric Oxide. Is pot also working against me?

LOL, I was high when I took a heart stress test a while ago. They said I was fine.

My lungs have gone from badly abused with paints and chems, smoking way too long from a beer can pipe - to feeling clean and healthy. They shouldn't, but they do. Seated SPO2 has improved from from 91 to 97+. I attribute that entirely to vaping terpenes and not oils. I have seen a vid about people laughing about "lung cleaner", but for my lungs this method feels good.

I solo'd a doob this evening, and my lungs feel sticky and heavy inside. I am sure some vaping will fix that.

edit: In the state thread on AZ, somebody posted about Subcool's last days. Evidently he had COPD (a catch-all term) and smoking sift was making him worse. This is the first data point I have read about pot being bad for your lungs. I know what I feel after hitting a doob, band the post said his lungs were at 27%. Wow.

And what is this "spice" BS? Synthetic THC, sprayed on leafy matter like the old "Angel dust" was with PCP. I thought that crap went away 10 years ago.

With Hemp flower at $50/qp delivered, a person could do a lot better than potpourri for the base material. Isomerize some CBD, and that would be a whole lot better than the "spice" that is supposed to be hurting people.

Last edited: