What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autumn grow

aliceklar

Seedlings

Seedlings

All 3 AK autos up - look nicely vigorous. I just put these guys straight into soil at about 25c and watered them in, no pre-soaking or paper towel, etc.
All the other seedlings started on 11th Nov are doing well. Have just repotted most of them into 9cm pots. Wasnt able to get a decent picture of the TRSC Afghans, but they are looking fine. Will get some more pics soon. The Medical Mass x White Rhino are all healthy and remarkably uniform - all 6 germinated within a couple of days. The Sherbet Queen is growing more slowly - note the deformed and mottled leaves. I suspect there is some endogamy here with all the GSC/Pink Panties backcrosses in her genetics.

zif

Veteran
End of 8th week, and I've chopped the 3 Purple Bud x Blueberry F1s. Some of still had a few white pistils, but all nicely frosty and frankly looking so tired (inc leaf necrosis on some sugar leaves) that I thought it was time. All had mature seed clearly visible. All smelling good - leaning more toward mum than dad. Little disappointed with the messy bud formation - quite irregular with large sugar leaves - interested to see what segregates out in the F2.

#2, which was the one with some deformed and asymmetrical leaf formation initally, seems to have produced the most bud. #1 has the best purples on leaf and bud. #4 has some paint splatters from where I repainted the adjacent veg space... ooops. Will trim those off!

View Image View Image View Image

Really wish I could find my usb microscope.... want to check the trichromes. Ah well.

Seeding can really change the bud structure - and even aromas. I know you’re thinking in the long term, but you might have had a very different evaluation if you ran these ladies in a dialed-in sinse run! :D

How exciting is it to have F2s you’ve made ready to explore, though!?! I’m psyched to see what you get. :good:

aliceklar

Seeding can really change the bud structure - and even aromas. I know you’re thinking in the long term, but you might have had a very different evaluation if you ran these ladies in a dialed-in sinse run! :D

How exciting is it to have F2s you’ve made ready to explore, though!?! I’m psyched to see what you get. :good:

It had not occurred to me that seeding might have those effects... good info, thank you! heh, not sure I'll ever do a pure sinse run - I just cant hold back from popping seeds and shaking pollen! Cept maybe if I did a mega grafted scrog with 8 different strains on one plant - that would be epic!

And yeah - F2s :D V excited! Am in my early stages as a grower, so still doing initial evaluations of strains I've never smoked before to see if I want to work with them in future. Might not be until next year that I get round to growing out some of the PBxBB F2s, tho I definitely will at some point soon because I liked both the parent strains, and the mum was a banger. Too many seeds! Have also promised someone I'll make some regular auto seeds for them as a project, suitable for a short season grow c. latitude 52. Thats a fun project but will take up most of my space for the next grow or two. Might make it a new thread...

zif

Veteran
Oh, you’ve got it bad! I’m sorry to say there’s no cure for the breeding bug - you can only manage the symptoms. ;-)

Dusting just a bud or two per plant is one Rx. You can also try the meditation on how many lifetimes you’d need to really evaluate your collection, at your current rate. Both are absolutely temporary measures, though!

Grafting flowers is phenomenal. Do try it. Grafting keepers is the real game-changer.

You’ll have an insta-sub from me on your auto project. I’ve just popped some F2s from my own. Hoping for at least one full auto male, but at 1 in eight plants the numbers are against me. I’m ok with leaving it up to the gods of chance. :bigeye:

aliceklar

Oh, you’ve got it bad! I’m sorry to say there’s no cure for the breeding bug - you can only manage the symptoms. ;-)

Dusting just a bud or two per plant is one Rx. You can also try the meditation on how many lifetimes you’d need to really evaluate your collection, at your current rate. Both are absolutely temporary measures, though!

Grafting flowers is phenomenal. Do try it. Grafting keepers is the real game-changer.

You’ll have an insta-sub from me on your auto project. I’ve just popped some F2s from my own. Hoping for at least one full auto male, but at 1 in eight plants the numbers are against me. I’m ok with leaving it up to the gods of chance. :bigeye:

Thanks dude. Yeah, there is not much hope for me :covereyes:lol
Definitely am going to persist with the grafting. First experiment failed, but I think I know why. Will try again. Both for the fun of it, and to give the next generation of Johaar a deeper soil without using too much extra volume of soil, and to increase the number of clone mums I can keep in a very small space.

Will post more about the auto project soon. Might try to up the numbers by dense planting in larger pots, and then culling all the ones that dont autoflower.

And here are the Afghans, which were mostly potted on from 7cm to 9cm pots a few days ago. This was taken a day ago - they are growing fast. Just before lights out I topped all of the larger seedlings just above the 3rd true node (#3 in the 7cm pot had some initial issues with its root, and is a bit stunted as a result, so has been neither topped nor repotted). Have also started a separate thread about this seed batch in the Landraces forum.

zif

Veteran
Solid plan. It’s nice that we can cull the non-autos so fast.

I might try STS on mine. I like 1 in 4 giving auto pollen a lot more than 1 in 8. So much for respecting Tyche. Lol!

aliceklar

Week 9 flower

Week 9 flower

Pretty colours :)

picture.php

And the AK autos are coming along nicely.
picture.php

aliceklar

Dance World & Blueberry chopped, end of 9th week flower and both showing intense leaf colours & mature seed. Dance world has this lush dark coppery colour, and the blueberry is looking... well... almost blue :biggrin: Hands are sticky with resin after trimming them for hanging.

Purple Bud x Blueberry F1s have been hanging for a week now and the outside of the buds just starting to get a little crispy - into jars they go for curing. Smelling delicious.

Afghan & Medical Mass x White Rhino F1 seedlings looking good. Topped them 5 days ago. Sherbet Queen is quite the runt - malformed leaves and mottling.

After one of the fecida 50w cobs that I'm currently using for veg died an early death, I've decided to get another spider farmer SF1000 - I can keep it turned down to 80%. Such good lights.

aliceklar

Johaar continuing to pack on big fluffy buds. #10 is absolutely laden.
AK Autos coming along nicely - raised up right under the light to stop them stretching too much. Nitro Lemon Haze (to the right) nearly done - just need to check that the seeded buds are sufficiently mature.
picture.php

JNLH#8 is nearly there, and seems to be doing more or less what I wanted in terms of size, bud formation, scent and speed to ripeness. Smell is intense hashy lemon. Looking forward to growing out the F2 seed from this one.
Buddah is also nearly there (foreground), and has a sickly-sweet-n-sour stink to it.

Gelato is budding up nicely, with hardly any stretch.
picture.php

Afghan mix (TRSC) and Medical Mass x White Rhino F1s doing well a week + after topping. Sherbet Queen (RQS).... hmmm... runty and deformed, with lots of leaf mottling. I topped her too a week ago. Maybe unwise. Lets see how she does.

aliceklar

End of week 10 flower

End of week 10 flower

Johaars are maturing now - mum went to 18 weeks but these will be done a few weeks sooner. Still dropping seed... hopefully there will be enough left attached to the plants by the time they are ready to harvest - Im just chucking the dropped seed into my random seed stash.

Gelato cutting that I moved into flower a couple of weeks ago is budding nicely, and the flower space is starting to look a bit bare, as the Highland Thai, the Michka, two of the Johaar x Nitro Lemon Hazes, and one of the Nitro Lemon Hazes have now been harvested and are drying.

Will move the Medical Mass x White Rhino F1s and the Afghan Mix into flower at the weekend to sex them, repotting the females when they show sex and taking a cut of each. The Sherbet Queen is still a runty mutant.
picture.php
picture.php

aliceklar

Chop chop

Chop chop

The last Nitro Lemon Haze & last JxNLH (#8) were looking so tired I pulled the plug on them today - seems using the small pots (1 litre) has significantly speeded up ripening.

Johaar by comparison (in a 1.5 litre pot) has lots more bud, but much airier structure than the NLH. Interesting to grow the three alongside like this. It looks like the smaller plant but it is really not - the main stem has been N folded as well as the growing tip being supercropped and tied down. Really nice sweet funky lemon terps on the NLH, and the JNLH has combined some of this with the lemon scent from the Johaar. Will expect some intense things in the F2.

picture.php

aliceklar

Medical Mass x White Rhino

Medical Mass x White Rhino

Moved the MMxWR F1s into flower last night. Giving them very dilute liquid feed at the moment until they show sex, at which point I'll remove the males, repot the females, and take cuttings.

picture.php

Most of them have quite distinctively serrated, deeply ribbed leaves, but one (bottom left above, and close up below) has much rounder flatter leaf formation:

picture.php

In other news I started smoking the Purple Bud x Blueberry. I know I should leave it to cure for longer, but I couldn't wait :D Very nice indeed! Smooth smoke with piney incense much like the Purple Bud mother, but happier and more active - very sociable, chatty weed, and no noticeable comedown. Am very glad I accidentally made about 100 seeds of this! Also looking forward to growing out the F2.

aliceklar

Week 12 Johaars

Week 12 Johaars

picture.php

Wondering how much longer till I cut these. Seed mother was 18 weeks, but these have been bonsaied and flowered under a shorter daylength & are looking relatively advanced. All have the same zesty lemon cleaner smell. They are still putting on a few new white pistils, the buds are still bulking up slowly, and they are still relatively green, but also looking tired - some of the old pistils from the first flowering are falling off entirely now, and they are all shedding seed. Johaar #2 is starting to hermi significantly, so that will have to go in the next day or so - but I did nab a little early pollen from it to make some seeds with a bud of the gelato (more of this in the next post).

Johaar #2 hermi flowers
picture.php

aliceklar

Gelato at end of week 3 & 4

Gelato at end of week 3 & 4

picture.php
picture.php

Gelato has been budding well, starting to frost, & getting a nice aromatic baked goods aroma, but over the last 2 weeks or has also started yellowing and browning some leaves. Surprised as I repotted it a month ago into a 3 litre pot with some organic amendments. But it seems a hungry bunny. For the last week I've been giving it half strength tomato food, plus a little maxicrop seaweed extract, & epsom salts. Have been using tap water with malic acid added to bring ph to 6.5 (very hard water, lots of calcium carbonate).

The plant was a cutting from a friend who grew it from bagseed - & didnt keep it going themselves. Although I've kept a cutting in veg, I would like to make some seed as it is a good producer of sweet aromatic bud with muscle melting potency, so I used a bit of Johaar pollen from #2. Interested to see what such a wide cross produces..

aliceklar

Medical Mass x White Rhino F1s

Medical Mass x White Rhino F1s

Fairly sure 2-5 are boys - all stretching significantly and showing preflowers, That leaves 1 & 6, which I have just repotted into 5 litre pots with amended compost and a little extra top-dressing, with a layer of sand and gravel on top to deter fungus gnats and reduce evaporation. The boys can stay in their 1 litre pots. #1 is the same characteristic form as the boys - #6 is the round leaved mutant.

Also chopped Johaar 2 #2. Could have gone for a bit longer but lots of male flowers about to pop.

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
It´s a good looking 12 Week Johaar you have aliceklar
Almost ready for harvest...

Too bad with the late (maybe sterile?) maleflowers on #2

The Galotos are really getting sticky now.

P :smoke:

aliceklar

It´s a good looking 12 Week Johaar you have aliceklar
Almost ready for harvest...

Too bad with the late (maybe sterile?) maleflowers on #2

The Galotos are really getting sticky now.

P :smoke:

Thanks Paddi :) Will find out if the J#2 was sterile or not by seeing if the gelato bud I dusted makes any viable seed... but yeah it was a shame to chop it early. Still, I have #8, #10 and #11 going strong.

Wondering if you have any advice for the gelato? Dont want to pester it to death - am minded to just continue with light nutes for a few more weeks, then let it finish off on water, in spite of the sickly leaves.

In other news, I've been using my xmas hols to sample the Johaar x Nitro Lemon Haze F1s. Intense lemon/lime candy with just a little underlying funk, and a creeper head stone. Waves of trippy cerebral rush, fading into a gentle body relaxation after a couple of hours. Nice! more research needed tho ;)

aliceklar

Afghans & MMxWR F1s

Afghans & MMxWR F1s

Males:
MM x WR 2-5
Afghans 2 & 5

Females:

MMxWR 1 & 6
Afghan Mix 1, 3 & 4

All females now potted on in 5 litre pots, and the boys banished to the bathroom.

Gelato still looking sickly - may have to up the nutes.

aliceklar

Medical Mass x White Rhino F1 males

Medical Mass x White Rhino F1 males

Looking fine! :)

Will be using the fattest of these fat bois to make F2 seed, also with the (feminised) Sherbet Queen which went into flower yesterday, and with the RQS Royal AK Autos, which are still in "veg" - seeing as they dont need a photoperiod, will see what I can do with them under some small LEDs.

aliceklar

Think I've figured out the problem with the gelato - it is probably not lack of nutrients directly - but I realise I was overwatering it after moving to a larger pot, before the roots had properly filled it out. Have cut down on the watering, not giving any further nutes for now and only watering every 2-3 days instead of daily. Likewise am being careful with the Afghans and MMxWR that were recently transplanted into 5 litre pots, not giving any food, and watering less frequently.

Pollinated the Royal AK Autos with the best (earliest, horniest) of the MMxWR F1s. AKs are budding up nicely. Harvested the RQS Northern Light Auto. Very pretty, and nice buds, but not very productive.

Feminised seed is an irresistible challenge to me :smoke: Cant make seed with this, you say??

All the Afghans, and the MMxWR, are now flowering. Liking this new batch of plants - 2 of the Afghan females (and both the males) are distinctly similar, in terms of form, colour & leaf shape, whilst the third is much squatter, crazy short internodal distance, with broader, darker glossier leaves. Surprised to see variation in the MMxWR F1s also - whilst most have a habit similar to the 2 Afghans, one of the females has much rounder leaves with shallower serrations. And watching the Sherbet Queen with interest - now in flower, just starting to show, having bushed out a bit and looking less peaky than it did initially - but still with lots of leaf variagation.

Last edited: