What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autumn grow

aliceklar

Autumn is approaching, so I started the following seeds this morning for my cold season grow: (mothers always listed first in describing crosses)

• 2: Buddah (MSNL) - last grow I had trouble germinating these, and only had a male (I've kept a clone). Lets see if I get a female this time with the last two seeds. I crossed the male with a few other strains, but want to see what the females are like before growing out any offspring.
  • 1: Northern Light Auto (Feminised, RQS) - planning to pollinate this with something interesting and make some auto seeds.
  • 6: Purple Bud (White Label, feminised) x Blueberry (MSNL) - Interested to see how this F1 works out, and also planning to pollinate to get F2 seeds. Blueberry and Purple Bud are two favourites from my last grow, both nice balanced indica leaning hybrids - the Purple bud harder hitting and the Blueberry happier.
  • 5: Dance World (Fem, RQS) x Johaar#1 (RSC) - Dance World was not a strong grower, but I really liked the effect - high CBD, energising and uplifting, with a nice diesel/ginger spicy incense flavour. Johaar was a mellow feel-good winner, high yielding but fox-taily and 18 weeks to mature. High hopes for the offspring. Again, will pollinate to produce F2 seed.
  • 5: Johaar#2 x Johaar#1 (RSC) - last grow there were two very distinct Johaar phenos showing - one was faster, with bigger buds, the other much slower and more fox-taily, but with a nicer high. Interested to compare how home made seed works out, and compare against the Dance World cross.
  • 7: Nitro Lemon Haze (MSNL) - growing out the remaining stock of this one, hoping for a female this time. Last grow I had poor germination, and only produced males, although I used some to make crosses. Interested to see how they grows/smoke.
  • 5: Johaar#2 x Nitro Lemon Haze - hoping for something that stays on the sativa side of the spectrum with the feel-good vibes of the Johaar mum + reduced flowering time from the NLH (if MSNL were accurate with their estimate of 8-10 weeks in flower).
Will also be growing out a Dance World clone, and a Highland Thai (RSC) clone.

Setup as in my journal, with veg under 2 x Fecida 50W COB LEDs, and flower under a SF1000 100W Spider Farmer Quantam board. Will be growing in amended compost in small pots - 3-5 liters. Again growing for variety and in sufficient numbers to compare and select, rather than maximising yield from individual plants.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I hope you have 3 months without a freeze if they are going outdoors. That Nitro Lemon Haze will need 4 months in flowering to reach maturity. It will be interesting to watch how well they flower in the Fall. Good luck!

Last edited:

aliceklar

I hope you have 3 months without a freeze if they are going outdoors. That Nitro Lemon Haze will need 4 months in flowering to reach maturity. It will be interesting to watch how well they flower in the Fall. Good luck!

Thanks dude! All my grows are in a cupboard under LED lights - sadly I dont have a safe place to grow outdoors. Will let you know how the NLH does... MSNL claim 8-10 weeks but we will see.

aliceklar

Seeds

Seeds

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

aliceklar

Such a good feeling when the seeds pop :D

Seeds were started off in plastic tubs, folded into a wet paper towel, kept above the veg area where its consistently warm (25-28C). Good germination so far, and gratifying to get 100% germination so quickly with home made seed.

DWxJ 5/5 germinated
NLH 4/7 germinated
Buddah 1/2 germinated
J#2xNLH 1/5

aliceklar

Aaaaand the early emergence prize goes to one of my home-mades, Dance World x Johaar 03 :) such a stout lil cutie <3 Two of the other five have also now emerged above ground this morning - am really impressed by their vigor. :canabis:

picture.php

picture.php

Honourable mention also to Buddah 01 (MSNL) which is not far behind (surprising... Ive had difficulty getting these to germinate at all in the past - maybe they just needed the heat...) and one of the home-saved Johaar.

All seed now popped and in 7cm pots with amended compost/perlite, apart from:

• Northern Light Auto (RQS) (this was a freebie - maybe old seed?)
  • 1/5 Purple Bud x Blueberry
  • 3/7 NLH (MSNL) (suspect this is old seed)
  • 3/5 Johaar#2 x Johaar#1 (fresh seed, and one of these is a super early emerger - guessing there is a lot of variability in this landrace, including in germination times)

Last edited:

aliceklar

Germination rates

Germination rates

• 1/2: Buddah (MSNL) - Fingers crossed its a girl...
  • 0/1: Northern Light Auto (Feminised, RQS) - ah well... it was a freebie.
  • 4/7: Purple Bud (White Label, feminised) x Blueberry (MSNL) - interesting to get such low germination rates with fresh homemade hybrid seed. Stretchy. Lets see what I get. Will do a bigger run next grow if I'm not able to make F2 seeds this time.
  • 5/5: Dance World (Fem, RQS) x Johaar#1 (RSC) - Stars!
  • 4/7: Johaar#2 x Johaar#1 (RSC) - low germ rate is interesting. varied in form and vigor. Wondering if any have delayed emergence/dry cycle. Planted another 7 seeds to make sure there are a range to choose from. Lots of seed in the J2 line to play with and there seems to be a lot of diversity to find. Looking for the happy high of J#2, but with a reduced flowering time (18 weeks).
  • 4/7: Nitro Lemon Haze (MSNL) - solid looking.
  • 4/5: Johaar#2 x Nitro Lemon Haze - Vigorous. Planted another 3 seeds to up the odds of getting females as well as males this time round. Want to progress this to the F2. Also interested to see how much variability there is in the F1 - NLH is probably an inbred line, but the Johaar is wild, so there may be some variance.

Last edited:

aliceklar

Johaar - weeks 2 and 3

Johaar - weeks 2 and 3

This grow has been all about the Johaar (RSC). It was a challenge to grow last time as its natural form is 3-4m tall - lots of training, restraint and patience needed to keep it small enough to fit in a crowded cupboard, but worth it for the lovely smoke. This time I'm growing 10 children from #2, my favorite from last grow (4 germinated from the 1st batch of 7 seed, 6 from the 2nd), and they are shooting up.

I love the freaky twisty spider thing they do with their emerging top leaves :D

Week 2
Week 3

Also growing out 6 Johaar x Nitro Lemon Haze, and 5 Dance World x Johaar. Interesting to see the differences and similarities as they grow side by side.

Last edited:

aliceklar

Dance World x Johaar

Dance World x Johaar

5 our of 5 germinated, some growing faster and stretchier, some very compact. Nice Johaar leaf crowns recognisable on some by the 3rd week. Overall very pleased with these so far. Hoping they will have the lush ginger/incense thing of DW, and interested to see what the effects are like. Will Bx with DW, potted a clone on today. Will also grow to F2.

Last edited:

Sunshineinabag

This grow has been all about the Johaar (RSC). It was a challenge to grow last time as its natural form is 3-4m tall - lots of training, restraint and patience needed to keep it small enough to fit in a crowded cupboard, but worth it for the lovely smoke. This time I'm growing 10 children from #2, my favorite from last grow (4 germinated from the 1st batch of 7 seed, 6 from the 2nd), and they are shooting up.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82446&pictureid=2077891&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

I love the freaky twisty spider thing they do with their emerging top leaves :D

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82446&pictureid=2075633&thumb=1]View ImageWeek 2[/URL]
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82446&pictureid=2077892&thumb=1]View ImageWeek 3[/URL]

Also growing out 6 Johaar x Nitro Lemon Haze, and 5 Dance World x Johaar. Interesting to see the differences and similarities as they grow side by side.

Could I pull one off indoors with a sf4000 and 15 ft ceilings?

aliceklar

Johaar indoors

Johaar indoors

Could I pull one off indoors with a sf4000 and 15 ft ceilings?

You totally could. Maybe not in its proudest 4m+ form, but you could. Might need to trellis / train it. I did a couple in a small cupboard under a sf1000, supercropped them, topped them, tied them to the walls, they were fine :biglaugh:

Sunshineinabag

I'm Interested in getting organized with my gardens...I've had my bell rung a couple times so I tend to be tangential at times.

aliceklar

Johaar & family

Johaar & family

Really rapid growth now, esp from the Johaar and Johaar crosses. I think having the 2nd sf1000 light on has sped things up. Most of the Johaar are showing a tall, leggy form, but a few (like J2 #5) have a more compact form. some of the stretchier ones (like J2 #1) are starting to show leaf necrosis - symptom of rapid growth in small pots. Have just been giving rainwater so far, but started with a little very dilute feed (tomato food/maxicrop) today. Will need to get these guys into bigger pots asap, and flip the lights before they get out of hand...

All the Johaar crosses (with J as either male or female parent) are pretty much solidly Johaar in appearance - which makes me think that the Johaar growth form - rapid, tall, long internodes, freaky growth of spidery top leaves - is strongly dominant. Definitely going to backcross the DWxJ to Danceworld (DW x (DWxJ)), and will grow that line out and see what segregates out.

Last edited:

aliceklar

Purple Bud x Blueberry

Purple Bud x Blueberry

The PBxBB are doing well, two taller, two squatter. Guessing the taller two are males, the shorter females, but lets find out.

One of the shorter plants has shown a weird mutation - totally missing one of its top branches. Will watch it for now and see what it produces if its female. I can forgive shonkiness if it makes good smoke! If its a male, I'll probably cull it. Still interested to see how much actual variation there is in this line at the F1. Am used to working with peas, tomatoes, chillies, which are all strong inbreeders, so the change from P1 to F1 to F2 is dramatic. As cannabis is an obligate outbreeder, things are going to be different. again, lets see what we find. I have about 50 seeds of the PBxBB F1, so can always pop more. I'll grow out another of the feminised Purple Bud seeds next time, alongside the remaining original BB seeds, and try the cross again, as well as backcrossing to the PB. Then I'll have two lines to play with.

aliceklar

Week one of flowering

Week one of flowering

Decided to keep veg quite short - just under a month from first seed emergence.

Here's the flower area as of last night:

picture.php

Thinking about the size and vigor of the Johaar & Johaar crosses, I'm going to cut down veg even more next time. These have been vegged at 18/6 for just over a month, and they are stretching rapidly with no sign of sexing yet. Next grow I'm considering starting seedlings on 14/10 (rather than 18/6), then after a couple of weeks dropping them to 13/11, then after a week of that down to 12/12, and 11/13 a week after. So they will start off on a light schedule more akin to their natural origins (latitude 29N), and go more incrementally into flower (rather than a sudden shift from 18/6). I'm hoping this will keep them shorter & induce earlier flowering.

Last edited:

aliceklar

First flowers

First flowers

Excited to see rapid development of flowers, with nice dense male flower clusters on some of the Johaar especially. I'm relieved to see the males - it means I can move some of them out to another room and make space for the exploding jungle in the flower area. Quite a few are bulging in the right places, but too small to be sure. Either way, they seem pleased to see me.

Johaar2 01 Johaar2 05

Johaar2 14

Impressed with the rapid growth of the second batch of Johaar - some of them (inc #14) are almost caught up with the first batch - although the flowers are not as developed. Will be a good study to compare these two batches, with one having about 10 extra days in veg.

Also stoked that the Buddah is female. I'd has poor germination from this strain, and this was the final seed - the only other that had germed from 10 seeds was male, but l kept a cutting in veg, so I can now a) find out how she smokes and b) make some seeds. Tempted to put her back into veg for a bit and take some cuttings.

Tiny flower, but definitely girl-parts showing there.

Last edited: