What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nevil's Memorial Grow

HAZENACIOUS

The C5 x Heirloom sativa line sounds awesome
That's my main line, before backcross. An amazing thing about this line is that it has only has one generation in the last 27 years.
picture.php

Happy Times

Nice :)

When I was a kid we used to get Durban Poison, best stuff we ever smoked at the time.

Believe it or not my original C5 cut was the densist bud I've ever seen, and that says a lot. She had a 108 day budding cycle. A lot of her descendants are dense like that as well, but there are plenty of fluffy ones
Too.

108 days seems pretty reasonable, especially for a very dense haze-dominant phenotype!

HAZENACIOUS

I wanted to discuss the 1st leg of this grow. Essentially this was a push to preserve long-term the genetics that I have from Nevil, genetics that descends from Nevil's Haze, and my 5hzC* genetics. Plus works that are crossed with these two, and in some cases with stuff that has haze in it from Nevils other work, ie (Jack Herrer etc). My closest strains to the original Cut from 89 seedbank Haze are my 50% 5hzC and my 75%5hzc backcross, the male for both being a outdoor California strain that was purportedly a sativa dominant Hawaiin Afghan hybrid with a very early budding cycle and a very heavy yielding giant.
My most important line that I am working with in this first Grow is my 50% 5hz or 5hzXCali.*
Nevil told me that back in the day, His 5hzC was the best most potent highest quality stone by far of anything he had come across. In his words it was hands above everything else, or as he told me:
"Basically Haze falls into 2 categories, you've got your hazes, and then there's everything else."
He said that the Hazes he offered, G13, NL1, etc were all hands above anything else, but that the NL5haze C were hands above that. When I asked him about NL5 haze A he said, "No comparison, Nl5haze C was much better in every way, if it had been close I would have offered both of them."
This is the only strain Nevil ever put a warning on, that warning was warranted, I've seen a lot of people smoke it and flip out. My 5hazeXCali, in this 1st leg is my focus, the seeds I am working with were made around 10 years ago from seeds that were around 17 years old, so the pure strains I am dealing with are a bit like a time capsule as they have only had 1 generation in the last 27 years and as such are really close to the old school strains that they spring from. My goal for this leg is twofold:

1st, to get a bunch of f2s from my main line, and hybrids, and
2nd, to build a catalog of tested haze hybrid clones to cross with my less abundant old seedstock and more sativa leaning types I will be growing out in the second leg.

*Formerly I was Referring to this as C5, Yo Sammy pointed out that Nevil only used this term for his own selection, and even though I have heard Nevil refer to my line as C5 line, upon thinking about it he always referred to my haze as"5 haze" .
Also I don't want anyone to mistake my 5hazeC cut for being linked with Sammy's C5 cuts, which are purportedly some of Nevils best selections from the same line as my Seedstock. From now henceforth I will be referring to my genetics which
come from the same line as Nevils C5 selections, as 5hz, or 5hzC. These are both abbreviations of Northern lights No.5 X Haze C male as it is called by it's full name.

picture.php

Last edited:

Happy Times

My closest strains to the original Cut from 89 seedbank Haze are my 50% 5hzC and my 75%5hzc backcross, the male for both being a outdoor California strain that was purportedly a sativa dominant Hawaiin Afghan hybrid with a very early budding cycle and a very heavy yielding giant.
My most important line that I am working with in this first Grow is my 50% 5hz or 5hzXCali.*

Cool, I was wondering what was lineage in that heirloom Cali sativa male

Afghan/Hawaiian- any relation to Soma’s lines?

HAZENACIOUS

Cool, I was wondering what was lineage in that heirloom Cali sativa male

Afghan/Hawaiian- any relation to Soma’s lines?
Hi Happy,
No relation. It's from 93 or 94, came from a friends reletive, professional outdoor, but it was a giant plant, even topped once it was up to 15 feet tall, and ready in northern CA in early September, one of the fattest buds I've ever seen, it had some seeds in it. Narrow leaf pheno by bud structure and bud leaf morphology, sweet pheno huge round fluffy bud very gooey, heavy, low leaf to bud ratio, the kind of gooey old school California bud that used to smear, it stank through bags and car trunks. The car ride home we were paranoid the smell was so strong. My buddy said his car stunk for days, from a 4 hour ride. But it was a sweet Hawaii style bud, the high was totally up mellow, some of the nicest bud I ever smoked. All we got was a male when we grew out the seeds which mostly didn't pop, the male was a monster, and we crossed it with my 5hz.

Having done a lot of haze crosses, there was something very special about the way this outdoor bud crossed with my haze, the plants very much resembled my haze, compared to other crosses with an even increased vigor. I backcrossed one of these hybrids into the 5haze cut, and that's 3/4 5hz source.

I popped a ton of those 5hzXCali seeds from 93, in 2011 and only got four volunteers. Crossed those together. That's where the primary stock from this 1st leg of grow comes from.

5hz hybrids:
picture.php

J.B.Kushfeller

I wanted to discuss the 1st leg of this grow. Essentially this was a push to preserve long-term the genetics that I have from Nevil, genetics that descends from Nevil's Haze, and my 5hzC* genetics. Plus works that are crossed with these two, and in some cases with stuff that has haze in it from Nevils other work, ie (Jack Herrer etc). My closest strains to the original Cut from 89 seedbank Haze are my 50% 5hzC and my 75%5hzc backcross, the male for both being a outdoor California strain that was purportedly a sativa dominant Hawaiin Afghan hybrid with a very early budding cycle and a very heavy yielding giant.
Nevil told me that back in the day, His 5hzC was the best most potent highest quality stone by far of anything he had come across. In his words it was hands above everything else, or as he told me:
"Basically Haze falls into 2 categories, you've got your hazes, and then there's everything else."
He said that the Hazes he offered, G13, NL1, etc were all hands above anything else, but that the NL5haze C were hands above that. When I asked him about NL5 haze A he said, "No comparison, Nl5haze C was much better in every way, if it had been close I would have offered both of them."
This is the only strain Nevil ever put a warning on, that warning was warranted, I've seen a lot of people smoke it and flip out. My 5hazeXCali, in this 1st leg is my focus, the seeds I am working with were made around 10 years ago from seeds that were around 17 years old, so the pure strains I am dealing with are a bit like a time capsule as they have only had 1 generation in the last 27 years and as such are really close to the old school strains that they spring from. My goal for this leg is twofold:

1st, to get a bunch of f2s from my main line, and hybrids, and
2nd, to build a catalog of tested haze hybrid clones to cross with my less abundant old seedstock and more sativa leaning types I will be growing out in the second leg.

*Formerly I was Referring to this as C5, Yo Sammy pointed out that Nevil only used this term for his own selection, and even though I have heard Nevil refer to my line as C5 line, upon thinking about it he always referred to my haze as"5 haze" .
Also I don't want anyone to mistake my 5hazeC cut for being linked with Sammy's C5 cuts, which are purportedly some of Nevils best selections from the same line as my Seedstock. From now henceforth I will be referring to my genetics which
come from the same line as Nevils C5 selections, as 5hz, or 5hzC. These are both abbreviations of Northern lights No.5 X Haze C male as it is called by it's full name.

View Image

At least HzA still lives through the NH. But I do regret loosing it prematurely.
Worse was loosing the First Haze female. She was similar in type to HzA, but I suspect a generation earlier. In my mind, it was the Haze archetype. I should have put HzA to that plant. There wasn't anything sweet about FH (First Haze), like the progeny from HzA, she was spicy leathery and people would often recoil if they came into a room where you had been smoking it.
The Haze C was sweeter and generally a better breeding plant because of this, otherwise C and A were equal in quality. HzA hybrids could yield more. In the NH, HzC accounts for 50% of the genetics, yet the predominant good pheno is the HzA type.
Nevile quote

In the NH, HzC accounts for 50% of the genetics, yet the predominant good pheno is the HzA type.
Nevile quote

Nevile called haze 5 never haze C, and obviously he spoke differently depending on who he was talking to.

Latest posts

Latest posts