What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leaf tips freaking out?

Dis

Any ideas?

picture.php

T

Teddybrae

Old nutes? over fed (too much N). beginning drainage issues. ph issues. cheers ...

Dis

Old nutes? over fed (too much N). beginning drainage issues. ph issues. cheers ...

Organic soil, so no old nutes to speak of, same soil as 2 others which arent showing distress. Its getting more 5000k light, and less circulation than the others. So maybe drainage or heat? I'll water to run off and ph the run off next watering. Im going to just let it ride a day and see if its changes, its been 3 days since last watering. Thank you for the input.

troutman

Seed Whore
If the humidity is too low the leaves will Taco in the heat. :tiphat:

Notice it's worse closer to the light or heat.

Dis

Looked the same last night, woke up and it looked worse. Im wondering if its combination heat and pm, and maybe something else? The other plants that are treated the same dont have any of these signs, only difference between this and the other 3 is more light, less air flow, more heat (dumb, I know, I didnt realize it would be enough to make a difference). I dont see any bugs upon naked eye inspection which doesnt rule them out. Any new ideas? I quarantined this one under a different light in a different room on with fans and a window a/c in the mean time.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
What are your RH and temps doing?

do you have a meter?

extra air flow makes things worse if the RH is really low. She looks almost blue? but that could be the blurple effect.

Do the leaves have a crispy rough feel? because the ridges on the leaves look like they are like that. I'd guess a combination of too hot a mix for that plants taste along with high VPD heat stress caused nutrient deficiency/toxicity and under watering as well, stressed roots.

Dis

What are your RH and temps doing?

do you have a meter?

extra air flow makes things worse if the RH is really low. She looks almost blue? but that could be the blurple effect.

Do the leaves have a crispy rough feel? because the ridges on the leaves look like they are like that. I'd guess a combination of too hot a mix for that plants taste along with high VPD heat stress caused nutrient deficiency/toxicity and under watering as well, stressed roots.

Its noon in CA, so its 86f and 54% RH at the canopy.

I think its just the blurple as I have seen it under 5000k and it looks a good shade of green.

As far as the ridges on the leaves being dry or rough, they are only dry and rough where you can visibly see. The other parts of soft leaf.

I don't know what it was at before as far as the RH, as its in a different location now and I didnt check the RH of the other area. Its currently 15" under a viparspectra 600w, with a window AC unit in the room I have set to 79, which I may set lower.

It was last sprayed with a neem / dr bronners solution with a few drops of clove and rosemary oil, once on Wednesday at lights out. It was also sprayed with Agsil / Aloe / Kelp on Monday at lights out. The second spraying was in response to some critters, first was IPM.

Dankwolf

Too much nitrogen ...

Cause(s)

1 too much nitrogen
2 soil ph off
3 main citation in correct
4 water source has too low ph
5 lack of microbile activity

Remedy

1 flush soil with ph balenced water (6.8 -7)
2 mix and or buy better soil
3 alow water source to sit in tub/ bucket with good bactira and get closer to neutral
4 add good microbs to bring ph in range
5 buy /mix soil with less nitrogen

Just my opinion.. :tiphat:

Cvh

Supermod
:yeahthats Too much N. On the first pic you can clearly see the leaftips pointing down.

T

Teddybrae

I am wondering if yr soil mix is constant ... I mean the same in all pots. if you purchased this soil it may not be. maybe pH the soil itself not the run off.

Dis

Assuming its the nitrogen in the soil (organic grow) is there a way to reduce the N levels at this point?

Dis

Too much nitrogen ...

Cause(s)

1 too much nitrogen
2 soil ph off
3 main citation in correct
4 water source has too low ph
5 lack of microbile activity

Remedy

1 flush soil with ph balenced water (6.8 -7)
2 mix and or buy better soil
3 alow water source to sit in tub/ bucket with good bactira and get closer to neutral
4 add good microbs to bring ph in range
5 buy /mix soil with less nitrogen

Just my opinion.. :tiphat:

Went back and noticed the Remedy section. My water ph is 7.2, my soil in that pot is Recipe420 with additional dry ferts and minerals added, loosely based on a CC mix and the ferts are halved, minerals full amount. They got an ACT last weekend, and I can get one going tonight, 1 T kelp, alfalfa, unsul mol, fishhydro/seaweed, 1c local indoor african nightcrawler castings. I will have to get a soil ph kit, just have the liquid tester. Did I miss anything? Thanks for the thorough response.

Dankwolf

Went back and noticed the Remedy section. My water ph is 7.2, my soil in that pot is Recipe420 with additional dry ferts and minerals added, loosely based on a CC mix and the ferts are halved, minerals full amount. They got an ACT last weekend, and I can get one going tonight, 1 T kelp, alfalfa, unsul mol, fishhydro/seaweed, 1c local indoor african nightcrawler castings. I will have to get a soil ph kit, just have the liquid tester. Did I miss anything? Thanks for the thorough response.

If i were in your position i would flush potter(s) with water at about 3 times the volume of potters. Next i would ride the sutuation out till you can transplant to a soil mix contaning less nitrogen.

What do you mean by minarels ? Kind of important if you want help .

Your water sorce should be fine at 7.2 . Long as soil ph is 6.2-6.8 perferably

Dankwolf

Also i highly recommend not using perlite as a top dress on potters . Leaf boing insects will thrive in such a situation .

Dis

If i were in your position i would flush potter(s) with water at about 3 times the volume of potters. Next i would ride the sutuation out till you can transplant to a soil mix contaning less nitrogen.

What do you mean by minarels ? Kind of important if you want help .

Your water sorce should be fine at 7.2 . Long as soil ph is 6.2-6.8 perferably

Minerals as per CCs mix. Basalt, glacial rock dust, gypsum, oyster shell flour. Flushed this morning, guess we will see if it helps. Thx guys.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Run off is very inaccurate.

Judging from the new growth on your second picture you've done something drastic.

Google slurry soil pH test. It works with liquid meters and is the standard for soil pH measurement.

Try to get the soil sample from at least 1/3 down the pot.

3snowboards

Dont judge health by what you are seeing while the plant is under a purple light.
Its misconsieving in that intense mixed spectrum.
Get a home led bulb with a 5000k color.
Or sunlight

Dis

The plant has been under 5000k 4x + 1 Taotronics. I just moved it to that light until I figured out what I was doing with it.

Mikel are you referring to the f.i.m.? Or are you talking about the state of lower new growth?

Latest posts

Latest posts