What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

It is called decorum

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moose eater

Ever think about bottling the water and selling it ?

If you have a high quality resource like clean natural water ... Christ I'd rather have you selling water than Nestle or Monsanto or Perrier.

Question is, how would you work the Moose motif into the product name ?

The World and the Earth need more Moose Eater like CEO's.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Phatty.:tiphat:

By Alaska State Constitution, all resources on State land, and even under private land, per Article 8, Sections 1 & 2, belong collectively to the State, and therefore the People of the State.. to be developed "for the maximum benefit (of the People of Alaska)." ... Unless a deeded, titled tract preceding, I believe, 1974 or 1975; and that may need to have been former federal turf. Possibly to do with home-steading that ended here about that same time..

There's lots of above-ground fresh water to be had on those larger 'rocks,' though.

I recall some politico years back having a giant chunk of ice delivered by air from one of our glaciers to a cocktail party in D.C. or some place. Seriously. The excesses of those we entrust with our futures!! :)

But we've veered off topic to some degree, re. responsible government, private industry, etc. Or have we?

Gry

Franco was financed by wealthy American businessmen as a 'lab'.
As was Mussolini.
Hitler as well.
These men having learned what they did from their lab work, were ready to 'bring it home'.
They approached the most decorated solider in America and asked him to assist them in overturning
the president of the United States.
A coup.
Smedley turned them down.
These 'gentlemen' would of course had someone else in mind to approach as a backup.
Who.

Thought it would be basic history for those who appreciate Birch.

St. Phatty

Yes bush fires can be almost impossible to control. We deal with huge fires almost every year here in Australia. Our firefighters seem to have given up on dozing firebreaks because as you said they are almost ineffective. They seem to now backburn miles ahead in the path of the fire. No fuel, no fire. The last fire through our area made short work of jumping the 300ft wide river near our place. Fires that large seem to create their own wind. The roaring sound of an out of control bush fire is absolutely frightening. There have been stories of fire fronts keeping up with cars traveling at 60mph.

From reading the descriptions of the fire in Redding this year - I believe their description.

Temps in the shade were in the 100's - and it was sunny, so, maybe 120 F in the sun.

Just really hot. The fire-fighters described turbulence moving the fire in all 4 directions (or sometimes just 2 or 3), alternately.

The 'fire tornado' got the most attention.

It sounded like fires in hot weather create their own sideways wind (whatever it's called) that is REAL DIFFICULT because it helps the fire spread.

They finally did one huge firebreak burn-out towards the north end, where the Shasta lakes are. It was 10 to 15 miles long, 100 yards to 1/2 mile wide.

It looks to sort of be doing the job, stopping Northward movement of the fire towards Mt. Shasta.

BUT there's another big fire 10 miles northeast that is growing west towards the Redding fire, called the Hirz fire, so I don't know if they're going to get relief on the Redding fire.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
From reading the descriptions of the fire in Redding this year - I believe their description.

Temps in the shade were in the 100's - and it was sunny, so, maybe 120 F in the sun.

Just really hot. The fire-fighters described turbulence moving the fire in all 4 directions (or sometimes just 2 or 3), alternately.

The 'fire tornado' got the most attention.

It sounded like fires in hot weather create their own sideways wind (whatever it's called) that is REAL DIFFICULT because it helps the fire spread.

They finally did one huge firebreak burn-out towards the north end, where the Shasta lakes are. It was 10 to 15 miles long, 100 yards to 1/2 mile wide.

It looks to sort of be doing the job, stopping Northward movement of the fire towards Mt. Shasta.

BUT there's another big fire 10 miles northeast that is growing west towards the Redding fire, called the Hirz fire, so I don't know if they're going to get relief on the Redding fire.

The temps were pretty normal for Redding at around 108-110.

The fire tornado reportedly had 160mph winds and was 2,700 degrees. The firefighter that was killed by it was driving a pickup that was picked up and dropped over 100' from the road, and I heard a couple of reports that he had been pulled out through an open side window when it hit.

The back burn that you are referring to was 50,000 acres.

One of the more vivid pictures of the fire tornado's work -

picture.php

In oklahoma we have seen our share of tornados for sure. Heck, most of us stand outside and watch unless the weatherman says "Get Underground!" When they say that they mean it.

FireNato --- ill pass.

F5

F5

Here are some shots of what we know to actually fear:

Attachments

• 9317-7d2f0f48-da19-45e2-8185-6e9362ca46f0.jpg
    9317-7d2f0f48-da19-45e2-8185-6e9362ca46f0.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 24
  • f5-tornado.jpg
    f5-tornado.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 21
  • a698a9b93d20085452f63401f061670b--natural-man-tornado-watch.jpg
    a698a9b93d20085452f63401f061670b--natural-man-tornado-watch.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20160920 143528
    20160920 143528
    59.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Aftermath

Aftermath

Heres whats left after a 2.5 mile wide F5 tornado goes through a neighborhood. Most everyone here has a storm shelter or makes friends with someone who does!

We've had good weather these last few years...clocks ticking...

Attachments

• oklahoma-tornado-reedjpg-649589ee5485ec75.jpg
    oklahoma-tornado-reedjpg-649589ee5485ec75.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 21
  • FEMA_Aerial_view_of_May_20,_2013_Moore,_Oklahoma_tornado_damage.jpg
    FEMA_Aerial_view_of_May_20,_2013_Moore,_Oklahoma_tornado_damage.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 26
  • moore-1999-f5-tornado-damage-3.jpg
    moore-1999-f5-tornado-damage-3.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 26
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 19
So here is some good news guys,

Oklahoma City chief of police proposes a change of city ordanace: currently unlicensed possesion of MJ is punishable by 6mo in jail and 1200 fine. Chief of police proposes 400 fine and no jail for those in possesion without a medical license.

Stated reason for his proposal is to reduce the population of our jails. Who would have ever thought it!

I hope this one passes. I actually clapped while watching the news. This is a big step forward for Oklahoma.

Unlike hurricanes, tornado damage is localized. Add to that we have some of the most advanced weather radar in the world here. NOAA headquarters in in Oklahoma. And our meteorologists are world class. The weatherman can tell where the threat is block by block as the storm moves. Therefore we have really good advanced warning systems.

When the big tornados come through, you have to be underground to survive. But since the damage is localized, we always have first responders relatively close to the impacted area who are not impacted themselves. Most tornados are much smaller and go through sparsely populated farm land.

When homes are damaged, we clean up and we rebuild... Insurance costs run above average, but overall cost of living remains low. And there are good people here. Lots to love about Oklahoma not to mention a bit of excitement in the springtime during tornado season!

Sky turns green.

Sky turns green.

So get this, when the weather gets really scarry, the sky actually turns green.

I have only seen this in person one time (when i was 23) i was stoned and this really tripped me out!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Attachments

• green-sky.jpg
    green-sky.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 21
  • green-sky-mo-26apr16-nathan-pflantz.jpg
    green-sky-mo-26apr16-nathan-pflantz.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 24
  • b2ap3_thumbnail_green-sky-tornado.jpg
    b2ap3_thumbnail_green-sky-tornado.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 20

Gry

Was that an area where underground homes with sod roofs were used by the settlers ?

Thats a good question as to why the sky turns green? I dont know, its an unusual phenomenon and we have plenty of bad weather when that doesnt happen. When it does though, its a bad omen for sure!

After 40 years living in oklahoma i have never seen a tornado with my own eyes. While they are common occourances, most people only see them on TV.

I take the threat of tornados over hurricanes and flooding any day. The odds of catastrophic damage from weather in Oklahoma is much lower than in areas prone to hurricanes.

Sitting on the back porch when a proper Thunderstorm roles through is pretty amazing. (Even better stoned BTW) The power of the weather is awe inspiring to say the least. The electrical desplay of lightning and the resulting rolling thunder. I get a similar feeling when im in the presence of the ocean or a large waterfall.

Similarly i am awe struck by the tranquility of a mountain lake that is smooth as glass. This great earth if full of amazing power and wonder. I beleve God gave us these things so that we can witness his power and peace through the evidence of his creation... or im wrong and this all just happend by accident...

I was refering to the whole of humanity when i say "we". Im pretty colorblind when it come to race. A debate can certainly be had as to inequeties of westward expansion as could be had about the inequeties of various other social injustices that have been transgressed over the centuries. But seeing as I was not the one who commided such transgressions i feel in no way responsible and therefore I shall not be the one to appologize.

Learn from the past, live in the present, teach your children to improve the future.

Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran
Curiosities: Why does the sky turn green before a tornado? June 6, 2008

Scott Bachmeier, a research meteorologist at the Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies at UW–Madison, says that particles in the air scatter light. In the day, the particles scatter more violet and blue light, but our eyes are more sensitive to blue light — that’s why the sky appears blue.
Thunderstorms, which can be the home of tornadoes, usually happen later in the day, when the sun is approaching the horizon. That creates a reddish tinge in the sky, as any fan of sunsets knows. But light under a 12-mile high thundercloud is primarily blue, due to scattering by water droplets within the cloud. When blue objects are illuminated with red light, Bachmeier says, they appear green.
Green is significant, but not proof that a tornado is on the way. A green cloud “will only occur if the cloud is very deep, which generally only occurs in thunderstorm clouds,” Bachmeier says. “Those are the kind of storms that may produce hail and tornadoes.” Green does indicate that the cloud is extremely tall, and since thunderclouds are the tallest clouds, green is a warning sign that large hail or a tornado may be present.

Gry

I was refering to the whole of humanity when i say "we". Im pretty colorblind when it come to race. A debate can certainly be had as to inequeties of westward expansion as could be had about the inequeties of various other social injustices that have been transgressed over the centuries. But seeing as I was not the one who commided such transgressions i feel in no way responsible and therefore I shall not be the one to appologize.

Learn from the past, live in the present, teach your children to improve the future.
I can't help but notice that your closing thought is an interesting formula which assures the status quo will never change.
Rather than embracing change, it foists the idea of change, or more properly, the potential of it, upon one's children. It is a commonly expressed mindset, and one I used to embrace myself with out question.
It was not some thing I ever gave much thought to, upon reflection, it would be difficult to imagine someone growing up in this culture with out absorbing it.
Thanks for your contribution, have spent enjoyable hours today reading of Baum.

Status
Not open for further replies.