What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Farmerlion's Greenhouse learning experiments.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Hello all, here is another year of growing. I'm scheduling some studies so I can learn a little along the way. I hope you find it interesting and beneficial as well.

Genetics are provided by four breeders.(Ace, CBG, Original Delicatessen, Cannabeizein)
Ace, Original Delicatessen, Dinafem and CBG we all know, Cannabeizein is a small collective in Oregon. They are a very passionate and kind group of people trying to help new growers learn and providing genetics that work very well in northern latitudes. I chose two of their strains out of the many they sent me to try.
Ace Seeds genetics Green PCK x Panama Goddess, Purple PCK x Panama Goddess, Erdpurt, Lebanese x Erdpurt, Lebanese ,
(Purple Malawi x PCK) x Purple Nepjam, Bangi Haze f29 reversed x Purple Nepjam f6, Purple Nepjam f6 reversed x Bangi Haze f29, Auto Malawi x Northern Lights f3, Auto Malawi x Northern Lights f4,
Early Bubba Hash.

Original Delicatessen EDY 1 ea

CBG Peyote Purple 1 ea

Cannabeizein Goat Yogi and NYCD x Second Sight 1ea

Dinafem Blue Cheese 1 ea

I will be using fourteen 35 gallon grow bags single planted and five 45 gallon grow bags double planted.

Soil amendment tests for 2018. I will be using Leonardite Products this season. Humic Source+ (liquid concentrate) Humic Source fines. (dry powdered 35lb. bags). While several products have Humic and Folvic Acids in them, they are at a much lower level than pure Leonardite. I've also switched from Alaskan Brands fish emulsion to Neptune's fish emulsion with kelp. From studies I've read the Leonardite works better with a kelp amendment.

Other observances this season will include a side by side grow of same but opposite parental doners from Ace seeds.

#1 Bangi Haze f29 reversed x Purple Nepjam f6.
#2 Purple Nepjam f6 reversed x Bangi Haze f29.
My interest is to see the variances in the f1 generation seeds grown out. Both seed lines are feminized and of stabilized breeding parents. I will be taking very detailed notes of growth patterns. If any of you have an interest or a question in this project please feel free to ask.

I'm also looking at doing a seed run this season. I haven't had any experience with this yet in my greenhouse. My hopes are that it will be fine for any crosses I would do in the future. Only one way to find out? I have four Lebanese plants that are regular seeds. I'm hoping for 1 to 3 of them being males. The seeds gifted me from Cannabeizein are also regular seeds. If any of them are male, they will be culled.
Well that's about it for this season. I hope some of you will find what I'm doing interesting and come along for the ride.
Peace :tiphat:

orfeas

Veteran
morning mate! already booked a seat! you're in for some serious "trouble" again... :biggrin:

:tiphat:orfeas

48N

your grow last year was a joy to watch
so you know im looking forward to this years thread
good luck

Koondense

Veteran
Well well... look who's gonna have the nicest greenhouse this season :)
Best of luck with everything, we'll be watching and drooling like crazy :D

Cheers farmerlion

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Koondense, your words place great expectations on me. I'll take your kindness as an invite that you are coming to oversee this grow? While I have confidence in my preliminary studies of Leonardite. There isn't an exact this works this doesn't format. I will be knee deep in the gray area. This learning process could be brutal if my soil ratios are off from the start. I hope for the sake of this growing community at Ace and ICMAG. That a very inexpensive soil amendment could have great benefits for all home growers.
Peace brother

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Some background on Leonardite

Some background on Leonardite

Here is some information I found while doing some internet study about Leonardite. There is several more articles but this one seemed pretty thorough.

What are humic acids and their sources?
Humic matter is formed through the chemical and biological humification of plant and animal matter and through the biological activities of micro-organisms. The biological center, the main fraction of natural humic matter, are the humic acids, which contain humic acid and fulvic acid. Humic acids are an excellent natural and organic way to provide plants and soil with a concentrated dose of essential nutrients, vitamins and trace elements. They are complex molecules that exist naturally in soils, peats, oceans and fresh waters. The best source of humic acids are the sedimentation layers of soft brown coal, which are referred to as Leonardite. Humic acids are found in high concentration here. Leonardite is organic matter, which has not reached the state of coal and differs from soft brown coal by its high oxidation degree, a result of the process of coal formation (bog>peat>coal), and high humic acids content as well as higher carboxyl groups.

Compared to other organic products, Leonardite is very rich in humic acids. While Leonardite is the end product of a humification process lasting 70 million years, the formation period of peat, for instance, is completed within only a few thousand years. The difference between Leonardite and other sources of humic acids lies in its property that Leonardite is extremely bioactive through its molecular structure. This biological activity is about five times stronger than other humic matter as one kilogram Leonardite corresponds to about 5 kilogram of other organic sources of humic acids. In terms of humic acids content, one liter of Liqhumus (liquid concentrate) is equivalent to 7-8 metric tons of organic manure. Similarly, one kilogram of Powhumus (concentrated powder) is equivalent to about 30 metric tons of manure.

Natural Sources Content of Humic and Fulvic Acids in % (from - to)

Leonardite/Humate 40 - 85

Black Peat 10 - 40

Sapropel Peat 10 - 20

Brown Coal 10 - 30

Dung 5 - 15

Compost 2 - 5

Soil 1 - 5

Sludge 1 - 5

Hard Coal 0 - 1

Leonardite is not a fertilizer. It acts as conditioner for the soil and as bio-catalyst and bio-stimulant for the plant. Compared to other organic products, Leonardite enhances plant growth particularly (biomass production) and fertility of the soil. Another advantage of Leonardite is its long-term effectiveness, as it does not consume up so quickly as animal manure, compost or peat. As Leonardite is completely decomposed, it does not enter into nutritional competition with plants for nutrients such as for nitrogen. This is not the case with incompletely decomposed compost, whereby the organic substances in soil are rapidly consumed up by micro-organisms and mineralized entirely without humus formation.
Benefits of Humic Acids?

Current scientific studies show that the fertility of soil is determined to a very large extent by the content of humic acids. Their high cation-exchange capacity (CEC), the oxygen content as well as the above average water holding capacity are the reasons for the high value of using humic acids for improving soil fertility and plant growth. The most important feature of humic acids lies in their ability to bind insoluble metal ions, oxides and hydroxides, and to release them slowly and continually to plants when required. Due to these properties, humic acids are known to produce three types of effects: physical, chemical and biological.

Physical Benefits:

Humic acids physically modify the structure of the soil.
◾Improve the structure of soil: Prevent high water and nutrient losses in light, sandy soils. Simultaneously convert them into fruitful soils by way of decomposition. In heavy and compact soils, aeration of soil and water retention are improved; cultivation measures are facilitated.
◾Prevent soil cracking, surface water runoff and soil erosion by increasing the ability of colloids to combine.
◾Help the soil to loosen and crumble and thus increase aeration of soil as well as soil workability.
◾Increase water holding capacity of soil and thus help resist drought.
◾Darken the color of the soil and thus help absorption of the sun energy

Chemical Benefits:

Humic acids chemically change the fixation properties of the soil.
◾Neutralize both acid and alkaline soils; regulate the pH-value of soils.
◾Improve and optimize the uptake of nutrients and water by plants.
◾Increase buffering properties of soil.
◾Act as natural chelator for metal ions under alkaline conditions and promote their uptake by the roots.
◾Rich in both organic and mineral substances essential to plant growth.
◾Retain water soluble inorganic fertilizers in the root zones and reduce their leaching.
◾Possess extremely high cation-exchange capacities.
◾Promote the conversion of nutrient elements (N, P, K + Fe, Zn and other trace elements) into forms available to plants.
◾Enhance the uptake of nitrogen by plants.
◾Reduce the reaction of phosphorus with Ca, Fe, Mg and Al and liberate it into a form that is available and beneficial to plants. The productivity of particularly mineral fertilizers is increased considerably.
◾Liberate carbon dioxide from soil calcium carbonate and enable its use in photosynthesis.
◾Help to eliminate chlorosis due to iron deficiency in plants.
◾Reduce the availability of toxic substances in soils.

Biological Benefits:

Humic acids biologically stimulate the plant and the activities of micro-organisms.
◾Stimulate plant enzymes and increase their production.
◾Act as an organic catalyst in many biological processes.
◾Stimulate growth and proliferation of desirable micro-organisms in soil.
◾Enhance plant’s natural resistance against disease and pest.
◾Stimulate root growth, especially vertically and enable better uptake of nutrients.
◾Increase root respiration and root formation.
◾Promote the development of chlorophyll, sugars and amino acids in plants and aid in photosynthesis.
◾Increase vitamin and mineral content of plants.
◾Thicken the cell walls in fruits and prolong the storing and shelf time.
◾Increase germination and viability of seeds.
◾Stimulate plant growth (higher biomass production) by accelerating cell division, increasing the rate of development in root systems and increasing the yield of dry matter.
◾Increase the quality of yields; improve their physical appearance and nutritional value.

Ecological Benefits of Humic Acids:

The ecological benefits of humic acids are diverse and present profitable and effective solutions for environmental problems and the preservation of the environment.

First of all, soils with a high content of humic acids are a guarantee for low nitrate leaching and for optimum nutrient efficiency. A well-developed root system, which is achieved by a high content of humic acids, prevents that nitrate and pesticides mix in with ground water (Ill.15). Futhermore, a low content of nitrate is an indicator and a prerequisite for appropriate “organic industry”. It happens very often that growers use fertilizers more than plants can take up. This leads to nitrate concentration in soil, which is later to be found in ground water. A purification plant, which should sink contaminated water under a value of five milligrams NO3-N per liter in complicated flows, means very high material costs at the same time.

Important: Instead of curing the symptoms (water contamination) only, the root causes (nitrate leaching) should be fought against with.

Secondly, humic acids reduce the over-salination problem in the application of watersoluble mineral fertilizers. Humic acids are able to decrease high salt contents in soils and thus the resulting toxicities. Especially the NH4-toxicity of fertilizers containing ammonia is reduced, which is of great importance for young plants particularly. Generally, humic acids reduce root burning which comes about through excessive salt concentrations in soils after fertilization; in case of permanent high levels of salt in soils, these are reduced. Furthermore, when humic acids are mixed with liquid fertilizers, the undesirable smell is diminished.

Thirdly, humic acids are an effective means to fight against soil erosion. This is achieved both by increasing the ability of soil colloids to combine and by enhancing root system and plant development. Leonardite and humate-based products are certificated for organic industry by renown organizations and institutions of industry worldwide.

Economic Benefits of Humic Acids:

Humic acids chelate nutrient compunds, especially iron, in the soil to a form suitable for plant utilization. Thus, the nutrient supply of plants is optimized. High increases up to 70% in yield, accompanied by a reduction up to 30% in the use of fertilizers and pesticides, as well as better and healthier growth of greengrass, ornamentals, agricultural crops and woods can be attained with the regular application of first-quality humic acids. Furthermore, water holding capacity of soils is increased considerably, which means that the use of water can be reduced substantially.

Best economic results can be obtained in light and sandy soils poor in humus as well as on recultivation fields. The diverse positive impacts of humic acids are to be observed particularly in such soils. This is true for almost all soils in dry and warm regions. As a result of the high mineralization rate of organic substances, providing these soils with stable humic acids is indispensable for the maintenance and improvement of soil fertility.

Have a great day ! Peace :tiphat:

This stuff is very fine almost like pollen. I should've been wearing a facemask but couldn't find any of mine.

Morglie

I enjoyed your greenhouse build and grow last year. Count me in again this year. I'm interested in the Bangi x Nepjam - Nepjam x Bangi comparison. I'm curious about this as well.

TexasTea

Curious Cannivore
Veteran
Was fun watching your show last year. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference between the the two pck x Panamas. I just took down a purple pck x Panama and it was quite an impressive plant.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Soil prperation

Soil prperation

Hello, Here is some pictures of what's going on today.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76620&pictureid=1840172&thumb=1
This is one of the soil bags that I'm breaking up and adding amendments to.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76620&pictureid=1840174&thumb=1
This is Part of the Leonardite being added in thin layers.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76620&pictureid=1840175&thumb=1
This bag has been partially filled and watered so the microbial life can start forming. The top three or so inches will be filled with chicken poop, worm castings and some fresh top soil. I will sprinkle another thin layer of Leonardite on top again and re water.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76620&pictureid=1840173&thumb=1
As you can see I have a lot of work in cleaning once I get all the bags filled and ready.
I will sweep, vacuum and spray bleach carefully around border walls and the floor. Then organize the bags where I want them according to size of bags. 45 gallon bags will go in the center aisle.
The 35 gallon grow bags will go on the outside walls. The anticipated plant height's will determine on which side the individual plants are placed. The sun is slightly south of me during the summer. Shorter plants will be placed on the south and west end. Taller plants will go on the north and east end.

I'm planning on having two Lebanese on both sides closest to the door. Providing I get a male, I can move him inside to the other grow room under two or four 600 watt HPS lights. I expect them to start flowering before any of the other ladies are ready for their first date.

I would move the Peyote Purple inside and the Early Bubba Hash plants. Oh, I also would place the Blue Cheese inside with the others. I feel these would make very interesting f1's for future grows. I have been running Peyote Purple's for several years and have never had a male. I will now and they will start flowering earlier. That is really the only knock on the Peyote Purple's. They aren't a long flowering plant but they don't start until after everything else has pistils and small buds forming already.

Going into the weekend we are expecting inclement weather, I need to get as much done when I have a little time. My old ass is breaking down quickly being bent over doing soil. So It's time for a hot bath and a cold beer! I wish you a great weekend and happy growing. Peace :tiphat:

G

All the best my friend!Would love to learn a few stuff! Are you gonna do a sacrifice this year,too? ;)

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
pictures didn't load properly.

pictures didn't load properly.

Well, I don't know what the hell I did since last season. If one of you computer savvy people can tell me what to change so pictures show up properly. I would appreciate it, I hate clicking on links to see stuff. I doubt any of you like it either. Peace

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Hey Syd, I kind of just did. I didn't burn any but I was able to give my last 90 ounces out to four patients. That was pretty enjoyable in itself. It's good to hear from you again my friend. Peace

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Texas Tea, thanks for stopping by. I just checked out your girls. I'm looking forward to growing them even more now. Very nice looking grow!
I use CFL and HPS lights, what are you using?

Thanks Syd for the help. I hadn't changed any settings that I know of. I'll give it a try on my next update.

I did start thread early again before actual grow. I like the whole process of growing, even the boring stuff. Peace

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Late addition to the grow this season. I will be adding two of DJ Sorts Blueberry to the mix. I have grown his True Blueberry in the past. To have a cross with the Lebanese, I can't pass up that chance.
Peace