What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

UVB VS NO UVB Side by Side

Bionic

Cautiously Optimistic
Veteran
What is a good distance from the canopy? Reflector or no? Thanks in advance!

Green_science

Thank you for the heads up @Pepe le skunk it was ignorant of me not to research bulb quality and performance, I guess because someone specialize in a particular product you just presume that said product should be of a high quality, ANYWAY, it seems you are correct and the Exo Terra range UVB output diminishes with distance dramatically, I did account for this and although perhaps suitable, it seems they are by far not the best option.

After some quick research it seems, "Arcadia D3+ T5" lamps are the best available, I am just about to order 2 of the 54w 46" models after I finish this post, again thank you for the heads up, ill send the Exo Terra's back, also you never gave you're conclusion on UVB supplementation.

What is a good distance from the canopy? Reflector or no? Thanks in advance!
As close as possible. 2-5 inches for maximum effect. 1 foot with UVB 10 is max for effectiveness and 1.5 feet for the arcadia D3+. Only because they are HO. MV lamps can be a little more. They have MV that are even higher output (Zoo Quality) and would work even better if you could get them.

I love threads like this that bring out the uber nerd in us all!
UVB Nerd? Eye protection on. lol

Thank you for the heads up @Pepe le skunk

After some quick research it seems, "Arcadia D3+ T5" lamps are the best available, I am just about to order 2 of the 54w 46" models

You will really like the Arcadia's. Good output but seriously turn them off if your in room for more than 10 min. Or wear sunglasses. The ability to move the fixtures or if you can get them within 2-5 inches or 6 to 12 inches is key. As close to the tops and sides and rotate plants for exposure. The video is a great guide to light intensity coverage close in for the higher levels. It's like being on top of a tall mountain. More UVB.
also you never gave you're conclusion on UVB supplementation.
I will say that it does something. Been fimiliar with UVB from way back in 96 when Zoo Med spoke about UVB for reptiles and Vitiman D. Also Vitalite research showed that their lights helped prevent Winter depression.
It is an important wavelenght of light and HPS has almost 0. Also it helps with a more balanced spectrum of light. Back in 06 and 07 their was beginning research into the benefits of UVB and the work I did with Sensi star and G13 X blueberry had positive results. It definatly plays a roll in flower especially weeks 3 and up. Anytime before doesn't have the desired effect unless your smoking veg leaves. The flower clusters and the point of light fueling resin glands is where it's roll is best served.

Just try it with the more intense lights with the higher % UVB. Your plants will coat themselves in suntan lotion called raised trich's full of resin. It is a natural defense for the plant. Your just helping it along.

This guy goes into a little more detail in this video. In case you've never seen it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfiI78uN3Ks

Yesca73

GS
thanks for starting this thread . I just received a CLW SolarStorm 4oow LEd w/ UVb
They are T 8 . I will be watching with interest . I have not used or heard of Uvb before so thanks for the info guys . I will be starting a grow soon and hoping for good results with light . CLW must have done some research into Uvb in order for them to incorporate it into their LEDs. Anyways good luck

Boffin

I've wondered about this for a long time. Great to see a well tought out experiment :) I'm very interested in the results. People often say outdoor seems to have a bit of a different cannabinoid/terpene profile compared to HPS lighting and I always wondered what role UVB might play in this.

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
Wow pepe. You sure know your stuff lol tell us more!

Green Science: I'm glad you're running an experiment like this for others to learn from, however, CFL's like the ones I see in your pic won't suffice for proper UVB supplementation. Nor will ZooMed products or anything in that video pepe posted. Gonna shoot ya a pm.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have Reptisun 5.0 and 10.0 27 watt cfls. I use a Solarmeter 6.2 which measures the uvb in our spectrum. 280 to 320 nm or whatever they are called.

The light is too intense at closer than 3 inches(700 or so uw) and falls off to non useful levels at more than around 10 inches from bulb.

You kinda need a meter which runs almost 200 clams. If you run the light I listed then just go by my advice if you want to save on a meter. 500 uw is the higher limit and 150 uw being the lower limit to get any effect.

I turn off the lights when working in the garden. At least wear uv blocking shades if you do not turn them off.

Wow pepe. You sure know your stuff lol tell us more!

Green Science: I'm glad you're running an experiment like this for others to learn from, however, CFL's like the ones I see in your pic won't suffice for proper UVB supplementation. Nor will ZooMed products or anything in that video pepe posted. Gonna shoot ya a pm.
Feel free to share your info. The meter Yesum uses is a good indicator of the power of UVB and his readings are correct.

I have Reptisun 5.0 and 10.0 27 watt cfls. I use a Solarmeter 6.2 which measures the uvb in our spectrum. 280 to 320 nm or whatever they are called.

The light is too intense at closer than 3 inches(700 or so uw) and falls off to non useful levels at more than around 10 inches from bulb.

You kinda need a meter which runs almost 200 clams. If you run the light I listed then just go by my advice if you want to save on a meter. 500 uw is the higher limit and 150 uw being the lower limit to get any effect.

I turn off the lights when working in the garden. At least wear uv blocking shades if you do not turn them off.
Nice one Yesum. Have seen a few different tests including readings at noon in the tropics using the same meters. When you consider the UVB the plants receive in the final weeks the extra % of uvb is helpful even if it is between the 150 and 500 readings. The exposed buds will produce additional resin the plant is capable of producing with the extra wavelength of light.

Coverage and exposure to the nm (nanometer)wavelength of light at a high enough intensity is what I would consider most important and is why I rotate them every few days. Similar to feeding the bacteria in a soil food web molasses. If you follow the thinking that UVB will act as a catalyst in the production of THC.

S

sallyforthDeleted member 75382

Interesting thread. I have in the past used UVB supplemental lighting and did not notice a difference. However by doing a proper side by side experiment like this with the good research being done we can find out how this turns out, good one.

Just to add that at high altitude cannabis is growing in a cooler climate. Last year I purposely flowered my crop in lower temperatures at 18C. They took longer to flower and the resin profile was excellent with a difference in potency to the same clones flowered at the usual temperature of about 24/25C ( these matured quicker by about 3 weeks ).

Maybe the temperature could be another variable to be considered.

Looking forward to seeing the results of this side by side experiment.

Green_science

UVB bulbs have arrived and been setup, I only took pics after setting 1 bulb up the other is placed in the same spot as the, except it's closer to us to keep things symmetrical, the photos are a little deceiving , the bulb does not even run half the lenght of the space, so half the plants are definitely not receiving any UVB supplementation

Latest posts

Latest posts