What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Brand Of Coco Coir Today

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
:laughing: Too funny, you beat me to it as I was going to post the same reply.
I wish they had some more bagged coco in this state so I could try cheaper stuff. Nobody carries anything in a bag except canna. Take it or leave it and it ain't cheap.:tiphat:

Gramse

You can pick up a 12 pack at any corner store. Tell'em marrdogg sent you they may throw in a bag of never fail coco. PEACE!

Haha!
You are prob right about the cheap ones, a massive rinse should do it for the most brands. But for a calm mind, atleast I don't want to take any risks.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
Haha!
You are prob right about the cheap ones, a massive rinse should do it for the most brands. But for a calm mind, atleast I don't want to take any risks.

Coco is processed in Third World countries, there's absolutely zero quality control no matter what the bag says.

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Coco is processed in Third World countries, there's absolutely zero quality control no matter what the bag says.

Bullshit:tiphat: Having tried many different brands of compressed coco blocks that have rocks, sand, twigs and leaves in them and then using canna coco blocks that have none of the above and are uniform with more and longer fibers I can see there is quality control going on with canna. :biggrin:

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran

not all of it is final processed in third world countries, most coco companies just order shipping containers filled up with compressed bricks and then expand/treat/bag/sell via their home facility.

that being said; I still stand by b'cuzz 1000%, not that it is leaps and bounds above the competition, but imho it's just slightly better...which really only means something once you get to a point where all other parameters are ideal.

the cost of the medium is a negligible amount, from the best to the worst you're looking at MAYBE $40 difference per light...at that price why not fork over the extra 40 bones and not have to worry if you treated shit right that should have been treated by the company that sells it.

companies that don't treat their products are obviously not concerned with providing the highest quality product, and one could also argue that they are also not concerned with the success of their customers, by leaving the customer to deal with how to properly flush/charge their inferior coir. I personally feel like it's good business to provide your customers with a high quality product that can make a solid contribution to their success, realizing that their success will typically result in repeat business and word of mouth recommendations.

just my 2cents anyways.

N

noyd666

haven't seen any raw coir down here for sale ,lol unless its out of a mattress.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
Even if it is finally processed somewhere else you're always liable to get a bad batch no matter what the medium type. The same applies for all material goods, underwear, etc. Inspector number 12 is not always giving a fuck about their job every day. Especially when they're getting paid to inspect / QA coco or dirt.

Last edited:

CoCoSativas

Hey if you guys are having problems with gnats in your coco (I usually never have problems but this run I got em I think from outside plants) anyway grab some mosquito dunks or gnatrol. If you add the dunks to coco when you are hydrating your gnats wont even start.
Just on the topic of third world coco, I know its not at fault this time it was the dill but you can at least stop the bugs that come in. Mosquito dunks are cheap and if you powder them holy shit a pack goes a long way.

Gnats suck in coco

t99

Veteran
Mosquito dunks work great, but I think you have to water with them daily to kill all the gnat larvae. I fill my water jugs up 24 hours ahead and let them soak.

I was digging in my botanicare coco my plant is in checking for lateral root development. I found a white larvae of some kind might be a fungus gnat. About the thickness of 4 hairs together and about 2mm long. A bit worried now. I'll check out that mosquito dunk, sounds good that its not made from toxic chemicals.

Unclecrash

I been using moskito bits for some time and they work well. I have not seen a flier in a month or so. But you have to keep at it. Probably been using it for a few months to get to where im at.I just sprinkle a few dozen bits per plant every week or so.

CoCoSativas

Honestly im glad for the dunks. Really helpful product I can already see my plants doing better and flying bitches decreasing.
Just thought id throw it out there. Can happen to any brand so I thought id add it to the discussion

Asslover

Veteran
Living in Florida Gnats are omnipresent so i use gnatrol for 7 days here/there and ill never get more than a few fliers. Gnats love the fact the fact that coco needs to stay constantly moist...