What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fulvic Acid causing Nitrogen toxicity

Roadblock

At lights on could see a nice improvement so we should be back on track , will be a hit on yield but we got it early hope its not too much.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Carraxe

Veteran
I don't think fulvic or humic acid cause N toxicity. Chemical compounds with N are usually soluble, so these acids don't increase N concentration. I never had problems in soil using it.

I did have problems when I used these acids in a hydroponic grow where GH Mineral Magic was used at the same time. The conclusion we made was that the problem was due to aluminum toxicity. This metal can be chelated by the humic/fulvic acids, making it soluble and available for root intake, and it really is phytotoxic.

Check for metals that can be chelated. Some of them are toxic when dissolved, but not in a insoluble manner.

Good luck

Roadblock

I don't think fulvic or humic acid cause N toxicity. Chemical compounds with N are usually soluble, so these acids don't increase N concentration. I never had problems in soil using it.

I did have problems when I used these acids in a hydroponic grow where GH Mineral Magic was used at the same time. The conclusion we made was that the problem was due to aluminum toxicity. This metal can be chelated by the humic/fulvic acids, making it soluble and available for root intake, and it really is phytotoxic.

Check for metals that can be chelated. Some of them are toxic when dissolved, but not in a insoluble manner.

Good luck

Interesting how would you check for metals, my source water is rainwater which I run through a UV sterilizer and triple filters before I add Nutrients and feed to the plants, we are probably one of the cleanest air countries in the world in Aus and I live way out in the sticks Im guessing to say the water is top quality nearly on par with RO.

Carraxe

Veteran
Interesting how would you check for metals, my source water is rainwater which I run through a UV sterilizer and triple filters before I add Nutrients and feed to the plants, we are probably one of the cleanest air countries in the world in Aus and I live way out in the sticks Im guessing to say the water is top quality nearly on par with RO.

If you know the problem is not the water, then check the media. The coco and additives you use. Nitrogen is not toxic for plants, but it can be problematic when it forms substances that change pH (ammonia and nitric acid, for example) or when its concentration is too high (affecting water conductivity). If you control these parameters, the problem is elsewhere.

I don't find any reason to use a sterilizer and filter for rain water. Be careful with that. ¿Do you use coco specific nutrients? If not, and you use RO or rain water, the use of extra Ca and Mg is mandatory.

Good luck

Roadblock

Just a recap they came out of the toxicity but the stress was enough for them to hermie and they seeded badly, the strain is Bubba Kush and Im finding the slightest stress will hermie them, so basically the entire grow is lost.

Got my old White Rhino strain back and will run with that as its bullet proof and does everything easy from cutting to finish, this Bubba kush has been a temprementle bitch hard to clone and reacts to everything .

Latest posts

Latest posts