What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Landrace Sativa from Ethiopia That Closely Resembles Lamb's Bread

Kidete

In 1955, hundreds of Jamaican Rastafari hopped on planes and eagerly relocated to the promised land in Ethiopia following Emperor Haile Selassie's invitation.

A couple of decades later, a highly potent sativa strain known as Shashamane emerges from Ethiopia but it bears a striking resemblance to Lamb's Bread strain that originated in Jamaica.

Here's the blog post that sparked this discussion. What do you think?

https://eastafricagenes.blog/2020/03/30/could-shashamane-sativa-be-the-rare-lambs-bread/

Rembetis

I would love to try some of the strains listed. Especially the Sheshamane since the old Jamaican is pretty much gone in Jamaica. Do any of those strains have an electric or trippy effect?

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
It's all fantasy ... It is more likely that Ethiopian seeds were brought to Jamaica in those years rather than the other way around .... remember that the herb was traditionally used by some tribes in Ethiopia (Ethiopia is a large country , with different ethnic groups)...
Shashamane is a piece of land that His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I has given to all African Americans who wanted to return to Africa, this offer was mainly answered by Rasta (but not only) Jamaicans ...
But cannabis was already being grown in Ethiopia ...
There are many stories and legends about cannabis, the Rastas and Ethiopia, which over the years have become great truths ... from the black grass to the era that grew on Solomon's tomb, to many other stories ... But they are just that , stories, to give a sense of strength and unity to a constantly evolving movement ...
To conclude, a reflection: Ethiopia is the promised land of the Rastas, could they bring seeds to the promised land? (considering that they would already find cannabis there, and definitely of quality)
Bless...

Rembetis

I agree Willy, there are many stories from every part of the world. No doubt with all the ancient trading it was passed all around so who knows what the origins of any of it is. Probably a lot of Indian in the East African strains. Regardless of origins, the stuff I got from the Rastas in Jamaica in the early 80's was special and there seems to be many of us trying to find any remnant of any of the old lines since many seem to have lost their fire along the way.

The way I see it, these strains offer a chance to get ahold of some fairly pure Sativa types in a day and age when hybrids have taken over. So many of the so called Landrace lines have been in Europe for decades. They are more heirloom types at this point. This part of the world might be the last chance at getting some old untainted lines. Maybe not, I dont know. I for one am not afraid of raw strains that have not yet been selected for western style growing. If we dont try we dont know. There might be gems in this stuff.

Now if only there was a reliable way to get ahold of this stuff we could get some answers

Last edited:

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Why is that more likely?

Firstly because many brothers went on pilgrimage to Ethiopia and then returned to Jamaica, and secondly because, as I said before, no one would bring ganjah seeds to the holy land, it is easier for people to have brought ganjah seeds from Ethiopia to Jamaica, to grow it in the Rasta communities and share it with the brothers ....

Ps:Much of the news that goes back to interviews full of prejudices and mistaken beliefs with Marley, Tosh and the very first reggae artists ...,
Remember that in those days being Rasta was a much more serious thing than now, smoking, talking, cooking, everything was taken much more seriously, being a Rasta was really a rebellious and revolutionary choice, you could get a bullet because of dreadlocks or Ethiopian tricolor ...

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Smoked it a few years ago.

picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
It's all fantasy ... It is more likely that Ethiopian seeds were brought to Jamaica in those years rather than the other way around .... remember that the herb was traditionally used by some tribes in Ethiopia (Ethiopia is a large country , with different ethnic groups)...
Shashamane is a piece of land that His Imperial Majesty Haile Selassie I has given to all African Americans who wanted to return to Africa, this offer was mainly answered by Rasta (but not only) Jamaicans ...
But cannabis was already being grown in Ethiopia ...
There are many stories and legends about cannabis, the Rastas and Ethiopia, which over the years have become great truths ... from the black grass to the era that grew on Solomon's tomb, to many other stories ... But they are just that , stories, to give a sense of strength and unity to a constantly evolving movement ...
To conclude, a reflection: Ethiopia is the promised land of the Rastas, could they bring seeds to the promised land? (considering that they would already find cannabis there, and definitely of quality)
Bless...
I agree much more likely but in the end it doesn't matter its just a name. If the smoke is good and gets you where you want to go its the best forget the rest.
I never knew where the best stuff I scored in Africa came from and didn't care as long as I knew where to get it when I wanted more.
Kidete thanks for posting your story get your posts up to 50 so we can see some pics of the buds and any other buds you rate highly.
Authentic African grown and cured buds are a rare commodity on this forum I for one would love to see the local buds especially the Ethiopian you talk about.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I agree much more likely but in the end it doesn't matter its just a name. If the smoke is good and gets you where you want to go its the best forget the rest.
I never knew where the best stuff I scored in Africa came from and didn't care as long as I knew where to get it when I wanted more.
Kidete thanks for posting your story get your posts up to 50 so we can see some pics of the buds and any other buds you rate highly.
Authentic African grown and cured buds are a rare commodity on this forum I for one would love to see the local buds especially the Ethiopian you talk about.

Of course, I absolutely didn't want to be disrespectful, and I'm also curious to see and learn more about that herb, African varieties deserve to be better known, appreciated and safeguarded ...
:)

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
What Bob Marley said in High Times once about Lambsbread.

High Times: What's lamb's bread?

Bob Marley: De ability what de herb 'ave ya call lamb's bread. Some a dem ya call Bethlehem's bread. Dat is when ya really get good herb, y'know what I mean?

I just ordered some Ethiopian from Eastafricagenes, so far its been the best buyers experience I've ever experienced, EVER! Cant wait for them to get here! Holy smokes this man puts all other seedbanks to shame!

Rgd

Veteran
In 1955, hundreds of Jamaican Rastafari hopped on planes and eagerly relocated to the promised land in Ethiopia following Emperor Haile Selassie's invitation.

A couple of decades later, a highly potent sativa strain known as Shashamane emerges from Ethiopia but it bears a striking resemblance to Lamb's Bread strain that originated in Jamaica.

Here's the blog post that sparked this discussion. What do you think?

https://eastafricagenes.blog/2020/03/30/could-shashamane-sativa-be-the-rare-lambs-bread/

thanks for the thread ..I heard they weren’t really invited..and disappeared/ never returned..

[this was a story decades ago]

only other thing is I hope the brick weed photo there isn’t supposed to be lambsbread