What's new

Powerful vs Pretty: 1970s vs 2020s

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
This is what 40 years of prohibition, growing indoors for pretty fat nugs has wrought.

picture.php

What tropical, outdoors, imported weed looked like the year before Skunk #1 came out. They look terrible by today's standards, however this is what they smoked like:

DJ Short:

"Colombian Gold

"It was some of the most unique tasting herb in the world, and the high was just as exciting. It was truly psychedelic, powerful and long lasting.

"First came the great flavor, then the stupefying awe of the shift in consciousness followed by a giddy excitement and bursts of joyous laughter. Smile-lock and red-eye made it painfully obvious who was under the influence of this great psychedelic herb.

"Guerrero

"It had a spicy, almost wintergreen fragrance compared to the other Mexicans with a very clear head high and a most pleasant smoke. It was not as strong as most, but this herb still had a way of satisfying all its own.

"Hawaiian

Good Hawaiian herb has always been a devastatingly powerful experience for me. It is very psychedelic and internally focused, contemplative and overpoweringly meditative.

"Highland Oaxaca

With a long lasting, creeper high that kept coming on in waves over the hours, this stuff had no ceiling. One phenomenon consistently reported from the Highland Oaxaca experience was that of peripheral visual distortions of primarily cartoon color images. This tended to increase the visual distortions caused by other psychedelics such as mushrooms or LSD.

"Highland Thai

This stuff was purely cerebral, yet mentally devastating in quantity, with absolutely no ceiling. Once, a seasoned smoker friend and I tested how far we could go with the homegrown Juicy Fruit. I recall making it to the 14th bong hit and being completely incapable of continuing. My coordination and depth perception were so skewed that I was unable to physically conquer the bong! The experience rivaled that of taking too much LSD, causing an incapacitation of the psychedelic kind. Yet, it was also uniquely enjoyable, entertaining and educational at the same time. I had sparkly eyes for a day or two afterward."

https://www.cannabisculture.com/content/2005/06/28/4280/

I have to say, the very best weed I ever grew was not blown up and yields were low, however the resin was insane.

With all the emphasis on pretty weed and big nugs, and the obsession with how weed tastes, have we left something behind when it comes to the high?

I'm beginning to suspect so.

---------------------------------

Landraces Are The Genetic Diversity Of Cannabis

This is an interesting shot from the Phylos Biogalaxy:

picture.php
Source: https://phylos.bio/galaxy/

Notice how most of the genetic diversity is in a small number of landrace strains, while the Kush, Cookies, and Colombian Gold/Skunk #1/Haze strains have lots of strain names, however they are also very similar.

--------------------------------------------

Maybe this is the difference solution - less watering? It will reduce yields, however it increases tastes and intensity in many crops.

Example:

Innovations in Dryland Farming

"The idea of growing watermelons without a drop of water is hard to imagine. But that’s what is happening in western Oregon, where dry-farmed melons, tomatoes, and squash are surpassing irrigated crops in quality and taste."​

Source: https://oregonprogress.oregonstate.edu/winter-2017/innovations-dryland-farming

(KPIX CBS SF) San Juan Bautista Grower Has Success With Dry-Farming Technique
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPqyL3RqqYA&t=106

Rembetis

I definitely think that we've lost something. In the early '70's we never got specific locale info in our area. It was all Bo(Columbian), Mexican, Thai, Panama Red but it was good stuff.
In '81 I moved out west and got exposed to the Kushes and Afghanis that our Hash had been coming from. They were different and more complex smoke. Didnt have the "Dirty" aspect to them.

I'm a seed hoarder like everyone else around here but for awhile now I have been just concentrating on the Land Race stuff and dont know if I will ever grow a hybrid again. I really like the old "Roots" type Landraces. They wont win any beauty awards but the quality is there

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The old lines if they were any good, had more 'soul' or character to them. Either that or I am sentimentalizing them?

There were a very few of the old lines that were transcendental in effect. Not happening with today's lines imo. A full on trip that lasted maybe 20 minutes during the first part of the high. Have heard of the trip thing lasting hours from others but I did not experience that. 20 minutes of very intense tripping is quite enough for me anyways.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
In 1972 I took my first trip to Jamaica...
I had just graduated high school and I wanted to go to "the source" of some very fine weed..

It took me 2 1/2 months to get there because I did it by crewing sailboats from Virginia..

Once there, I spent over 2 months on the island..
Partly at the beach in Negril, but mostly hiking around in the hill country...

This is a pic I took then, of one of my purchases in the hills...
This paint can was stuffed full and cost me $12...

Yeah, it's got a lot of stems and seeds, but don't let that fool you...

This was some very fine, mind soaring Jamaican ganja!

picture.php

Rembetis

We must be on the same wave length Bud. I was typing something similar about the Jamaican when you posted.
Not to derail the thread but I am curious what light intensity you guys use. Currently I run everything under a 600 watt in my 4x4 tent. I am thinking I should build a room where I can run two 600s which would put me at roughly 75 watts a sq ft

Cvh

Supermod
Free ☕
:lurk:
Please share all your stories about the old days. I'm myself just a young cub with preference to landrace strains.

Rembetis

The Jamaican for me is the one that sticks out as trippy. My first trip there in the early 80's I bought some weed from the grower up in a place called Fern Gulley. It was the very narrow leaf stuff that everyone is chasing now. They didnt call it Lambsbread down there and on my recent trips I havent found anyone that knows what the hell I am talking about. Its the long time stuff to them.

Anyway, went back to the Hotel room went out on the balcony to listen to the Reggae Band that was just starting up. Smoked a joint and that shit knocked me on my ass! Lied down on the bed and it was electrifying and trippy. The bass was pounding thru my body and it felt like I was floating over the bed. They played until 2 am and it was a fucking un believable ride.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Anyway, went back to the Hotel room went out on the balcony to listen to the Reggae Band that was just starting up. Smoked a joint and that shit knocked me on my ass! Lied down on the bed and it was electrifying and trippy. The bass was pounding thru my body and it felt like I was floating over the bed. They played until 2 am and it was a fucking un believable ride.

:hide:

Go look at all of Mel Frank's old pictures from the 70's, looked about as pretty as any ganja out there today, there just weren't as many sophisticated growers out there then. So aside from the scraggly import weed that lives on in it's respected countries to this day, not all the weed looked like that.

Latest posts

Latest posts