What's new

Winter outdoors

El Timbo

What strains or types of strains would you recommend for an outdoor winter grow in pots? When I say winter I mean very mild with some decent sun most days.

I'm thinking that all strains would produce better buds if they are flowered at sunnier times of the year but I'm wondering what strains might tolerate the lower light conditions better.

Koondense

Veteran
I think it would be useful to know at least some average temperature fluctuations(daily, monthly) for your area, in order to find a good option.
In general you could try varieties adapted to cold northern regions or just some vigorous wld strains.

Cheers

El Timbo

I think it would be useful to know at least some average temperature fluctuations(daily, monthly) for your area, in order to find a good option.

Dec/Jan/Feb average highs are 18ºC and average lows 7ºC with very little rain 2/3 days per month.

Koondense

Veteran
Well it sounds doable, I think I would start the seed indoor under a small led light and transplant outdoors after a few weeks. The plants will probably stay small so get more than just a couple. Hard to say which varieties, probably related to Nepal would be a sensible choice. If you can get a nepalese indica or hybrid, would be cool, maybe something like Mandala Satori.

Cheers

grayeyes

When growing outside in winter be careful around when the daylight decreases to 12 light 12 dark. Had 6 volunteers this year and most went into flower when 12/12 struck.

Waiting now for one outside to finish.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Dec/Jan/Feb average highs are 18ºC and average lows 7ºC with very little rain 2/3 days per month.
I recently watched a video on the same subject but in Cali4nia. The yield was diminished but as the guy said, "outside of beans and ferts, what the heck. The grow would not have taken place anyway. The way I look at it, I got a couple more ounces"

OTOH, because our temp/RH swings here in the Maritimes, I only grow from end Aug/early Sep until late May/end Jun at the latest. Simply put, too much of a PITA growing in the summer, where a 3rd grow for me, is really insignificant. Once I have filled my medicine chest, I plan on doing 1 run a year. Why is that?

It suits my needs, growing restrictions and the environment in which I grow (Maritimes). I grow solely indoors. So, it largely depends on "your" conditions and "your" specific needs/requirements. :tiphat:

El Timbo

When growing outside in winter be careful around when the daylight decreases to 12 light 12 dark. Had 6 volunteers this year and most went into flower when 12/12 struck.

Waiting now for one outside to finish.

yes I control that with lights

Pennello5

Found this on the internet, it might help you a bit, unless your looking for some old legendary strains :biggrin:

1. Northern Lights
Perhaps not too surprising considering the name, but Northern Lights is a strain known to grow better in colder temperatures. In fact, the best time to harvest this strain tends to be in late October when the temperatures have cooled off but haven’t quite reached Wintertime levels.

2. Blackberry
Blackberry is a hybrid strain, which may explain why it’s more resilient to colder temperatures than other strains. It should be noted that Blackberry has a very pungent smell when it’s growing, so it may not be best to grow it outdoors.

3. Super Skunk
Pretty much all Skunk strains are known for their ability to grow in any environment. And that includes in cold weather as well. They’re just as resilient as real-life skunks.

4. Durban Poison
Durban Poison is actually one of the easiest marijuana strains to grow. It can handle most temperatures, including the cold, and takes less time to flower than most strains. The only issue is it also grows very tall, so you may need a little extra room for it.

5. Afghani
The Afghani strain originates from the Hindu Kush mountains. And anyone who’s ever been to a mountain knows they’re pretty cold. So you know the Afghani strain is born for those colder environments.

6. Critical Mass
Critical Mass, also known simply as Critical, is a hybrid of Skunk and Afghani. As we mentioned earlier, both of these strains are good for cold weather growing. So it’s unsurprising Critical Mass would be good as well. In fact, Critical Mass should not be grown in too warm of an environment, otherwise it becomes susceptible to mold.

7. Hindu Kush
Like Afghani, the Hindu Kush strain originated from the Hindu Kush mountains (what a coincidence!), so they’re used to cold weather environments. Centuries of breeding techniques have made Hindu Kush one of the most adaptable strains out there, so it can be grown in hot or cold temperatures anywhere.

:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts