What's new

Malawi concerns

Muad' Dib

Hi mates, I'm looking for information about my Malawi clone that cames to me years ago by a french friend.

Have you seen some Malawi strain with similar buds? ... Has she, in your opinion, any similitude comparing her with Malawi Gold, ACE malawi or "killer" clone?

Malawi 70 Days

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

I run her at least 1 time per year, not more because she takes 85 days or more and a good space in the indoor.

She's very strong and has a psichodelic high, low but complex aroma and a sweet spicy taste, resinous wood, cardamom and nutmeg notes.

Thanks in advance

Best vibes

Last edited:

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
So what are the concerns exactly? Looks pretty nice, compact though and lots of resin in the leaves (a hashplant trait, not often found in tropical ganja strains), so maybe it has been bit hybridised somehow, even prior to receiving it? I guess you will have more chances to ask about the story or source behind the strain (I wonder about the story behind their original breeding stock or how they imported it).

"Killer" clone = Old Malawi from African Seeds kept in Spain and most probably hybridised too.

Check this thread on Malawi line from Afropips, looks pretty wild as well but the source and origins are difficult to trace for such an UK based company though: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=235967

Besides what most can expect, many hybrisation happened with african strains as well. There's too much to study around cannabis origins and history there though but being so close to Tanzania and the East Coast, Malawi could probably have had some of the oldest african genepools in the past. Tanzania, Kenia, Mozambique and Uganda were all part of the East British Indies, where the indian indentured workers arrived from South and West India, maybe introducing some seeds from there too.
Some pictures to have an idea as grown by some good friends who also enjoy tropical strains, I wonder about the original source of all this genetics as well (only know about Greenhornet, as seeds were picked during a holiday trip to Malawi and grown for years in Switzerland):

Malawi Greenthumb by JGL:
picture.php

Malawi Green Hornet by FL:
malawi_greenhornet.jpg

Malawi Seedsman by VanVulpen:
malawi_africanbuzz.jpg

Malawi Afripips (BillyBog repro) by Bushweed:
picture.php

Malawi Malberry/Holy Smokes:
malawi_holysmokes.png

Vibes.

Last edited:

Muad' Dib

Not really concerns, just curiosity to know more about her. She's indispensable in my harem.

Mine clone looks pretty similar to the Green Hornet one. In fact, if I see that strain in some pic i'd think that she's the same for sure. Not an Hybrid, since I know she's pure keeping appart the authoctonous previus mixes.

Also the bud structure is a bit similar to the Seedsman one thought she really doesn't has those purple branches but light green as the Green Hornet one. Neither those clear internodes.

These pics really don't show how beauty she is. Right now she's not well cultivated, I must to recognise. She has been very stressed, too much nutrients, irrigation deficiency and placed in a corner where the light is not so strong... Turn out in that she lost many leafs.

There are 10-15 Days to chop time, so I'm flushing her, next time she will be better grown.

I suppose that all those Malawi strains have a very good psichodelic high but what about the taste?... Have they in common the same low sweet - spicy flavour?

Is there some info about that Green Hornet by FL?

Thanks for posting mates.

soserthc1

Most varietals I have tried or grew were either sweet , spicy or fruity or a combination of the three. Grew a bag seed labeled mawi wowie (spelled that way) as one of my very first plants and the smell was uncontrollable after only 84 days

Muad' Dib

Most varietals I have tried or grew were either sweet , spicy or fruity or a combination of the three. Grew a bag seed labeled mawi wowie (spelled that way) as one of my very first plants and the smell was uncontrollable after only 84 days

Mine doesn't smell so strong but deep and persistent, kind of weird mix of sweet spices.

The flavour is a combination, as you say, between sweet and spicy and there you can also taste some resinous woods, cardamon and nutmeg.

Very complex aromas at the end and differents if you chop her before or after 85 days. Around the 90 days the nutmeg flavour become more as cinnamon and the little touch of cardamom disappears and comes some toasted brown sugar a bit bitter but delicious.

I like to harvest her at 85-86 days but have some friends that like it at 90 or more.

By the way, she ends better when the flo lights are in 11-13 period.

Last edited:
W

wegobigupnorth

WOw! have not seen sativa buds that look that good in years! I would love to smoke it. great work man.

idiit

Veteran
it's not similar to seeds of Africa Malawi gold from the indoor bud shots. soa mg is not as pistil dom, more leafy.

the frost is indicative of both soa mg and ace's frosty mum pheno.

The flavour is a combination, as you say, between sweet and spicy and there you can also taste some resinous woods, cardamon and nutmeg.

Very complex aromas at the end and differents if you chop her before or after 85 days. Around the 90 days the nutmeg flavour become more as cinnamon and the little touch of cardamom disappears and comes some toasted brown sugar a bit bitter but delicious
sounds delicious and very desirable. I definitely wouldn't describe ace seeds Malawi ^ way. the soa mg does have a slight pineapple sweet/tart terpene taste wise but not even close to the above terp description. marlberry's mulanje gold and his Malawi are not described as above either.

many ppl probably don't know that there are literally hundreds of olive oil cultivators and thousands/millions of potential hybrids.

there are probably just as many potential malawis. looks like you got a great one. :)

Muad' Dib

Many thanks for the info and comments idiit. She looks to me very similar to the Green Hornet pic from the Mustafunk post but the descriptions of flavours, aromas and flo days that the bank provides are not completely close to the mine.

This week I've been smoking her with a man whose word is gold and he told me that she's a good Malawi but for sure I'm not going to find any exactly like this in the banks of seeds, because even in Malawi every zone or every tribe have their own phenotype, since the nature works also (and probably better) without us.

Good vibes

Hi guys.. maybe I'm coming too late on this 3d btw ..there is so much to read / learn on icmag.. :laughing:
Considering that actually Afropips malawi gold is (at least for me..from Italy..) is impossible to find.. and considering that I do not go crazy for ACE seeds.. anyone knows if is still possible find Malawi seeds somewhat closer as possible to the original landrace?

green vibes :tiphat:

Genghis Kush

Seedsmans version no longer looks like VanVulpens picture.

I ordered them after seeing that pic,
I have a couple going now and its very hybridized looking with fat leaves.

I also have the SOA version going and that looks legit