What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

can u use fresh/frozen trim for cannabutter

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i have a shitload of fresh trim, that's in the freezer for about a month - can i put it my crockpot with a stick or two of butter n make canna butter... thanks

thailer

yes but the butter will taste better if you make hash first, then use the hash in butter. it will taste like butter and the food instead of a green taste. i like to make dry ice hash with a bubble bag for edibles.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
and that is my question... i have fresh trim/popcorn that was cut 3mos ago and put into freezer - can i take it from the freezer into my crockpot with a stick or 2 of butter plus water and cook for 8hrs...

or do i take it from the freezer and dry it b4 going into the crock pot with butter and water...

thanks

Cantharellus

Yes zach you can do it that way. It will be very green and you will have to make something flavorful with it to cover up some of the taste. Doesn't matter wet or dry.

If you have the time the way to get rid of that taste is to water cure the trim. This will remove alot of the chlorophyll. All you do is cover the trim with water in a bowl and let it soak for 8 hours room temp. Then drain through a very fine reusable coffee filter to catch any trichs and refill with fresh water. Let it sit 8 hours and do it again. By the third time the water should be fairly clear compared to the first change. Now make your butter. When your butter is in the crockpot it will decarb no need to decarb it in the oven. Just make sure you get it to a boil for an hour and then simmer for at least 3. 212F is hot enough to decarb but it takes time for it to work.

yardgrazer

and that is my question... i have fresh trim/popcorn that was cut 3mos ago and put into freezer - can i take it from the freezer into my crockpot with a stick or 2 of butter plus water and cook for 8hrs...

or do i take it from the freezer and dry it b4 going into the crock pot with butter and water...

thanks

I've tried doing it two ways, first I just took my dry trim and stuck in the slowcooker (on low) with the butter already melted in the water. Second time I decarbed the trim/popcorn first (cooked in a preheated 225 or so oven for 30 minutes), then did the slowcooker.

The latter was much better in terms of effect. Personally the taste doesn't bother me, I usually have it on toast. Don't doubt making hash first might taste even better, but the trim budder was fine IMO.

Lyfespan

thanks

since its frozen, i personally would do a hash run with it then do a coconut oil run. i believe coconut oil can take a higher temp, thus allowing you to decarb the entire solution. :tiphat:

Lyfespan

I've tried doing it two ways, first I just took my dry trim and stuck in the slowcooker (on low) with the butter already melted in the water. Second time I decarbed the trim/popcorn first (cooked in a preheated 225 or so oven for 30 minutes), then did the slowcooker.

The latter was much better in terms of effect. Personally the taste doesn't bother me, I usually have it on toast. Don't doubt making hash first might taste even better, but the trim budder was fine IMO.

decarbing it activates the thc into delta 9, same thing you do when sparking a bowl. if you dont decarb, the edible will hit liver hard for 2 passes.

Cantharellus

yes. I am not sure the temp of a slow cooker but there is a chart that shows temp and time for decarb and a couple of threads. I always boil so I know a few hours at ~212F will do the trick. I generally bring to a boil then cover and simmer for 4hours. I have never had stronger butter than my own and have been making butter for around 20 yrs now. I have tried quite a few methods and most of them work well so over time you will find what is easiest for you.

Cantharellus

Sorry Lyfespan that is just not true. People have been making butter without decarbing for decades. Strong butter that will put people in the fetal position wishing they have never heard of cannabutter if they over do it. Please do not spread false information. If you have any understanding of decarboxylation at all you will know this is true.
decarb-chart.jpg

Lyfespan

Sorry Lyfespan that is just not true. People have been making butter without decarbing for decades. Strong butter that will put people in the fetal position wishing they have never heard of cannabutter if they over do it. Please do not spread false information. If you have any understanding of decarboxylation at all you will know this is true.View Image

sorry, lol i have complete understanding tiger:tiphat: and if i need any help ill research for it.

even when people aren't actively decarbing, they still decarbing, unless you have some unheated method of extracting it and eating it raw.

your point of engagement is way off too :tiphat:

shithawk420

Veteran
I saw a video of this guy who doesn't smoke or try to get high.he juice's weed and swears up and down he got high as fuck.he had a certain method if I remember right.he wasn't even trying to get high anyway I'm pretty sure you don't have to decarb.ill try to remember which YouTube vid I saw

ozzieAI

Veteran
i have made canna butter/coconut oil for years and there is no need to decarb before hand...3 - 4 hrs cooking is heaps...

the last batch i made was 20gm of canna to 250ml of coconut oil got about 200ml after cooking and once mixed with a bit of lecithin a teaspoon will kick most peoples arse...adding a bit of myrcene also helps...

you get the higher temp threshold by cooking with water, replacing that lost by evaporation and keeping it at a soft rolling boil...

Lyfespan

i have made canna butter/coconut oil for years and there is no need to decarb before hand...3 - 4 hrs cooking is heaps...

the last batch i made was 20gm of canna to 250ml of coconut oil got about 200ml after cooking and once mixed with a bit of lecithin a teaspoon will kick most peoples arse...adding a bit of myrcene also helps...

you get the higher temp threshold by cooking with water, replacing that lost by evaporation and keeping it at a soft rolling boil...

water? you cooking in water? i just toss 10 stix of butter and a qp of trim in my crock pot and let it rip for 3-4 hours, strain with filter bag and pour into butter tins:tiphat:

and yes your decarbing it by cooking it at high temps for over an hour