What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Issues with oversized pot and feeding

Put my clones from solo cups to 5gallons. I fed by watering the whole pot as a whole and I’m not sure if that’s too much for the roots right now being so small?? Should I only water around the stem? Or the outer sides? Or any thoughts?? Plants weee VERY droopy day later kinda popped back up so I’m trying to not drown them even tho I know it’s very hard with coco?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would pull them back to 1g, they likely haven't spread much. You can keep going but you seem a bit fresh and watering with such a low root to medium ratio is tricky.

If you do continue water when the coir looks moist but neither too wet (visible moisture or wet feeling at the drain holes on the pot) or dry (too many tan crumbs). Water the entire pot slowly and evenly, never just around the stem or transplant area.

J-Icky

I transplanted my current run from those square black plastic starter pots(about 4” cube) straight into a 3 gallon radicle bag and didn’t have any issues.
I only watered every other day until the plants started showing new growth with every watering, bout 2 weeks. I also watered the outer part, about an inch out from were the transplant would be. I figured with the way coco distributes water, the center would get water while also not becoming too wet and would also encourage the roots to spread out to get a better concentration of nutes. Regardless of if that helped or not, it worked well for me and had no issues and no “transplant shock” or any other slowing of growth. It just took a couple weeks for the roots to spread and take advantage of all the new room and in turn have the plant explode with new growth.

I also never had any drooping or other signs there could be a problem.

troutman

Seed Whore
When I transplant indoors, I mist the plants and let them dry off before exposing them to strong light again.
I normally water until the water comes out of the pots and don't water them again until they dry up a bit.
It's also best to not fertilize for a week afterwards.

Lyfespan

Put my clones from solo cups to 5gallons. I fed by watering the whole pot as a whole and I’m not sure if that’s too much for the roots right now being so small?? Should I only water around the stem? Or the outer sides? Or any thoughts?? Plants weee VERY droopy day later kinda popped back up so I’m trying to not drown them even tho I know it’s very hard with coco?

foliar spray with kelp, top plants and then transplant, why?

to force root growth, you can add myco and molassasses to aide root branching too. because if youre gonna use bennies you better feed them

Prodigygrower

Veteran
I always went from cups to 1 gallon to 5’s have to establish that root mass. I also crammed the coco tight tight as I could Every time I transplanted. You can grow some monsters in 5gal of pure coco. I think the biggest I ever went was 10 gal smart pots but 5 and 7’s were more than plenty. Deff establish a healthy rhizosphere like lifespan said feed those bennies and your golden.

Attachments

• C009B65C-A6E9-4E56-926E-0B38D3275B4B.jpeg
    C009B65C-A6E9-4E56-926E-0B38D3275B4B.jpeg
    10.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 19B69DDD-8189-4B1E-90F3-15B9E3BCECE5.jpg
    19B69DDD-8189-4B1E-90F3-15B9E3BCECE5.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 40
  • 44E2056E-83F6-4C72-8743-50CD8D604389.jpg
    44E2056E-83F6-4C72-8743-50CD8D604389.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 35

eric2028

Veteran
You shouldn’t need to water more then once a week depending on climate. At least for the first 2 weeks. Unless your cups were really well rooted. Weeks 3 and beyond probably goNna require more. You can overwater an under developed root system.

Lyfespan

You shouldn’t need to water more then once a week depending on climate. At least for the first 2 weeks. Unless your cups were really well rooted. Weeks 3 and beyond probably goNna require more. You can overwater an under developed root system.

i have found it almost impossible to over water in coco, it allows air to easy even in standing water :tiphat:

JimMuscles

Also depends how packed the coco is. I used to pack it but now i keep it reaaaaally loose. This prevents overwatering.

Amoeba

I literally just had the exact same thing happen to me. Plants were not happy and locked out like the next day, huge leaf curl and everything went light green with some yellowing around the edges. I think my issues was a few things, transplant shock, lower humidity and stronger light.

What I did was I hit them with a light foliar, let the roots get a litle dry and upped the humidity in the tent and everything is back to normal after almost a week. I did notice a huge difference after I added kelp, fish hydrolysate and great white though, like the very next day the plants turned around after feeding them. I could have added that sooner maybe but was worried about over feeding them after the shock.

J-Icky

Hmm when I went from the 4” starter pots to 3 gallon I did add great white granular, which is a single species Myco. But besides that i did everything else I usually did and had no problems.

I’m wondering if maybe the coco you guys are transplanting into isn’t fully rinsed or properly charged. So when you do add the plants either they are getting too much sodium or when you add nutes the coco is pulling stuff out and giving your plants an imbalanced diet.

J-Icky

you can over water coco?

This is exactly the question I had going through my head. When I started using coco I was told to water to runoff at least every other day regardless of how wet the coco may still be. The reason was that the watering pulled in fresh oxygen and if the coco was left for more than a couple days without being watered it could allow the coco to go anaerobic which would cause all sort of issues from PH swings to root rot.

I’ve never gone more than 2 days without watering and have never had any overwatering issues. I guess I should also say that I’m not in pure coco, I have a mix of 2/3 coco and 1/3 growstones for aeration. But I don’t think the aeration is the reason for my lack of overwatering issues.?

chronosync

Well-stoned member
what you just described works perfect in small pots and if you up-pot in smaller steps

it doesnt work if you just drop em in huge containers and pound them with water

you want them to be rootbound this leads to multi-feeds and rapid and vigorous healthy growth, provided your environment allows healthy plants

I would put them in 1 gal containers and go from there. I like straight coco. good coco has all the aeration and drainage you need.

go easy until theyre getting rootbound/filling in the containers then you can feed them to waste, if you find you are watering/feeding too often to your liking you can go up a size or two and repeat the process

I would re-pot into 1G and max out the root space before putting back in the big pot. You can definitely ‘overwater’ coco- or make it static/stagnant- particularly in large pots

Lyfespan

I would re-pot into 1G and max out the root space before putting back in the big pot. You can definitely ‘overwater’ coco- or make it static/stagnant- particularly in large pots

if you know coco, and follow protocol, how is anything going to get stagnant? coco is passive hydro you can water it as much as you want, you only get issues when not watering.

J-Icky

what you just described works perfect in small pots and if you up-pot in smaller steps

it doesnt work if you just drop em in huge containers and pound them with water

you want them to be rootbound this leads to multi-feeds and rapid and vigorous healthy growth, provided your environment allows healthy plants

I would put them in 1 gal containers and go from there. I like straight coco. good coco has all the aeration and drainage you need.

go easy until theyre getting rootbound/filling in the containers then you can feed them to waste, if you find you are watering/feeding too often to your liking you can go up a size or two and repeat the process

I’ve never had issues with over watering and I report from solo cups into either 3 or 5 gallon pots. Maybe it’s how I water but I’ve never had any issues. When I uppot I only water around the containers outer edge. My thinking behind this is thatbit keeps the corefrom getting too wet and encourages the roots to grow out to get to the water and heavier concentration of nutes. Usually within a week the roots have started reaching the out edges. I know this because I use radicle bags, and the root tips grow out of these fairly easily before they dry out and self prune.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
I’ve never had issues with over watering and I report from solo cups into either 3 or 5 gallon pots. Maybe it’s how I water but I’ve never had any issues. When I uppot I only water around the containers outer edge. My thinking behind this is thatbit keeps the corefrom getting too wet and encourages the roots to grow out to get to the water and heavier concentration of nutes. Usually within a week the roots have started reaching the out edges. I know this because I use radicle bags, and the root tips grow out of these fairly easily before they dry out and self prune.

See? You didnt have issues overwatering because you didnt overwater. you made the roots search for water and gave them a chance to grow before you started flooding them.

coco needs a *wet/dry cycle (not the same as soil)
coco doesnt need perlite or extra aeration
dont treat starts like trees in coco
excessive run-off isnt necessary (learn to check run-off and what that means)

pot size is determined by feed frequency, plant size is not dependent on pot size

:tiphat:

Lyfespan

See? You didnt have issues overwatering because you didnt overwater. you made the roots search for water and gave them a chance to grow before you started flooding them.

coco needs a *wet/dry cycle (not the same as soil)
coco doesnt need perlite or extra aeration
dont treat starts like trees in coco
excessive run-off isnt necessary (learn to check run-off and what that means)

pot size is determined by feed frequency, plant size is not dependent on pot size

:tiphat:

never let coco dry out at all.
fuck perlite in coco
VPD dictates all water consumption
excessive run off in coco just means to put back what washes out, absolutely check run off, if youre watering to it

planting in bigger pots and watering to fill is the best practice for healthiest roots. semi rootbound is only good for flowering and constant feedings.

ill put a fucking seed into a 200 gallon pot and have the same results as up potting, and normally better, as youre not shocking the plant, and allowing for roots to make their own choices.