What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

98% of the Population of Internet Users Would Loose a Spelling Bee?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Ok, so I just grabbed a number out of a dark place, but is spelling just not a thing any longer? I know they quit teaching it in schools (or so it seems), but the written word is still supposed to be 'easily' readable... it's a form of communication. Yes?

More and more often I'm finding myself scratching my head and wondering wtf some uneducated person is attempting to communicate. Sure slows things down.

This loose/lose mix up has become quite popular the last 10 years:
Hinges on a door can become loose. Most people lose at poker and spelling contests.

:tiphat:

Brother Nature

Ok, so I just grabbed a number out of a dark place, but is spelling just not a thing any longer? I know they quit teaching it in schools (or so it seems), but the written word is still supposed to be 'easily' readable... it's a form of communication. Yes?

More and more often I'm finding myself scratching my head and wondering wtf some uneducated person is attempting to communicate. Sure slows things down.

This loose/lose mix up has become quite popular the last 10 years:
Hinges on a door can become loose. Most people lose at poker and spelling contests.

:tiphat:

Yeah it bothers me too, I'm very pedantic about writing though. I try not to get too annoyed by it, I sort of take a positive from it in realizing that if someone can't take the time to go over something they've written and make it look proper, then they probably don't take a lot of pride in what they write so I don't need to listen to them. :biggrin:

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Correct spelling and grammar are signs of good social discipline.

But here are accepted exceptions on convention, and mostly taken with
a grain of salt within the recognized confines.

If your resume is sloppy, however, then pass.

Also the innerweb is notorious for things unconventional.

I wonder how many folks in any given social circle include those
who have limited or no innerweb influence.

hmmm

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
20aY6T3.jpg

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I sort of take a positive from it in realizing that if someone can't take the time to go over something they've written and make it look proper, then they probably don't take a lot of pride in what they write so I don't need to listen to them. :biggrin:
Now that you mention it, I do tend to skip past remaining content after too many lazy typos. They've been saving me time and I wasn't even aware. Tysvm, :tiphat:

Amazing what the correct viewpoint can do. Write as you like, I'll roll with it. lol

Ty for the contributions.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I take pride in the fact that I am constantly correcting the Windows spellchecker, not the other way around.......

W

Water-

language is fluid though and spelling has been in constant flux since the begining of written language.

who decides these things?

as long as you get your point across clearly than it works for me.
like the post above

writting on phones can make it easy to misspell things for me because my vision is getting poor

Drewsif

My high school English teachre got pissed when I told her how much more money i made than her and that I'd retire by 40 with zero college education. Lady, what you're teaching is of the utmost arbitraryism, 100 years ago you talked like a retard and 100 years from now you will talk like a retard, by constantly changing arbitrary manmade ie imaginary social standards.

right

Proper spelling ,punctuation , and Grammer is cool with me . It just seems like when some people are arguing , that the loser pulls it out like a douch move .

But seriously if I'm misspelling tell me nicely so I can edit it . It's no big deal.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Especially with spell check, they also need space check, I see a lot of people that don’t put a space after punctuation when you use a comma, period, or an explanation point put in a space otherwise it just looks like a long run on sentence...

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Now that you mention it, I do tend to skip past remaining content after too many lazy typos. They've been saving me time and I wasn't even aware. Tysvm, :tiphat:

Amazing what the correct viewpoint can do. Write as you like, I'll roll with it. lol

Ty for the contributions.

Same goes for long posts with no punctuation, run-on sentences, no paragraphs, and all single spacing for 20 lines...

Unless I notice a key word or two that makes me realize I could learn something from the post, I assume it's just drivel...

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I like to make up my own grammatical punctuation - as I go along - yes, I know its not particularly kosher - but then neither am I.

The idea of even using punctuation is to help make more clear what is being said in the text - and to make it perhaps more interesting to read because of it.

- and it is good to try and learn a new word every day - with a larger vocabulary you don't have to rely so much upon base expletives and the repetative drivel that is commonly spoken any more - and can choose much more interesting and comical words when regaling or praising a likely target - the spell checker seems to know most of them and kinda makes all my old dictionaries redundant.

* today's word of the day = Bollocks.

QQNPK

Yeah it bothers me too, I'm very pedantic about writing though. I try not to get too annoyed by it, I sort of take a positive from it in realizing that if someone can't take the time to go over something they've written and make it look proper, then they probably don't take a lot of pride in what they write so I don't need to listen to them. :biggrin:

Honestly i think its cause you are so pedantic about it that you lock yourself onto the fact and because of that dont really focus on understanding.. you critize it instead of understanding and thats a choice.. ther2s be3n c0untless studies that the human brain can still understand even if letters are missplaced even missing. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts