What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How often do you change your flowering bulbs?

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I use 1k hps digilux bulbs in my flowering room.

I think I'm going on my third or fourth run with them..

Each run is 9 weeks max...

Just wondering for max yield, if i have another run left in them and how many runs do you guys go before swapping out for new bulbs for maximum yield

Its all about that loss of lumens. Every setup and bulb type has variables, but I used to change my bulbs every run when I was after weight. No different than most commercial growers replacing the bulbs every run. Used to sell bulbs by the cases when I was running a grow store..

prune

Veteran
Lumen loss is gradual and expected, but unexpected is the more rapid loss of the enhanced PAR spectrum we all pay extra for. The wider spectrum is produced by esoteric "doping" of the bulb atmosphere, and those materials have a much shorter lifespan than the base bulb. In particular, those expensive blue HPS bulbs almost get yellower by the minute...