What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Micron size Super silver haze

grayeyes

Knowledge please.

I am growing some ssh and am going to have considerable shake left after I harvest. I know that different strains grow different sized tricomes.

Before I go buy bags, what micron size is appropriate for super silver haze?

Thanks!

mack 10

Veteran
Very hard to say, lots of variables.
If it's well grown indoor then it could have big fat tric's , however that is not always the case.

Usually 70-120micron for the best quality.
But you will have to scope the bud to
Check.

zifozonke

If you have the cash on hand go id say go with the 8bag setup.
220-190-160-120-73-45-25
That way you can sort thru all the different grades of any strain and select the bags with the grade you yourself prefer....(select / blend /discard ect...)
As mac10 has already stated 120-70 is usually where the gold is to be found but occasionaly the 45 and 25 can also yield some fire..(strain dependent of course and how mature resin glands were at harvest)
I myself started with a 8 bag setup but am now running just 4 aka frenchy cannoli style....full spectrum.....(thank you frenchy for your sharing your knowledge)
Using just 4 of my bags now ....
190-120-45-25
Less work ...less cleaning ...and a great all round "full spectrum"hash.
Happy hash'in...:)

grayeyes

"(strain dependent of course and how mature resin glands were at harvest)" is why I asked the question that I did.

Does anyone actually have an answer?

therevverend

Veteran
Usually when you buy bags they give you a range like the other posters have stated. Anywhere from 3 to 8. I'd go with 3 minimum.

Indoors Super Silver Haze has large resin glands. Even so I've only seen one strain larger then 150 and it wasn't SSH. You don't need to go larger then that but up to 220 microns won't hurt because it's such a small range. Mack suggests starting at 120 for fine quality which is where most strains are at. SSH has big resin glands I'd go at least 150 for a first bulk sieve. Then use select sieving to bump up the quality.

Pro Headies nailed it. For a nice batch of hashish I'd do a bulk sieve anywhere from 150-220 according to personal preference. Then a second select sieving at the 150-160 range to filer out the big stuff, hairs and such. Then you do a final select sieve at 45-50 microns to filter out the dirt and dust particles.

You can be even more selective if you have the bags or screens, 120, 90, 70, to break your resin up into grades. Usually the larger the resin gland the more mature. Estimating resin gland size isn't an exact art it varies not only strain to strain but plant to plant. It also varies outdoors to indoors and light intensity plays a role.

120 may end up being the right size instead of 150 but I like to play it safe. After a couple select sievings getting it just right becomes less important. There's not much plant matter and debris in a 30 or 40 micron gap.

yes if youre tossing everything before the 120 bag youll lose out SO MUCH on ssh

for 'big gland strains' i use the 180 bag as filter

slow n cold dats teh way

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"(strain dependent of course and how mature resin glands were at harvest)" is why I asked the question that I did.

Does anyone actually have an answer?

There is NO single answer...

The buds will have mixed sizes of trichomes as well as trichomes that have been compromised.

The ONLY way to know what the plants you grew produced is to measure them yourself.

I'n the past I only used 3 or 4 bags per hash run.
220 or 160 for placing the trim into
70 or 120 for collecting the larger heads
45 for collecting the smaller heads

I've found that a 25 micron bag is too tight for my applications.