What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What IS inside a calyx?

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Plants are 23 days into flowering today. I took just 2 little branches off one plant, they we're really small and didn't get as much light, and I wanted them off the plant so as to avoid popcorn.

Anyways, so I dissected the bud from one, just cause it intrigued me, and I cut open a little calyx as there was this little green thing in it. Deep green.

I freaked out thinking, SEED FORMING!! I checked both plants thoroughly and can't find any male flowers or herm-stlye nanners (I''ve had hermies in other grows . . . ).

I cut a calyx off my plant on a main cola, and found a similar little green thing inside . . .

What are these? Are they normal, or are they seeds? Whats going on here?

Help appreciated . . .

If absolutely necessary I'll cut another calyx off and take a pic if that would help

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Here is a photo.

The little green thing attaches seems to attach the calyx to the plant

picture.php

xOOx

its more like an egg..an unfertilized seed..

its what would become the seed..

i've open some of mine too..i guess all plants are diff..but mine looked more like one spec of pepper surrounded by amber goo about that size..but this was at the end of flower..

xoox

indifferent

Veteran
were the hairs on that calyx white or orange? If orange, I'd say you have a very immature seed there as calyxes should be empty. Maybe a plant has popped the odd nanner and some pollination occurred.

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Hmm. Yah if anyone else has plant around day 23 of flowering and can open theirs up and see, Id be forever grateful. .. .

Otherwise I guess I just need to be patient and see

BTW the hairs are white on all the calyxs I can see . . ..

indifferent

Veteran
White hairs suggest it's not a seed then as pistils turn orange immediately after pollination. I just peeled a couple of calyxes off a Goldfinger cutting that is about 23 days into 12/12 and there is nothing inside. Goldfinger takes 90 days tho.

I also picked some calyxes off a Mexican x Afghan that is about 80 days into a 90 day flowering time and there is nothing inside those either.

Wierd, I have seen embryonic seeds before that looked like this, but that was on a plant that had been pollinated.

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Hmm, shouldn't there be something inside a calyx anyways? Like, when pollen gets stuck on the pistils, it must goto something?

I know other plants have an ovary or ovum, but I don't know what this looks like on a cannabis plant . . .

Certainly no calyx can actually be totally empty? What are the pistils attached to?

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Ok, some searching. Here's what the botanists description is:

"Each flower consists of an ovary surrounded by a green bract (the calyx) which forms a tubular sheath about 2mm in length around the ovary. Two stigmate project out of this sheath. Following fertilization, the ovary (containing a single ovule) develops into a thin wall surrounding a single seed with a hard shell."

When you take the calyxs off, are you using your hand? TRy using a knife and cut the calyx right where it meets the plant. Then use a tweezers to open it. Other methods left the green thing on the plant, or crushed it outright as it's very soft.

Let me know what you find!

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
What strain are you growing?

That looks like a calyx and a pollen sack growing in each other.....

It seems like it's a gene mutation.....
Anywhere else on the plant this is doing this?

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
I have only two plants growing. Both females.

NL#5 X SK#1 . . .

I've taken 5 calyxs from each plant in different locations, including the very top, very bottom, main cola an side colas. All 10 share this trait . . .

So those aren't ovaries?

xOOx

that's what it is, and ovule, someone asked this before and i posted it..couldn't remember what it was called.. they r different for diff strains..diff sized calyx,etc.

xoox

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Ya, I have grown regular NL before and they were sord of like that, but not as big, xOOx is correct too that is a ovule it looks like.

Z

Ziggaro

sorry buddy i don't mean to worry you but I have to disagree
I've had these before because of hermies, and they didn't develop into full seeds either just tiny immature ones that were difficult to pick out
I had this problem with my 1st grow and thought it was an ovule..then I spent the next 2 months picking seeds out with tweezers and a magnifying glass (still better than buying :D)Actually I'm pretty sure I posted here lol
Well anyway I dissected a few calyxs on my second more successful grow, and they were empty...
I think stitch was right with his first response that it is a genetic defect, but it might also be due to light leak

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like a baby seed to me. It is nearly the size of the calyx itself, which strikes me as too large to be an ovule.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
It probably is an ovule. A baby seed starts the same size. You'll know if they toughen up. Some strains have bigger ovules than others... think Ally McBeal and Pam Anderson.

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
the OP's looks like a seed to me. it is huge.

what I would call an ovule is about 1/2 the size of a grain of salt. I will try to take a pic. I agree some strains look different than others

a lot of commercial weed I see has these little under-developed seed things. in varying amounts and sizes. I suspect that they are the result of being pollinated (hermi) a week or so just before chop. my working theory.

most people don't even notice them. but to me it makes the weed too harsh to smoke. it is fine to vape though