What's new

Is war on drugs worth it? Maybe not, new FBI data suggest.

J

JackTheGrower

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0916/p02s01-usgn.html

Is war on drugs worth it? Maybe not, new FBI data suggest.
Many law enforcement officers now say the drug interdiction effort is costly and unsuccessful. The bulk of drug arrests in 2008 were for simple possession, almost half for marijuana.
By Patrik Jonsson | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

Atlanta - Every 18 seconds, an American is busted for drug possession, according to Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) crime statistics released Monday.

The new statistics point to a continued emphasis on drug interdiction – otherwise known as the "war on drugs" – that more and more law enforcement officers are now questioning. While many experts hold the anti-drug campaign to be the key reason for the decline in the crime rate in the US, especially violent crime, since the 1990s, these police officers, as well as current and retired judges and prosecutors see, instead, thousands of American lives ruined for small drug infractions in a costly and possibly unwinnable "war."

"Not only do these officers see the terrible results that their work has had on individuals' lives, but a lot of what I hear from beat officers and undercover narcotics agents is they've seen colleagues die in the line of fire trying to enforce laws that have no positive impacts," says Tom Angell, a spokesman for Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) in Washington. "For a lot of them, this is about trying to keep good cops alive by repealing stupid prohibition laws."

According to the latest FBI figures, 82.3 percent of all drug arrests in 2008 were for possession, and 44.3 percent of these for possession of marijuana. Arrests totalled more than 1.7 million.

"You can get over an addiction, but you will never get over a conviction, said Jack Cole, a retired undercover narcotics agent and LEAP director, in a statement Tuesday about the "collateral consequences" of the war on drugs.

Changing attitudes

The emergence of frontline officers speaking out against the war on drugs is helping to kindle a debate about legalization of drugs across the US, says Mr. Angell. It is even driving a Congressional bill written by Sen. Jim Webb (D) of Virigina to establish a new Blue Ribbon justice system panel that would take a serious look at drug legalization.

The US could gain $77 billion in revenue a year by legalizing – and taxing – marijuana, cocaine and heroin, says LEAP.

Culturally, attitudes about drugs may be changing. A Zogby poll in May showed for that the first time a majority of Americans favor decriminalizing marijuana. States such as Massachusetts and California have already taken steps in that direction.

"[Most] drugs are more readily available at lower prices today than when Nixon declared a war against it," says Norm Stamper, a former Seattle police chief and a staunch proponent of drug legalization, referring in part to the lower price of marijuana.

However, White House "drug czar" Gil Kerlikowske recently said, "Legalization is not in the president's vocabulary and it's not in mine."

Sending the wrong message?

Pro-legalization groups are missing the forest for the trees, says Gregory D. Lee, a retired Drug Enforcement Administration agent. He says the dwindling crime rate across the US is directly correlated to the government's investment in border and street interdiction.

"Legalization sends a message that it's okay to do drugs when in reality these drugs have a tremendous impact on the future of the people who take them," he says. "[Under legalization], the crime rate would rise because of crimes committed by people under the influence of these substances."

Mr. Lee points to the rising price of cocaine in the US as a sign that domestic and international interdiction is working. "The war on drugs," he says, "is being won."

PharmaCan

Veteran
"Legalization sends a message that it's okay to do drugs when in reality these drugs have a tremendous impact on the future of the people who take them," he says. "[Under legalization], the crime rate would rise because of crimes committed by people under the influence of these substances."

What a dipwad! I don't suppose he has any factual evidence to support this. Besides, if drugs were legal, crime would drop if for no other reason than drugs would no longer be a crime so there would be no drug crimes to count in the equation.

Mr. Lee points to the rising price of cocaine in the US as a sign that domestic and international interdiction is working. "The war on drugs," he says, "is being won."

ROFLMMFAO - Only a DEA whore could make a statement like this. This jerk seriously needs to get his head out of his ass and take an honest look at the world around him.

PC

Grizvok

Even the thought of legalizing COCAINE AND HEROIN makes me cringe; why would you ever even think of lumping together marijuana with those hard drugs?

I'm glad they're finally seeing that prohibition is wasteful for our country in oh so many ways. I don't want to jinx our chances at legalization over the next 5 or 6 years, but history does repeat itself. The last prohibition failed miserably just like this one has(and guess what, alcohol is MORE DAMAGING than cannabis). This is coming from an educated individual with first hand experience on the matter. My dad is from the Czech Republic and although it's in his/our blood to drink alcohol he abused it quite heavily which ultimately ended up with my parents divorcing. Similarly it is a FACT that alcoholic tendencies are passed down from generation to generation and these tendencies definitely manifested themselves in my two brothers (one of whom is a recovering alcoholic).

And finally, you are about as wrong as you can get Mr. Lee. The "war on drugs" CANNOT be won by you or any of your government agencies. The worst part is that Mr. Lee probably pours himself a glass of scotch every night and thinks nothing of it.

Ipsissimus

Even the thought of legalizing COCAINE AND HEROIN makes me cringe; why would you ever even think of lumping together marijuana with those hard drugs?

because the same principles of harm reduction apply to all drugs. you'd be ok with marijuana being legal, but you'd still prefer to have all the crime associated with cocaine and heroin trafficking? if you want to smoke crack, the last thing you care about is the legality of crack - you're getting off either way.

PharmaCan

Veteran
because the same principles of harm reduction apply to all drugs. you'd be ok with marijuana being legal, but you'd still prefer to have all the crime associated with cocaine and heroin trafficking? if you want to smoke crack, the last thing you care about is the legality of crack - you're getting off either way.

Good point. The countries that have legalized/decriminalized coke and heroin seem to be having success with it. Prohibition is prohibition, regardless of the substance. Remove the mystique and the taboo from the harmful drugs and they will be much easier to control.

PC

VanVulpen

Veteran
The prohibitionist argument is the same when it comes to marijuana or heroin: the individuals are irresponsible and must be protected by the government in prisons! :wallbash:

Grizvok

I WANT marijuana to be legal because it isn't harmful. I can :joint: :joint: :joint: :joint: all day every day and I'm not going to be any worse off because of it. Whereas some heroin addict shooting an opiate directly into his bloodstream is going to get fucked up pretty badly. I've read multiple stories about bouts with opiate addictions (particularly heroin) and it's something that I would try to protect people from at all costs. I understand and am a proponent of freedom, but sometimes you really do have to protect people from themselves.

Now, before things get out of hand I fully understand that the legalization of those two drugs would probably barely cause a statistically significant increase of usage (if at all), however; that really isn't the issue here. If our government does choose to legalize marijuana at some point in time there is absolutely no fucking way that a "recreational" hard drug is going to be included. Which is why I believe it's tactless for the article to lump marijuana in the same boat with cocaine and heroin.

ChronJohn

The prohibitionist argument is the same when it comes to marijuana or heroin: the individuals are irresponsible and must be protected by the government in prisons! :wallbash:

yea those same safe prisons where drugs are readily available and rape is just a drop of the soapbar away... i dont even do heroin or meth but i'll take being a junkie over that any day... at least i wont have to walk bow-legged.

Yea folks the war on drug has definitely been lost. All drugs, every single one of them, needs to be decriminalized (like in portugal) and cannabis needs to be completely legalized. That way if any junkies are caught they can be given the option to go into treatment (paid for by the government with the money we're saving in law enforcement costs as well as the taxes gained from taxing cannabis). it'd be a win-win for everybody.

thekingofNY

Cannasseur
I WANT marijuana to be legal because it isn't harmful. I can :joint: :joint: :joint: :joint: all day every day and I'm not going to be any worse off because of it. Whereas some heroin addict shooting an opiate directly into his bloodstream is going to get fucked up pretty badly. I've read multiple stories about bouts with opiate addictions (particularly heroin) and it's something that I would try to protect people from at all costs. I understand and am a proponent of freedom, but sometimes you really do have to protect people from themselves.

sorry buddy but you couldnt be more wrong. Pure Heroin injected with a sterile needle properly is extremely safe. The problem lies with nonpure heroin and dirty needles/imporve injection.

I had a very wise drug counselor once tell me if you could inject heroin once a month for the rest of your life you would be fine... pending you didnt get arrested obtaining the heroin.

problem is most ppl can't use heroin just once a month.

No i've never been addicted to heroin.

M

mrdizzle

"You can get over an addiction, but you will never get over a conviction, said Jack Cole, a retired undercover narcotics agent and LEAP director, in a statement Tuesday about the "collateral consequences" of the war on drugs.

probably the best quote I've ever heard

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ praise some asshole?

that statement coming from a guy who gave people those records for life... what pure bullshit

I take quotes from people who lead a good life and live a good life, not ones who have spread such harm and then think there clear by changing there mind of all the bullshit they cast there whole life..

Ipsissimus

I WANT marijuana to be legal because it isn't harmful. I can all day every day and I'm not going to be any worse off because of it. Whereas some heroin addict shooting an opiate directly into his bloodstream is going to get fucked up pretty badly. I've read multiple stories about bouts with opiate addictions (particularly heroin) and it's something that I would try to protect people from at all costs. I understand and am a proponent of freedom, but sometimes you really do have to protect people from themselves.

cost of prohibition - encourages violent crime, funds terrorist groups, makes the gangster lifestyle attractive (easy money), glamorizes drug use, spreads misinformation, causing more addicts, or that youngsters ignore after they realize it's a bunch of BS (DARE), and deaths. how are you protecting anyone from anything? I guess you are protecting police and prison guard job security!

sometimes you really do have to protect people from themselves.

so everyone who feels that way is justified in controlling other people's behavior? put 10 people in a room with your attitude, and they'll probably end up dead. Some people think my music is detrimental, others my religion. Hell, I should eat less pizza. What if I thought killing you would make the earth a better place? You have NO business telling me how to live my life. It seems your solution is to lock up people with whom YOU dislike how they treat themselves. You are saying your opinion of how I should treat myself is more important than MY OWN. what are you, some kind of superior being?

your stance is the same that people have used to justify witch trials, genocide, censorship, war, racism, jihad...and prohibition. basically all that is wrong with this world. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: :fsu:

Ipsissimus

sorry buddy but you couldnt be more wrong. Pure Heroin injected with a sterile needle properly is extremely safe. The problem lies with nonpure heroin and dirty needles/imporve injection.

I had a very wise drug counselor once tell me if you could inject heroin once a month for the rest of your life you would be fine... pending you didnt get arrested obtaining the heroin.

I have and I can tell you that hard drug use is often not attractive in the first place to a someone leading a fulfilling life. Heroin is physically addictive, but that is nowhere as hard to break as the psychological aspect. It is the aspect of escapism that is addictive, and yes, marijuana can be psychologically addictive for anyone using it to escape their problems. the same goes for ANYTHING (reading, internet, chocolate). Maybe a big part of the problem is that as a society we have rapidly moved away from tightly knit communities/families, spend much time staring at a picture box, and are constantly bombarded with messages that we should be living xyz lifestyle and look like xyz, don't exercise much, don't spend much time in nature as we have for the last bazillion years, everything is geared for instant gratification, etc...leaving many with an emptiness to fill with drugs, alcohol, or whatever makes them feel good, in the moment.

SoloGro57

Whenever I read threads like this I can't help but wonder how many people with such well articulated opinions regarding the failed war on drugs actually vote.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What a dipwad! I don't suppose he has any factual evidence to support this. Besides, if drugs were legal, crime would drop if for no other reason than drugs would no longer be a crime so there would be no drug crimes to count in the equation.

ROFLMMFAO - Only a DEA whore could make a statement like this. This jerk seriously needs to get his head out of his ass and take an honest look at the world around him.

PC

he still believes refer madness is a true story

Grizvok

You totally failed to make a point though. If pure heroin is safe to inject once a month by an individual, yet that individual CANNOT just inject it once a month I fail to see how it can be considered "safe" at all. The sole danger of that drug IS how addicted you become to it physically and mentally. You need it and crave it because you feel like shit without it. It's a slippery slope that people fall down and totally fail to recover from. The longer they go while using makes the withdrawals that much worse if they do "try" and quit. People can surely get over it but they shed sweat, blood, and tears in the process even with extensive professional help.

Ipsissimus- I don't understand where you got a lot of that from. It seems like you love to make many dumb assumptions that don't hold true. I'm almost a complete pacifist, if 10 of me were in a room we'd be smoking pot and chilling out playing video games or holding a discussion on something interesting. I hold no reservations against anybody. Put me in a room with 10 junkies and I really wouldn't give a shit. I understand that people get put into situations where they are pressured to try something and they fall down that path. Did you see me say "LOCK UP EVERY HEROIN ADDICT IN A PRISON AND BURN THEM" (that's me using your stupid witch analogy). I didn't and am offended you'd think that. I'm a science major in college and I know how different people are predisposed to become addicts to certain drugs or alcohol. It's a genetic fact of life that some people simply cannot control and I fully accept that. There are probably people that become addicted to cocaine after doing it 4-5 times like I have.

This article stated and I quote "The US could gain $77 billion in revenue a year by legalizing – and taxing – marijuana, cocaine and heroin, says LEAP." Do you really think having a pre-made syringe in the back of a store loaded up with opiates for anybody 21 and older to buy is a good idea? I have to admit that while I haven't tried heroin I would more than likely try it if it was as easy as going to a store and purchasing it. Doing things once regarding drugs is in my nature and that's definitely tough to admit.

As to what my policy would be to deal with those drugs, I simply cannot say. Like I exclaimed earlier, I'm for our full freedom plain and simple, but having a drug that harmful out in the open is akin to an "it's alright to try" from our government.

Thanks for listening and despite the few aggressive remarks we've both made I like the discussion.

ChronJohn

I have to admit that while I haven't tried heroin I would more than likely try it if it was as easy as going to a store and purchasing it. Doing things once regarding drugs is in my nature and that's definitely tough to admit.

Even though you are fully aware of the consequences, that you could fall down that "slippery slope", you would take that needle and inject it? Uh... WHY?? The gun is loaded, you put it to your head, you know what's going to happen, and you're still going to pull the trigger?

The whole point of decrim/legalizing all drugs is that we can finally have an OPEN and HONEST discussion about drugs, that includes a complete overhaul of drug education to the point that people WON'T WANT to try the "hard drugs" because they KNOW just how bad they are. How many people play russian roulette? Not a lot, because your odds of fucking yourself up are pretty high and that's pretty much general knowledge. The same will be for hard drugs such as opiates, amphetamines and benzos because just like guns the drugs will have a lot more exposure and "above ground" attention and a lot more people will know the real dangers associated with hard drug abuse, that's my theory anyways. Those that do decide to play russian roulette with their lives, and fall down that slippery slope well.. that's social darwinism for you. as you said it's all about good discussion, it's what we need if we're ever to come to a consensus.. if only the rest of America would do so x_x

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^true. I smoked opium a few times to try it and I liked it alot. I liked it so much, that I will never buy it. I am aware of the dangers and chose not to try it more.

B

Blue Dot

Sublime At it Again 'Ghost Riders' said:
Don't touch a, no touch a thing called the Coca Colloco
no touch a, no touch a thing called the crack boy
no touch a, don't touch a thing called Coca Colloco
Don't touch it, don't touch a thing called the crack whore

Crack is dangerous, it not ok
Crack will make you, act crazy,
sell your van, sell your doggie,
you sell your girlfriend and her sweet punani,
You sell your producer, you sell your tape,
You sell everything, if you can relate

picture.php

Ipsissimus

It seems like you love to make many dumb assumptions that don't hold true.

Like what? You said yourself that your opinion of someone's behavior is more important than their own, and you are willing to exert your opinion at all costs.

I'm almost a complete pacifist, if 10 of me were in a room we'd be smoking pot and chilling out playing video games or holding a discussion on something interesting.

I didn't say ten of YOU, you'd probably have a circle jerk. I said ten people with your attitude - that is, that they have the right to exert force over other individuals based on their own moral compass. You justify it by saying others need to be protected from themselves.

(that's me using your stupid witch analogy).

I used strong analogies to make a point. Again, YOU think YOU'RE qualified to regulate how others treat their own bodies, because YOU consider yourself a mellow guy who plays video games and likes to smoke pot?!! My point is that everyone always thinks they're right. All the people you hate, they think they're right too. Your attitude, while quite tolerable coming from someone who has many of the same values as myself, is quite intolerable coming from say the taliban or dick cheney. A gov't that is given the power to control how individuals conduct their own lives, is only OK as long as you agree with the guy in the drivers seat. I will defend your right to have an opinion of how others should behave, but the moment you infringe on other people choices regarding their own well-being, you have positioned yourself in a parental role. There's some great Thomas Jefferson quotes about personal freedoms, and how absolutely dangerous it is to infringe upon them on any level. They are the building blocks of our gov't, and we have strayed far from the original intentions.

If you don't convert to my religion, I believe you will burn in hell for eternity. I am obviously right (god came to me in a vision and told me if I killed you, you'd go to heaven). Well, I better save you from yourself at all costs. You ok with that?