What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Non-psychotropic plant cannabinoids: new therapeutic opportunities

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Non-psychotropic plant cannabinoids: new therapeutic opportunities from an ancient herb.
Angelo A. Izzo1, 4, , Francesca Borrelli1, 4, Raffaele Capasso1, 4, Vincenzo Di Marzo2, 4 and Raphael Mechoulam3

D9-tetrahydrocannabinol binds cannabinoid (CB1 and
CB2) receptors, which are activated by endogenous com-
pounds (endocannabinoids) and are involved in a wide
range of physiopathological processes (e.g. modulation
of neurotransmitter release, regulation of pain percep-
tion, and of cardiovascular, gastrointestinal and liver
functions). The well-known psychotropic effects of D9-
tetrahydrocannabinol, which are mediated by activation
of brain CB1 receptors, have greatly limited its clinical
use. However, the plant Cannabis contains many can-
nabinoids with weak or no psychoactivity that, thera-
peutically, might be more promising than D9-
tetrahydrocannabinol. Here, we provide an overview
of the recent pharmacological advances, novel mechan-
isms of action, and potential therapeutic applications of
such non-psychotropic plant-derived cannabinoids.
Special emphasis is given to cannabidiol, the possible
applications of which have recently emerged in inflam-
mation, diabetes, cancer, affective and neurodegenera-
tive diseases, and to D9-tetrahydrocannabivarin, a novel
CB1 antagonist which exerts potentially useful actions in
the treatment of epilepsy and obesity

Attachments

• Izzo Plant Cannabinoids Therapeutic Opportunities TIPS 2009.pdf
    802 KB · Views: 47

pip313

Its wierd they chose to focus on cbd, whatever benefits it has are pretty useless because the fda will never approve something so easily turned into thc.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Even if CBD was available, it would likely be more expensive then you can the price you can buy THC in good herb or resin. Then you need a lab to convert it to THC. I am not a chemist but friends in the know say it makes no economic sense. That and pure THC as produced by converting CBD to THC and then cleaning it up via HPLC is not even as good as resin that is only 50% THC, but rich in the right terpenoids. I don't think anyone will want to do this and there is zero chance of diversion of the CBD to THC. It is just an irrational fear of the DEA. It is cheaper to buy THC from your local dealer in the form of herbal Cannabis.

-SamS

danut

Its wierd they chose to focus on cbd, whatever benefits it has are pretty useless because the fda will never approve something so easily turned into thc.
Actually it is being proven for the FDA right now.

The combination of THC and CBD in Sativex. The company is making the case of the benefits of natural cannabinoids when mixed together.

It'll be nice to be able to point out that 1. It's been proven to work and 2. GW can't make enough of it to go around .. but we can.

danut

Even if CBD was available, it would likely be more expensive then you can the price you can buy THC in good herb or resin.
Ummm .. I think that industrial hemp is a little less expensive than most herb.

Right now there are tons of CBD being dumped on the ground in Canada. Right behind those machines that harvest those hemp seeds.

If those farmers knew seems that they wouldn't mind turning their trash into gold.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Industrial hemp is a poor source of CBD in fact. GW Pharmaceuticals makes CBD from a plant that gives close to 10% CBD by dry weight with little to no THC. Hemp is closer to 1% CBD and does have THC which needs to be removed via HPLC. I don't think extracting CBD from a 1% raw material source makes any sense when 10% materials are used for the same thing. Sure it can be done, but not cheaply or competitively. If you wanted to extract CBD which would you use?
-SamS

P

pangolin

Is there a seed line or cultivar currently available to the home grower that is a genuinely certified source of high% CBD? It seems hard to separate the truth and fiction of claims by seed companies...I see that plants of landrace origin may offer possibilities for this but again it seems very difficult to obtain a definitive answer...Thanks for posting the article.

4saken

Here's an awesome excerpt from that pdf:

12j6T.png

E

elmanito

Industrial hemp is a poor source of CBD in fact. GW Pharmaceuticals makes CBD from a plant that gives close to 10% CBD by dry weight with little to no THC. Hemp is closer to 1% CBD and does have THC which needs to be removed via HPLC.

I thought that GW Pharmaceuticals had a strain in their possession of 98% CBD and a THC strain of 98% THC.
In researches i saw some hemp strains mainly from Turkey which had a CBD-content of 5% CBD.Even some varieties of Vavilov Institute were higher than 1% CBD than what you say above.The strain Finola can have a CBD content of 4-5%.
What can you tell about the strain USO-31?????

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis:

danut

Interesting ..

Fri, September 18, 2009

By JOE BELANGER, LONDON FREE PRESS

It may look like wacky tobacky, but the only kick you'll get off this bud is sick.

Stratford Police have issued a public alert after reports of people - "adults and youth" - helping themselves to a crop of commercial hemp that looks like marijuana but instead of delivering a high can make users "violently ill" with severe headaches, nausea and vomiting.

The crop, located just south of the Festival Marketplace Mall off C.H Meier Blvd., has become the target of thieves, police say.

"People, both adults and youth, have been going onto the property and stealing the crop, thinking it is marijuana," said Insp. Sam Theocharis."

"Our biggest concern is from a public-safety standpoint. Hemp is not meant for ingestion and the user will become violently ill and may very well require hospital care."

Police have notified Stratford General Hospital and made them aware of the possibility that people may arrive at the emergency unit suffering the ill effects of hemp ingestion, said Theocharis.

Police have also notified the producer of the crop.

"This situation also goes beyond the health risk to people taking the plant," said Theocharis. "Most notably, this is a legally produced crop and people taking the plant are stealing. In Canada, it is also an offence to have hemp or to sell it if you are not legally licensed to do so."

Hemp and marijuana are both members of the cannabis family and look similar.

Hemp is used in the production of health supplements, fibre, paper, textiles and even building materials.

Theocharis said the most significant difference in the presence of THC (tetrahydrocannabino) in marijuana. THC is the chemical that provides the "high" associated with marijuana.

Theocharis said the theft of hemp is a new problem in the region since it has only been produced legally in Canada since 1998.

Police said anyone who has taken any hemp to discard it.
Hmmmm .. I wonder what someone would want all that hemp for ...

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Industrial hemp is a poor source of CBD in fact. GW Pharmaceuticals makes CBD from a plant that gives close to 10% CBD by dry weight with little to no THC. Hemp is closer to 1% CBD and does have THC which needs to be removed via HPLC. I don't think extracting CBD from a 1% raw material source makes any sense when 10% materials are used for the same thing. Sure it can be done, but not cheaply or competitively. If you wanted to extract CBD which would you use?
-SamS

Goddamnit, I want some 10% CBD seeds. No THC no problem, they blend tobaccos I can blend it with high THC buds if they're actually needed.

If I wanted to extract CBD from a high THC plant or from a high CBD plant? From the latter I'd betcha that the same process for extracting concentrated would work. Alcohol, butane, naptha, water hash. Just don't expect to get a THC high. I'm pretty sure that most of the CBD is coming out in current extractions in high THC pot, but I wouldn't have a clue how to separate them, so to the former, "I don't know", but I'm sure someone could figure it out.

One of the most ironic things about prohibition is the absolute inability to easily find seeds of non-psychoactive cannabis plants. Oh, you want 25% THC no problem, fill out the order form they're at your door in days. What, you want no THC seeds in the US? Fucking forget about it. The law of unintended consequences indeed.

Any testing results you can give us Sam?

Any good strain to get the most cbd's from that you could recommend?

Thanks for putting so much time in to all the testing you have did and do you have a thread with any results you found with using just a few of the compounds in cannabis ?

I am now a med patient and a caregiver for an autistic young lady and would love to hear anything I can on what might help with seizures she has.

Last edited:

johnnyla

Veteran
i'm looking for a high CBD plant as well. i'd like to cross it with something else and dial it in just right.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I see all kinds of claims of high CBD but good luck trying to find any of the seeds. If you do somehow find them then try and confirm the CBD levels.

elmanito, try and get the seeds you mention, BTW the CBD levels are not as high as you think, Finola is not 5% CBD, I have grown it and tested it.

No I have no advice for anyone other then to say that imported Afghan seeds, direct from Afghanistan are usually 25% high CBD, 25% high THC, and 50% a mixture of THC/CBD. But you still need to confirm the cannabinoid profile of any suspected high CBD individuals. Harborside has a 5% CBD variety with THC I believe. If you selfed the variety the f2's would have individuals with only CBD, again this needs to be confirmed via GC analysis, that you in fact have a high CBD only strain. If that is what you want.
-Hempsci

veta

Just wanted to jump in on this thread. We are starting to offer testing for THC/CBD/CBN via HPLC. Bulk testing will cost 50$ a sample. Contact me a at tortalk@gmail.com for more info.

As far as getting the high CBD. My feeling is to just use an industrial hemp line with high CBD, extract out a CBD fraction, and produce a edible or vapor product with the desired levels.

Not too much work if you are set up for it.
@ SamS I would love to talk to you more about some of your reseach. My post count is not high enough to PM yet, but if you want to contact me via email, I'd love to talk.

veta

E

elmanito

Finola is not 5% CBD, I have grown it and tested it.

Like i said can have but its a needle in a haystack.You have to grow at least 1 acre of this variety to find one, but it is possible.The variety is still under probation in Canada & Europe, because of exceeding the 0.2% THC once a while.

http://www.finola.com/Finola%20THC%20and%20EU%20regs.pdf

Finola continues to demonstrate high levels of THC in some samples when tested in Health Canada
laboratories.

Moreover, the CBD/THC ratio is greater that 10:1, which is well above the more recent EU requirement of 2:1.(Hemp as Food at High Latitudes
J. C. Callaway,Journal of Industrial Hemp, Vol. 7(1) 2002

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis:

I remember all the testing you were doing a few years back and seperating all the components of cannabis, any links to your finding Sam?

As I remember (I'm a stoner), you did testing with each component and found one to give headaches and others to work on menstrual cramps and others to work on different ailments. Was there any strains tested on Autism?

I wasn't ready for this to happen yet and I mixed all my trims together last year and made a large batch of bubble hash. We have been using that on a autistic 22yr old and it seems to have taken away most of the small seizures and making the grand mals less severe. Is there anything you can recommend for me to grow or try with this young lady? She has been with the University of Michigan for quite a while and was a guinea pig so to speak with all their meds and nothing seemed to work as good as my hash does. Her teacher is even very impressed with what she is seeing.

Latest posts

Latest posts