What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Home tent grow

insomniac_AU

I hear you, still if you haven't got any other options at the moment you have to try. It's totally illegal in Australia so it's really important to keep things to yourself which is why indoors makes sense for me.
I just think until it's completely legal it will be a problem growing outside for a lot of people. Even if it was legal you'd still have lazy people who'd rather steal someone else's plants than grow their own.
Maybe you could move to a place that allows you to grow inside?

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
I hear you, still if you haven't got any other options at the moment you have to try. It's totally illegal in Australia so it's really important to keep things to yourself which is why indoors makes sense for me.
I just think until it's completely legal it will be a problem growing outside for a lot of people. Even if it was legal you'd still have lazy people who'd rather steal someone else's plants than grow their own.
Maybe you could move to a place that allows you to grow inside?

Moving to a green state has always been at the back of my mind, but for now I'm making due with what I have. More states are starting to go legal and with Canada going legal I think legalization, at least in my state, could be a very real possibility in the near future. I'll just have to wait and see. You think Australia will let up anytime soon?

insomniac_AU

Moving to a green state has always been at the back of my mind, but for now I'm making due with what I have. More states are starting to go legal and with Canada going legal I think legalization, at least in my state, could be a very real possibility in the near future. I'll just have to wait and see. You think Australia will let up anytime soon?

Yeah I don't think it will take long for it to sweep across America. Australia on the other hand I don't think will ever legalise at least not in my lifetime. We seem to constantly lose rights not gain them. This is a great place to live but it's a nanny state.

JustSumTomatoes

Yeah I don't think it will take long for it to sweep across America. Australia on the other hand I don't think will ever legalise at least not in my lifetime. We seem to constantly lose rights not gain them. This is a great place to live but it's a nanny state.

It's always a pain in the ass to have a big brother. I heard something about the Northern Territory trying to push for legalization or something? The US invented the drug war. If we can go legal I'm sure many others can too.

insomniac_AU

It's always a pain in the ass to have a big brother. I heard something about the Northern Territory trying to push for legalization or something? The US invented the drug war. If we can go legal I'm sure many others can too.

We can only live in hope. Yes there was a recent push in the NT but I don't think much came of it. The Greens party here have also suggested they might consider at least decriminalisation if not legalisation but they are a minority party.

I'm hoping that when the US and Canada implement full legalisation common sense might prevail. Our pollies might see the streets aren't lined with bodies in the US and in fact their beliefs are backward and unfounded. Problem is in my experience common sense isn't that common. :wallbash:

JustSumTomatoes

You grow in DWC? What's the maintenance on that like compared to a in the pot soil grow or a flood and drain table? Hempy buckets seem pretty easy. When I go inside finally I want to give hydro a shot, just not sure what would be the easiest and lowest maintenance all round.

insomniac_AU

Lights are off at the moment otherwise I'd take a photo but it's a very simple homemade set up made from stuff I bought at the local hardware store.
I have a res tub at the bottom that holds 45 litres. There is an upper tub that's the same size but isn't as deep I think about 25 or 30 litres with a lid that the plant pots sit in. This is supported by a frame which allows the removal of the res without disturbing the plants and keeps roots out of the res.
The upper tub has a drain in the middle that drains straight back to the res below. The res has a submersible pump that pumps via a pipe to a spray bar in the upper tub.

JustSumTomatoes

Lights are off at the moment otherwise I'd take a photo but it's a very simple homemade set up made from stuff I bought at the local hardware store.
I have a res tub at the bottom that holds 45 litres. There is an upper tub that's the same size but isn't as deep I think about 25 or 30 litres with a lid that the plant pots sit in. This is supported by a frame which allows the removal of the res without disturbing the plants and keeps roots out of the res.
The upper tub has a drain in the middle that drains straight back to the res below. The res has a submersible pump that pumps via a pipe to a spray bar in the upper tub.

Sounds interesting. If you get a chance in the future I'd love to see a pic or two. What nutrients and schedule do you use?

insomniac_AU

Sounds interesting. If you get a chance in the future I'd love to see a pic or two. What nutrients and schedule do you use?

No problem I'll try and remember. :)
I use an Australian brand of nutes called Nefarious which I'm happy with. The pump isn't even on a timer it runs 24/7.
As far as maintenance goes it couldn't be easier. I spend a few minutes each day just checking for problems and that everything is working as it should be and that's it. I remove and scrub the res about every 5 days and replace the nutes which takes about 10 minutes. I can't really go away for very long but that's part and parcel of growing. The hardest part of the whole deal is harvest. Trimming kills my back these days.

JustSumTomatoes

No problem I'll try and remember. :)
I use an Australian brand of nutes called Nefarious which I'm happy with. The pump isn't even on a timer it runs 24/7.
As far as maintenance goes it couldn't be easier. I spend a few minutes each day just checking for problems and that everything is working as it should be and that's it. I remove and scrub the res about every 5 days and replace the nutes which takes about 10 minutes. I can't really go away for very long but that's part and parcel of growing. The hardest part of the whole deal is harvest. Trimming kills my back these days.

Thanks man. Trimming is really the only part of growing I hate, other than the legal issues of course. This year I probably won't even trim at all since all of my bud will be used for tincture and edibles. I'm also going to be pollinating my plants since I'm not smoking it and could care less about seeds in the bud. In fact, I need more seeds which is why I'm doing it.

Trimming really kills my back and hands. After the first hour it goes from being cool to just flat out being awful. If I was growing commercially I would just get one of those machines that does it for you. Now I see why commercial croppers just hire people to trim for them.

insomniac_AU

I don't even keep my trim it all goes in the bin which is such a waste but I can't keep everything.

I think it takes me nearly half an hour to trim the flower for each dry ounce by hand. That's a lot of pain and effort if you have to do a pound or more.

JustSumTomatoes

I find even trim to be valuable. Gave some to a buddy a few years back and after smoking some he said "it would be a shame to waste this on edibles" lol. It was good but I see no problem using trim or buds how you see fit. I can understand though if you have a surplus of top shelf buds not wanting to even keep the extra trim. Especially if you are constantly having to harvest an unlimited supply.

insomniac_AU

Here you go. As I said about as simple as you can get. I had to change nutes and clean up tonight anyway.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

JustSumTomatoes

Awesome! Those roots look very happy! I'm assuming that white paper is there to block light and keep algae growth down?

insomniac_AU

Yes exactly. The plastic is there to block light and stop algae growth.
I am growing in a bedroom in my house in the suburbs. It's far from an ideal situation but this works until I can build something better.

I will be moving later next year or the year after. Then I will build something much better. Until then it's carting water in a watering can from the laundry. In my situation not having to deal with any media is a huge bonus. Easier and cleaner.

Latest posts

Latest posts