What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flavor Smell in Hydro vs Soil

I have some terpinator put away that i havent used. Ive heard its supposed to be organic. I will be running soon, ive gotten advice that i should use it a bit heavier than most nutes. At around 25-30 ml per gallon

growteam

I have some terpinator put away that i havent used. Ive heard its supposed to be organic. I will be running soon, ive gotten advice that i should use it a bit heavier than most nutes. At around 25-30 ml per gallon

Im curious how it works too. If you click here
http://www.hhydro.com/files/MSDS/Terpinator_MSDS.pdf

Read "Section 3: Composition"

It mentions potassium sulfate. So the terpene production is increased by the sulfur. It also adds a little potassium. I know that companies sell products that are geared towards resin or oil or terpenes they often add something sulfur related. Either way its chemical. Maybe since its organically derived they can say its organic? I dont get how that works.

Which does lead me back to my recent question. Could we add anything to a hydro system other than micro and macro nutrients that will result in a more complex terpene profile?

growteam

Just like Botanicare Sweet and Bud Candy. They are both magnesium sulfate based. So again Magnesium and sulfur.

I have sum bud candy as well. So do you think it would be a waste if i use terpinator along with the bud candy being that their both magnesium sulfate?

Meison

I think it depends on your light, THC and CBD outdoors get a lot of UVA and UVB, something HPS doesn't provide.

IF flowering with plasma lights and HPS I believe indoors can achieve more terps and better bud quality. Compared to just HPS. Plasma do provide the same spectrum as the sun and UVA and UVB but the intensity of the lamp and the umols/s/m2 compared to the sun is minimum, again this is a 270w lamp, its quality lighting not quantity. That's why is used with HPS that provide a high umol/s/m2 (ex: Gavita 1000 DE 2170umol/s)

If you have tried plasma buds you know what I'm talking about

HarvestMoon303

I think it depends on your light, THC and CBD outdoors get a lot of UVA and UVB, something HPS doesn't provide.

IF flowering with plasma lights and HPS I believe indoors can achieve more terps and better bud quality. Compared to just HPS. Plasma do provide the same spectrum as the sun and UVA and UVB but the intensity of the lamp and the umols/s/m2 compared to the sun is minimum, again this is a 270w lamp, its quality lighting not quantity. That's why is used with HPS that provide a high umol/s/m2 (ex: Gavita 1000 DE 2170umol/s)

If you have tried plasma buds you know what I'm talking about

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm dying to try both Plasma and LEC. If someone uses HPS, and removes the safety glass, doesn't it allow a much larger amount of UVA/UVB through? Does HPS just not generate enough UVx to matter?

For the record, I'm a hydro guy, but I would THINK that the soil/organic would have a better flavor/terp profile. Who knows.

growteam

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm dying to try both Plasma and LEC. If someone uses HPS, and removes the safety glass, doesn't it allow a much larger amount of UVA/UVB through? Does HPS just not generate enough UVx to matter?

For the record, I'm a hydro guy, but I would THINK that the soil/organic would have a better flavor/terp profile. Who knows.

Perception is a powerful thing. Lab tests dont always back that up. As shown in the greenhouse seed video.

The Metal Halide would technically generate more UV light than the hps. Ed Rosenthal is an advocate of UV. He has written about it in the past.

Meison

Perception is a powerful thing. Lab tests dont always back that up. As shown in the greenhouse seed video.

The Metal Halide would technically generate more UV light than the hps. Ed Rosenthal is an advocate of UV. He has written about it in the past.

Actually test show that plasma is better, plants grown under plasma provide more % of dry matter. Its sun light, can't beat that with HPS or MH

Also, white lights with strong green light produce more photosynthesis compared to red or blue light that means even tho cannabis drives on red light for the flower period, its important to have white light also, and UVA UVB

"Green Light Drives Leaf Photosynthesis More Efficiently than
Red Light in Strong White Light: Revisiting the Enigmatic
Question of Why Leaves are Green"

by

Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, The University of Tokyo, 7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, 113-0
Japan
Photobioenergetics Group, School of Biology, College of Medicine, Biology and Environment, The Australian National University
Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia

Thats a good read if you have time

growteam

Sorry Meison I was talking about lab tests and perception in regards to soil/hydro.

In regards to the lighting, I dont disagree with you. Do you have a link to that study? Would love to read that with my coffee in the morning.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
if you look at the emereld cup entries the organic side might tell a different story

Hydro8

Great study growteam. I would love to see more info on this subject with some real facts and stats behind it. Before real testing it has all been subjective to peoples taste which does not hold up in blind taste tests.

One big factor in hydro vs soil in my head is, in hydro plants do not have to work or struggle as much for the food. With the struggle of soil environments plants could deplete certain elements or possibly create them - vice versa

Soil
a-pinene = 79%
isopulegol = 0.59%
Guaiol = 0.34%
dihydrojasmine = 0.32%
(1s)trans-pinane = 0.30%

Hydro
B-pinene = 31.36%
A-pinene = 27.91%
Myrecene = 21.56%
a-Humulene = 3.17%
isopulegol = .62%
(1s)trans-pinane = 0.46%
ocimene = 0.35%

So whats the reason for this? Theories?

This difference in this info makes me wonder if the plants that work harder in soil might convert B-pinene to a-pinene.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would make the case that the "soil" test may have not the best comparison. The reason is simple, many folks don't know how to make a mix and a soil is not always nor very often, really a soil.

There are those that insist on a super soil. That is very limited as it is nearly impossible to get enough Ca into the plant if the soil is loaded up with enough K to get to the end. Won't get you there.

Then there are soils that start hot already. K and Na often over 12% of the bases, meaning again, no Ca uptake.

The organic folk do the same thing (I grow organically but using some science), take any compost, worm casting or anything "natural" and throw it in the pot hoping that they hit everything the plant will miss. Shotgun approach if you will. This method also tends to overload the system and nearly always results in a huge amount of K and Mg meaning again, limited Ca uptake.

I can assure everyone that a well dialed in soil will always outproduce qualitatively any hydro system, again, lack of Ca uptake in hydro. This is why hydro produce is pretty tasteless. In Europe, the Dutch can't give those hydro tomatoes away. Hydro often does better growing weed as the normal "deficiencies" in soil are 99% excesses of something else, meaning in hydro, unless you are an absolute idiot, this "phenomena" doesn't happen.

We have recently seen a 50% increase in total actives from 20% to 30% on the same cut, same genetics, when correctly managing the soil and running a well designed double cycle amendment and fertilization program, based on high Ca.

Attachments

• IMG-20181030-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20181030-WA0006.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-20181109-WA0007(1).jpg
    IMG-20181109-WA0007(1).jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 20

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
the term soil is ambiguous and terpenes dont express off the same cues

some simply are driven by abundance of nutrient some by lack

for example if you look at the same strain grown and tested in a many different soils as they do at the emerald cup they don't all produce the same exact composition

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
the term soil is ambiguous and terpenes dont express off the same cues

some simply are driven by abundance of nutrient some by lack

for example if you look at the same strain grown and tested in a many different soils as they do at the emerald cup they don't all produce the same exact composition

That's not good news for those that try to group strains by their terpene content, if we are getting different profiles from the same cut.