What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10 min $10 DIY aerated compost tea ACT brewer

S

Stankie

Still thinking about a diffuser. I think the way it is now would still provide DO at acceptable levels. I don't have a DO meter, so I'm just guessing at this point. There is a lot of action on the surface and secondary bubbles that would have me guess that there is plenty of oxygen.

C

CT Guy

I agree with Jay, with that pump, in that size container, you're going to be fine. Let us know how your plants respond.

Be sure to use a high quality compost and appropriate amount of foods.

Good luck!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Stankie

I watched your YouTube video and noted the amount of water movement that you're getting with this tank shape & design. I have the same pump (71 LPM) in a standard 5-gallon paint bucket from HomeDepot.

The difference is quite remarkable. Not even close. That probably has more to do with an ill-designed air manifold system in the tank than anything else.

Thanks for the video!

CC

S

Stankie

Thanks for weighing in jaykush and CT Guy!! I was going to brew up some tea but the weather here turned damn cold (below 0f for the highs). I brew in my garage and the aquarium heater I have couldn't keep the tea anywhere near warm enough.

Thanks Clackamas Coot. I tried many diffuser designs with a 5 gallon bucket and was just never happy with any of them. Kind of wish I would have bought a 10 gallon vessel, my only complaint. I can only get about 3.5/4 gallons in this one during aeration. Even then I get some spillage. I should have thought about that before I purchased, but oh well.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
jwfb.jpg

mad librettist

Veteran
that's a pretty narrow boat for your smurf to be using a symmetrical single bladed paddle, but his form is really good.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
it's not mine. just when i watched the youtube vid i was imagining a little white water rafter or kayaker in there :D

S

Stankie

Here's one like mine, in terms of kayaks, it's a freight barge, but it rules for fishing!

X-Drive FTW!!!

hobie_outback_fishing_kayak.jpg

S

Stankie

I'm brewing my 3rd batch of tea in my brewer now and will have some observations to make in a bit. Maybe some pics also.

V

vonforne

Make the reports good ones Stankie. Nice job on the build.

This thread goes in the Sticky library now.

If possible lets get some other designs in here also.

V

Scrappy4

Veteran
How would disolved O in this style brewer compare with a air lift design, in the same style of tank, anyone? They both could have good water movement, both have surface agitation, but would breaking the surface with an air lift make any improvement over stankie's clever design? Scrappy

S

Stankie

Here is one of the original pictures I posted to show what I have removed/modified. I removed the black threaded collar that was attached to the top of the vessel. (Green arrow)

Then I took a jig saw and removed the lip that was under the collar. (Red arrow) It was providing no function except trapping compost material around the lip and on the threads of the collar.

lookinginbottomsmall.jpg

Here is the brewer today. My pump is better suited for at least a 10 gallon tank, if not a little bigger. I may order either a 10 or 15 gallon tank sometime I get a little extra dough. I am very happy with the design of the brewer and the resulting tea. I can only put about 3.5 gallons of water into my vessel with the pump on. Even then it still splashes a little and gets some compost material foamed around the edge of the rim. I put the lid in the hole with no collar and it allows the cord for the heater to fit. It also keeps most of the errant tea splashes in the vessel.

The other issue - The ball valve was useless after the 2nd brewing cycle. It has silt/fine particles that make moving the valve nearly impossible. I may try a gate valve and see if that holds up any better.

teabrewer.jpg

Scrappy4 - I may rig up a trial lift system and see what happens. Sooner or later . . .

Scrappy4

Veteran
Thanks, Stankie....
Btw....quite a site on the second pic, I guess I'll have to do this outdoors when I make one of these........scrappy

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
An air lift doubles(?) the dissolved O2 capacity of an air pump-water volume interface regardless of water return and breaking surface tension.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is one of the original pictures I posted to show what I have removed/modified. I removed the black threaded collar that was attached to the top of the vessel. (Green arrow)

Then I took a jig saw and removed the lip that was under the collar. (Red arrow) It was providing no function except trapping compost material around the lip and on the threads of the collar.

lookinginbottomsmall.jpg

Here is the brewer today. My pump is better suited for at least a 10 gallon tank, if not a little bigger. I may order either a 10 or 15 gallon tank sometime I get a little extra dough. I am very happy with the design of the brewer and the resulting tea. I can only put about 3.5 gallons of water into my vessel with the pump on. Even then it still splashes a little and gets some compost material foamed around the edge of the rim. I put the lid in the hole with no collar and it allows the cord for the heater to fit. It also keeps most of the errant tea splashes in the vessel.

The other issue - The ball valve was useless after the 2nd brewing cycle. It has silt/fine particles that make moving the valve nearly impossible. I may try a gate valve and see if that holds up any better.

teabrewer.jpg

Scrappy4 - I may rig up a trial lift system and see what happens. Sooner or later . . .

How much compost (etc) did you use?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just bought two 15 gallon tanks and bulkheads to try making my own 'cone bottoms' without the cone. I'm going to try an airlift with a smaller pump.

Latest posts

Latest posts