What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How essential is CO2 in KBS?

Dr. Downtime

Hi. Is co2 really neccessary in a KBS setup?

So i'm curious-- if I just exchange my air constantly, can I get away with not using co2?

~D

Hippo

i don't use C02 or A/C, its not essential, i would imagine u would yeild better overall though

krusty

tehee

opps sorry...saw this thread but was a wee bit confused...

see to me it dont matterwhat system you use..

so the question is "DO YOU NEED CO2 TO GROW WEED??"

well ...OF COURSE

maybe another question and more fitting for you downtime...

"DO I NEED CO2?? (for my particular enviroment/setup/system)"

well that all depends...the plants will literally DIE if you have a sealed room and no co2 added...this is no opinion this is fact anyone to disagree is dumb dumb dumb

now as i stated many times i like 1200 ppm co2...yes i get more yield form 2000 ppm but not enough to truely make me buy 2 or 3 times as much co2....but 1000-1200 ppm co2 is werth working for .....it makes a HUGE difference form say typical 300 ppm or even 600 ppm.....i would say 30% more crop from having low
co2 sitting at 1000-1200 ppm

oh...i aint trying to be a smart ass...i am trying to drill a message into yawl

peace

krusty

four20_oem

What size bottle?

What size bottle?

Hey Krusty.. what size bottle do you use? 25lbs? how often do you have to fill? And do you use a timer or a ppm monitor? Actually I guess the question is, I have a large box like 6'wx4'hx4'd what do you think I need? You seem to know a bit about C02. Is the monitor worth 500 bucks? seems to me if setup right a timer could work almost as well. But ive been wrong before -peace

krusty

four20_oem - uhm....wow...large bottle i must say...

are you sure this isnt a propane tank???

i dont think people who fill co2 tanks would fill a propane tank for co2.....i know there is regulations n crap ....

myself the bottles i ussed were i think 70 or 90 lb bottles......the 70 lb bottle was about say 4 1/2 feet tall and the 90 was nearly 6 feet tall...i dont have one where i live but next time i go to my buddies little set up i will look up the specs on the bottle....but these bottles are like 12 inches wide...nothing like what you have described...

as far as how often...it depends on the size....i had one place where we dropped 2 bottles (70 lbers) every 2-4 days....but this place was a wharehouse..

but for most places that had 10 lights i would go thru 2 70 lbers every week to maintain arround 1400 ppm which is ideal...

but i also found almost as good growth rates and very simular yields by only ussing one tank per week and the ppm stayed arround 850-1000 ppm

couple things....i found that injecting the co2 directly into each plant with spegetti line t work better then just dropping the co2 in the room

also dont use fans to blow shit arround....keep the room as calm as possible:)

peace

krusty

Greenja

That's hard to do krusty...without recirc. fans of some sort, I have hot spots in the corners. But this grow...having only one fan on pedistral ((?sp) along side wall...well, it really cut down on bud production on that plant side. So was thinking of buying wall mounted oscill. 16" fans to put in 2 corners. Hopefully that position won't affect the bud development as much as a side wall.

greenja

krusty

greenja - you should not have hot spots....the heat will rise to the cieling and you either capture it there with the exhaust fan or you will have cold iar mixing with it form the air conditioning...if you notice my pictures there is no fans in the pictures....and obvoiusly even if there was fans the plants were too huge to allow much air movement

i am confused...you said

"having only one fan on pedistral ((?sp) along side wall...well, it really cut down on bud production on that plant side."

so where you had the one fan you had less bud production??? as in you had MORE bud production where you didnt have fans??

cause that is what i am saying....air movment seems to limit the bud production...a calm room tends to produce more buds...

if you do have hot spots in the room i suggest getting fans that point direclty to the cieling...this sucks ofr your co2 BUT it will draw the cold air form ground and mix it up with the hot air above with little/no movement of the plants:/

anyhoo

peace

krusty

Greenja

Krusty,

<so where you had the one fan you had less bud production??? as in you had MORE bud production where you didnt have fans??>

EXactly! Where the fan didn't blow directly on the plants, I had NORMAL bud development, but where the damn fan blew directly into the one plant and upto to the ceiling had severly affected the bud development. And ur of course right as well in saying the heat rises...and the a/c blows the cooled air too much under the canopy...so the canopy temps were +5 degrees, mayber more?, higher than the temp under the canopy...thats why I use the one fan, to get that cooled air to circulate above the canopy and attic space.

<if you do have hot spots in the room i suggest getting fans that point direclty to the cieling...this sucks ofr your co2 BUT it will draw the cold air form ground and mix it up with the hot air above with little/no movement of the plants:/>

Yes, this is agood idea. If the rooms sealed well, then perhaps the co2 won't get blown away too badly. But putting a fan in say 2 conrners facing directly up towards the ceiling would circ. the air well, and keep the air off the plants. Thx for the idea K!

Greenja