What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Coco vs Hydroton vs Rockwool minicubes

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
KissOfDeath said:
But isn't over-watering the reason they didn't need to?

To attack it from a different angle - If I had only watered the coco once per day (let's assume it doesn't dry out), wouldn't the root mass have been more developed?

Well, let's put it this way. Cannabis growers generally treat root growth religiously, because they know it's the key to exponential growth and yield. Your plants won't grow any bigger and yield any better than the root system allows.
Now, here comes along a medium with great absorption/aerating qualities, and with a CEC that goes beyond all peat based mediums, and suddenly a less volyminous root system seems to be able to sustain a bigger plant.

It means that as a grower, you'll have to re-think, and re-calculate your volumes. A plant's root system will continue to develop and spread, up until a point in flower where growth stops. If your root system hasn't filled up the pot by then, then it's probably because it didn't have time to do it in relation to the needs of the plant.

If you would have watered less, then perhaps the roots would have spread further in search for more water. But... what would be the point, if there was no need?

techattack said:
nice test bro, im interested in coco too, only waiting to end my bio bizz ferts to invest in coco.

You can run your coco plants on BioBizz ferts. I treat my motherplants in coco with BioBizz, works like a charm. Growth is slower than with mineral based ferts, apart from that no issues.

T

TheOneWill

I'm torn between doing
a drip/ebb n flow system (with coco coir)
or
a bubble systems with hydroton.

Rosy Cheeks seems to know what he's chatting about, and i'd agree with most of what he is saying.

But just my 2pence worth, from my experience. Coco does'nt produce the same kind of root system as water systems.

I have grown in coco/perlite mix and DWC side by side.

A had two NL gals from Nirvana, and wanted to try growing a different way (as at that moment in time i had only grown Hydro NFT and soil).

Both were vegged for 4-5 weeks, transplanted into there new homes, and vegged for another 2 weeks.

The coco/perlite mix was about 50/50, in 25 litre pot. Hand watered daily.
Yeild was 3 1/2 Oz.

DWC in the same kind of 25 litre pot. (although i had major Ph and other problems).
Yeild was 7 1/2 Oz.

This was back in 2004/5. I have'nt done too much DWC since, cos i love the coco result for overall smoke and quality. DWC (once dialed in is better presumably). But coco also has an easyier approach. As DWC can be awkward, but still over time you can home in on the requirements of the plant.

Just my opinion. Coco rules! Love it. Top Buzz!

Peace Tc

Oh yeah, i forgot to add that i have found coco grow's just don't produce the same amount or the same kind of root system. Water systems just naturally produce more roots. I think there fore coco is very suitable for cannabis, and that cannabis also likes coco like me.

Again i think coco beats other ways hands down for overall quality, appearance, taste and smoke. NFT and DWC is for commercial (but that's just my opinion). When i did grow big (30-50 Oz a time), i"d knock out the Hydro and DWC stuff, and keep the soil and coco results for one's self.

Happy growing/weekend all.

Peace 'n love Tc