What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Newbie LED grow - First and hopefully not last

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
How's your circulation in the tent? Any fan work going on besides the exhaust in there?

Looking good so far. It has this interesting pea green palette. I can't tell if it's the lighting or the plant haha

Might be lighting. Looks a little darker in the natural light.

Here is my grow setup:

attachment.php

Mostly pretty basic, humidifier, circ fan, exhaust fan connected to a black ops 4x12 filter, and the Amare SE250 LCD. In the super-custom shipping envelope is my Particle Photon grow automation board. Sensor in the plant is for soil moisture and temp. There is also an humidity and tent temp sensor under that folded cardboard. I guess I'll make it look pretty at some point..

Attachments

• tent.jpg
    tent.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 9

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Looks fine, good pic (got the whole scope now)

Did you ever pop another seed to replace the other?

Not yet. We're moving to a new place at the end of Mar so I thought I'd wait till I get all settled there. At that point I can also pickup another tent to separate veg / flower.

I have a number of seeds I picked up that I'd like to try, probably go for Critical 2.0+ or Blue Cheese next.

@SMS going to stick with LED. May try another brand than Amare just for comparison. Although I do like them.

@starje, thanks. Been fine tuning a lot since this is my first ever grow. I've got lights and humidity automated. Looking to add auto watering from an air stoned water reservoir based on my soil sensor and an auto temp control with a fan speed controller hooked up to my temp sensor. Also really digging this KIS organic water only soil. Dead simple to grow in.

Fun stuff :)

43 days in so far. Latest pics post topping. Since then I've up-potted to a 5 gal SmartPot and did a bit of LST for exposure and air.

Looks like a little nute burn on some leaves. Since I'm all organic, water-only soil, I'm wondering if the EWC/Molasses combo every water feeding is too much. Going to switch to giving it EWC/Molasses every 4th watering instead.

(light/dark stripes in the photos are my LEDs screwing with my cellphone camera)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• plant1.jpg
    plant1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 6
  • plant2.jpg
    plant2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 6
I'm pretty worried about timing. I think she is about ready to flip to 12/12 based on height, but I have a vacation coming up in Apr: 13-21st. This is in the 7th and 8th week of flower. Super worried to be away during that time. Any suggestions? I can veg for 2 weeks long and flip mid Mar but still 5th and 6th week and will probably need more LST to deal with height, so all in all, sketchy timing.

58 day update. It's been almost 2 months since I put these seeds in a paper towel. Pretty amazed at the growth since then.

Last night I reset the timer to 12/12 so today is the start of the flowering stage. She's looking good as far as I can tell, smells great! :)

Has a little burn on some of the tips, think from the LEDs being too close. Amare says to keep them 24" away during veg and 20" during flower. I've probably been running mine too close as I don't really measure.

Updated pics:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
The bud room has hybrid lighting, LED with and without secondary lens, CMH, and reptile fluorescent. Each has its own sweet spot and no two of them are at the same distance. The photon counter, 400 through 700 nm, lets me know where the sweet spot is and the lights are hung at different levels to get that spot at the same height off the floor.
A wire is hung from each light and on the end is a sensor, a carabiner, a spring clip, anything small and light the top bud can be put under.

This works pretty well and if a plant gets too tall, the markers are centered under the lights so if the top is offset from the markers it misses the direct light and does not burn.

Attachments

• This plant is halfway under CMH.jpg
    This plant is halfway under CMH.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Noon one week before solstice, umols of PAR photons from  400 nm through 700 nm.jpg
    Noon one week before solstice, umols of PAR photons from 400 nm through 700 nm.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 11

Juan Budd

58 day update. It's been almost 2 months since I put these seeds in a paper towel. Pretty amazed at the growth since then.

Last night I reset the timer to 12/12 so today is the start of the flowering stage. She's looking good as far as I can tell, smells great! :)

Has a little burn on some of the tips, think from the LEDs being too close. Amare says to keep them 24" away during veg and 20" during flower. I've probably been running mine too close as I don't really measure.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=71785&pictureid=1719245&thumb=1

She's looking fantastic VG... how tall is she now?

Seems like you've managed to get the timing spot on to fit in with your vacation [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
smile.gif
[/FONT]

@Juan Budd Thanks! hopefully I'll be back from vacation about a week before she's ready. She's about a foot and a half tall and about 2 feet across.

@Phaeton - Love the wire idea. I'm going to steal it :)

Day 63, 5 days into flower. Not much to report other than she has grown by 6 inches or so and spread out almost to the total tent width. No flowers as far as I can tell yet. She also seems to be uses lots of water. Gave her a gallon 2.5 days ago and the soil is approaching dry again. Maybe that is normal.

attachment.php

Newest size pics:

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 8
To close out this grow journal , harvested 3.5 weeks back. After drying and ~2 weeks of curing, got 2.92 ounces of great smelling herb from my 1 plant. Pretty happy with my first grow with no major problems. On to these blue cheese seedlings!

Latest posts

Latest posts