What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Newbie LED grow - First and hopefully not last

Growing a plant can't be that hard can it? :)

My first attempt at growing pretty much anything. I researched everything I could prior to getting a setup that works for our small place. Here is what I'm starting with:

• CropKingSeeds Dark Angel feminized
  • Growlabs 60 2x2x5 tent
  • Amare Solar Eclipse SE250 ~300watt LED
  • Soler and Palau TD-100 4" inline fan
  • KIS Organics water only soil
  • 5 gal Smart Pots

Expectations are around 100-150 grams. I'm thinking of trying to mainline as well for topping/LST. Not sure if I should just wait on that though and just grow a plant successfully first before I mess with it.

Troubled pics coming next...

CropKingSeeds recommends starting their seeds in RO water for 14 hours and then into a paper towel until the tap root is ~ 1/2". So, I did just that. Of the 3 seeds, 1 popped with 24 hours, 1 within 48 hours, and the last hasn't opened for 6 days now. Thinking that last one is a goner.

I setup small pots with 2 different soils to try out a couple options. I went with Espoma Seed Starting soil for one and the other has a local nursery's seed starting mix.

I watered the soil until a small amount of water leaked from the bottom and then let them sit for a day before planting. For planting, went about 1/2" down, dropped seed horizontal-ish, and then covered hole. Read somewhere I was supposed to "water them in" so I watered them with about 3 tablespoons of water on top of where I put the seeds...possibly a mistake?

Now about 5 days after planting and the seed the sprouted first and planted in the local nursery's soil has been sprouted for around 48 hours. She looks a bit sick. I posted my troubles the infirmary sub-forum: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=337391

The other seed planted in Espoma has yet to surface.

Using a ~50watt CFL grow bulb for light. I watered the day after planting and misted daily until came through the soil.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• grow1.jpg
    grow1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 9
  • grow2.jpg
    grow2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 9
8th day update. Both my plants survived to my utter surprise. Especially the sick one that had buried cotyledons.

#1 from the above pics:
attachment.php

My sick one was looking pretty bad 2 days ago but has greened up and now is growing new leaves. Pretty resilient these little plants...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• alive1.jpg
    alive1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 8
  • first.jpg
    first.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 10
  • sick.jpg
    sick.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 8

wswise

2x2x5 is going to be a little tight for 2 plants, but go for it. You have a great start on equipment. With the space that you do have, I would recommend a net to keep the plant short. I use orange construction fencing and zip ties, works like a charm to keep your plants from outgrowing the tent.

DjKinetics

im currently doing my first indoor LED grow aswell,il be following your grow to compare my 135w UFO wit your monster 300watter :watchplant:

Juan Budd

Looking forward to my first indoor grow - will also be LED. Coincidentally I have 3 closet spaces which are 2x2x5. So hopefully plenty for me to learn from your experiences.

Apologize for not updating since Jan. I've been on vacation in Europe, lots of great seed banks there :)

Now, I'm 30 days into my grow, about 25 days or so since this girl has sprouted. I have since repotted in a 3 gallon pot and switched over to the Amare SE250 light, but only using the outer ring of LEDs for now and not the COBs, per their direction.

So far, everything is looking good. I haven't watered in about 6 days since returning from vacation and I think she looks a little limp, but will do that tonight.

My little yellow sick one is in the background. While she did recover, she is well behind the other one, even though they were planted together. I'll probably pull her soon and plant something else.

picture.php

@wswise, I agree on the size issue. I'm going to try mainlining this one and keep it squat and round with 8 colas. I don't think the other one will make it so I'll probably end up with 1 plant anyways

A couple of a other random thoughts. The 2x2x5 tent with the Amare light and S&P TD100 fan is pretty nice. Quiet fan, and the temps inside the tent don't go above 75 with the COBs off. I definitely get negative air pressure in the tent with only 1 vent open for intake. I'll probably open another once i get a new intake filter.

I also setup an arduino-like system called a Particle Photon with a soil moisture and temp sensor hooked up to it. I will use it to drive an autowatering pump to water my plants while out of town. I've got it all working except for the pump which I hope to finish this weekend.

You can check out the soil moisture and temp charts here:
https://thingspeak.com/channels/225303

So another problem this morning. My tent is in the bedroom with the fan sucking in/venting from/into the room. Woke up with bad allergy symptoms. I have a mushroom-style filter on the intake but not good enough it seems. Ive moved the filter to the exhaust outlet hoping that will help, but not holding my breath.

Looking at buying a hepa filter and possibly leaving the tent open and fan off during the night/light off time to reduce allergen floating everywhere. Sigh.

DarkKaya

Yr filter should be on the exhaust, is your filter a carbon can? The mushroom vents we have here are just hole covers not filters. If you put a Hepa filter from a vacuum store over the exhaust should help a lot and cost less..

My issue is why? I'm lucky I don't have allergies but a friend of mine suffers bad, but not until flowering time.. But he's only allergic to pollens..

Good luck, looking very cool by the way ✌️

Bought a Honeywell HPA 200 HEPA air purifer. Works great, no more allergies! Does dry out the air a bit more, but better than morning headaches.

Time to get a charcoal filter too. I havent started flowering yet but can definitely smell a distinct odor in the room

Been trying to understand where my humidity should be in my tent. It has ranged from 30 to 60. I've read a few sites which state 60 or 70 during veg and then reducing to 40 gradually throughout flowering. Is this right?

Also, what is the best way to maintain humidity? It's very dry here in Seattle. I've started using a cold mist humidifier outside the tent placed by the intake vent. Tent fan appears to suck in the mist through the intake and raised the humidity from 40 to 60 in about 45 mins. Any other ways that are better? Also looking at pond-type mister/foggers

I think I also need to tie in the on/off of the humidifier to my humidity sensor because there doesn't seem to be a good setting to keep RH constant

Update on the grow. here is the latest, I just topped her and trimmed a bit this afternoon:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also figured out my humidity. I setup a humidifier in the tent connected to my Particle Photon automation controller. Humidifier goes on at <40% and goes off at >50%. Keeps my a tent almost exactly 77 degrees and 48% humidity throughout the day. The humidifier is plugged into the light timer so it's disabled at night. Works great!

Thinking she needs another 2-3 weeks of veg before the flip.

Attachments

• 20170223_162311.jpg
    20170223_162311.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 13
  • grow.jpg
    grow.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 7