What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

TOR Cracked = UNSAFE!

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What if we were to tell you there was a place online where you could buy ecstasy, marijuana and LSD, no questions asked?You'd say, Right on! (We know our readers).
Federal authorities, unfortunately, weren't as gung-ho about this particular operation, and today they announced that the so-called Farmers Market online drug bazaar has been taken down:

Gymeka Williams, a U.S. Attorney's Office spokesperson in L.A., tells the Weekly that the ring was taken down with the help of an undercover agent who "infiltrated" the operation in Los Angeles.
Eight people involved in the ring were arrested yesterday and today based on federal charges that they sold more than $1 million worth of illicit drugs through the online system to 3,000 customers in 34 countries and 50 states.

arcadia%20ecstasy%20haul.JPG
Ecstasy.None of the defendants is based in L.A.
As part of the bust, feds seized "hashish, LSD and MDMA, as well as an indoor psychotropic mushroom grow, and 3 indoor marijuana grows," according to a U.S. Attorney's Office statement.
Authorities say the ring accepted PayPal for purchases (was there a customer satisfaction guarantee too?).
A two-year federal investigation brought down the scheme, which the statement alleges went like this:
The on-line marketplaces handled all communications between the sources of supply and customers. For these services, the operators charged a commission based upon the value of the order. Customers of the on-line marketplaces have been identified in every one of the states of the United States and the District of Columbia and in approximately 34 other countries ... The on-line marketplaces have multiple sources of supply offering various controlled substances, including LSD, MDMA (ecstasy), fentanyl, mescaline, ketamine, DMT, and high-end marijuana. Between January 2007 and October 2009 alone, defendants ... processed approximately 5,256 on-line orders for controlled substances valued at approximately $1,041,244 via the on-line controlled substances marketplaces.​

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/04/ecstasy_sold_online_marijuana_farmers_market_bust.php

Feds say the crew operated on the TOR network, which promises anonymity (guess not) through "a circuit of encrypted connections," according to the U.S. Attorney's statement.
Each of the defendants faces a charge of conspiracy to distribute controlled substance, which carries a possible life sentence, and money laundering, a 20-year offense.
United States Attorney André Birotte Jr., the federal government's top prosecutor in L.A:
Illegal narcotics trafficking now reaches every corner of our world, including our home computers. But the reach of the law is just as long ...​
Read the federal indictment:
Willemsindictment Filed.045

Nonphixion

That's unfortunate.

Reading the indictment it says this is for a web store called "The Farmers Market" and they were responsible for trading 1,500 oz of marijuana through 3,000 sales. 30k hits of Lucy. 148 grams of Molly powder. And distributed 350 units of fentanyl.

igrowone

Veteran
Tor cracked, or was it other methods? the feds will never tell, you can count on that
they did talk about an infiltrator, the human element is usually the weak link
but thinking about it, you wouldn't have to be too fancy, just start making orders and backtracking the delivery system

Duplicate

^ I agree. I don't think the technology was cracked per se, but I'm no expert. I wonder if the buyers will get in trouble.

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I too agree but after reading a few sources it appears the weak link in their chain was accepting PAYPAL. Bitcoin or the gold exchanges are the preferred secure method.

igrowone

Veteran
they took Paypal? this is hysterical, must have thought they were going be the Amazon of the online drug trade

SS-

Yep. I'd put my money on they got busted because of the forms of currency they accepted. Bitcoin is the ONLY way IMO for that much traffic. There are a few others, just thats the safest widely accepted mainstream route IMO.

I

IE2KS_KUSH

Fucking morons...but they did get away w/ it for a couple years, so what's that tell you about law enforcement...fucking morons...how do you get tor was cracked from this though? And I don't know enough, but would it be possible for law enforcement to use tor also and monitor the traffic through it's relay, or for them to simply set up a ton of relays? I honestly don't know how that works, so forgive me if my question is really dumb..

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hum...:chin:...just found this on the web,what do you think?

Introduction / Executive Summary
This paper is intended as an overview of some of the direct
attacks on the Tor anonymous communications network;
especially of interest are those that can be used by law
enforcement agencies to unmask criminals. A blackhat approach
is also taken, looking at how simple it would be to avoid being
identified; this blackhat approach is both more fun to study, and
also very relevant for determining how reliable the
“fingerprinting” of a user would be, and whether it is reliable
enough to be presented in court.

"peeling the onion:unmasking tor users"

whodare

Veteran
After reading i think it says avoid java script, flash etc.

Tor bundle give you their web browser which disables those scripts. Also you can firewall your system to allow only Tor traffic.

Essentially they find out your real ip by exploiting holes in java and flash.

The rest was Chinese to me

crazybear

I'm sure I'm paranoid but, the government has a lot of technologies available & very smart people to use those technologies , so thinking your safe posting or doing business on the internet or emailing your taking a risk ! I'm probably a fool for being registered here & posting!!!!!!!!

rastanthology

well tor is not even close to safe on its own... most hackers use tor plus a second encryption and sometimes even a third one... if they only used tor they where really stupid...

Posted with Mary's Diary

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
There is a video on youtube with the Tor fellas, discussing the methods governments(Egypt, Iran etc) are using to block tor traffic, and the countermeasures the Tor network is using in response.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i doubt they cracked tor, if im not mistaken it is a p2p like bittorrent and is anonymous. everyone on the chain is blind and passing around a packet and at random one of them hands it off. how can they track it?

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
damn there fuckin everywhere...

read the indictment..check out the parts about
"the majority of communications between the operators, sources of supply, and customers occured on TFM website through instant private messaging" i wonder if they deleted PMs or the pigs were able to read them and save them before deletion..

then they proceed to list dozens and dozens of transaction...most of them smalltime and around 1k.

unbelievable how they managed to track people from netherlands, panama, US, europe, brazil.....

IMO they were using too many regulated forms of money transfers..paypal, western union..stay away from that shit!

didnt help they had a good for nothing dirty rotten snitch in their group...

M

MrSterling

well tor is not even close to safe on its own... most hackers use tor plus a second encryption and sometimes even a third one... if they only used tor they where really stupid...

I always think of that old meme of "Good luck, I'm behind seven proxies" whenever people talk about encryption.

Latest posts

Latest posts