What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

axial fans, high flow, cheap

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
where is everyone buying there fans...??

my local hydro shop tried to charge 65$ for one of these fans, i about shat myself...
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6...an_-_High_Speed_FP-108EX_S1-B.html?tl=g36c265

i found this website drillspot.com...
http://www.drillspot.com/products/50819/Dayton_4WT44A_Round_AC_Axial_Fan
this one is 665 cfm, i know itll be less but still 550cfm is nice.
the same price about, and i get 400cfrm more...

i should have asked before i bought it...

ok well anyways hit me up with the fan info, ill probably need more.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
HOLY FUCK!!!!!!
i ordered this fan last night at about 8-10pm...... i got it a few minutes ago!!!!!
next day delivery!! well worth it!!!
this fan is awsome too!!!!
pics coming.

Murphy

I used a couple computer fans at first, then I found the 120v axial fans.....I'll never mess with a computer fan again. I have a 4" cooling my CMH light in a cab.

tkayone

wow that fan is super expensive? 70$? damn
im in the process of building myself a rubbermaid tub box
and i need some nice fans for airflow
know of anything around 20-30$? that will do high cfm?

I find that the 120mm (4") Yate Loon, EBM-Papst, Panaflo & Sunon 120v fans to be the best out there & very cheap if you look around. The 12v versions are nice but I hate dealing with the transformers which always seem to block 2 outlets.
You can also find 240v versions cheap on ebay & wired at 120v (half speed) they can be real quiet.
I also wipe down the blades with "Impress" from Modern Solutions - an anti-static, anti-dust micro spray that really keeps dirt from building up on the blades & fan body.

Murphy

....One thing I did not mention that I should thow out there for other's planning to use one of these. Understand that moving that much air brings suction. I've had a few unplanned "trims" of some chunks of fan leaves, I added a grill, it doesn't help much. I mounted mine while I was growing in the cab so it's not in it's proper place at this time. It's hanging from the celing, later it will be mounted behind the opening in the reflector so it will be out of the way. That's the little wannabe food processor in the upper right corner being used to cool a CHM bulb. 4" and I think 110 cfm.....can't remember the exact cfm #. With it, I can keep a 400 watt CMH bulb 6 inches from the tops, at 4 inches, I had a little light burn.

Last edited:

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
tkayone said:
wow that fan is super expensive? 70$? damn
im in the process of building myself a rubbermaid tub box
and i need some nice fans for airflow
know of anything around 20-30$? that will do high cfm?
your definition of 'high cfm' and 'expensive' are all relevant

this beast IS HIGH CFM... 666CFM... for 70 ...delivered?
my inline 6" S&P fan was like 180$ and its only 300~400 cfm...

bad boy in operation.
its only 52 DB very quiet.

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
how is its response to backpressure?
Along the same lines, do you have a carbon filter on the other side of it or is this blowing into open air?

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Old Yeller said:
I find that the 120mm (4") Yate Loon, EBM-Papst, Panaflo & Sunon 120v fans to be the best out there & very cheap if you look around. The 12v versions are nice but I hate dealing with the transformers which always seem to block 2 outlets.
You can also find 240v versions cheap on ebay & wired at 120v (half speed) they can be real quiet.
I also wipe down the blades with "Impress" from Modern Solutions - an anti-static, anti-dust micro spray that really keeps dirt from building up on the blades & fan body.
thoes panaflows work great, ive got some in servers ive built they do move air.

this thing moves some air let me tell you.
its about 9" wide though... seams to respond well to pressure... the hose feels like its blowing alot!!
check it out
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=87627