What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

successful grows - veg time and pot size, plants per light?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Seems to me the sunshine growers organic is superior to #4 from what I can tell because of the coir content. It's a better consistency and I find I use little perlite now. I am considering going to a larger size of pumice along with the 1/4". I hate perlite

Smiley
Spot on! The real advantage to using their organic mix is that it runs about like this:

40% organic coir from Sri Lanka
30% organic Canadian Spangham Peat Moss
10% each of the following: perlite, vermiculite and pumice
pH adjusted with gypsum which is preferred by many organic horticulturists
Treated with yucca extract as a wetting agent

Then there's the pricing - about $19.00 for 2.8 c.f.

Consider that any of the Sunshine Mixes (#1 thru #4) 'should' cost $25.00 which it does at a nursery supply house. At a grow store/indoor garden center the price almost doubles to $48.00 before the 'bro discount' from DuhDude. Insanity.

Now if you wanted to go purist you could buy the organic Alaska Peat, organic Sunshine Just Coir, pumice and make your own. You could put together a base soil for about $3.20 per c.f. if you had the time and interest. I don't.

HTH

CC

Albertine

Have any of you checked out Progrow for soil mixes? http://www.pro-gromixes.com/
Keep thinking I'm going to get there - they deliver quantities on a truck if you want - but haven't yet. They might not be dealing with RAs as a local outfit. Also having a nice choice of raw materials for custom mixing.

Hey Smiley, thanks for the good words.

I ended up using this for gnats - easier than dunks and cheaper, a drop'll do you, found it at a pond supply shop -
http://www.microbelift.com/products/pond-and-water-garden/mosquito/bmc/
Had a few from the LAST bag of growshop bullshit(biobizz soil enhancer, smelled like ammonia and came with shore flies and gnats. All gone now, I think - no fliers on the cards lately.

After buying every (organic) product known to man for the root aphids, including Pyganic, I got rid of them using the tanglefoot on cards that the pot sits on. They show up super fast on the cards crawling out of the drain holes, and I dump the pot after taking cuttings. Cuttings from cuttings sometimes. Haven't seen any new ones for over a month, so unless the crawlers are hanging out in the cracks, a definite possibility, I should be ok. I keep dry granular DE in the trays in the idea that they have to crawl around in that long enough to get them pretty uncomfortable while trying to get into a pot.

As far as the guano portions, I basically pulled them out of a hat. I'm going after the idea of a tiered release time, so they are supposed to provide a fast release while the other P and N sources are cooking.

Got all excited seeing they tell you to just click and drag to post photos, but apparently it's a little more complicated than that. I'll post some if I and when I can overcome my generational handicap regarding learning computer tech stuff.

I don't do too many soil grows these days but a few times I did my BlueHashplant cut veg for 30 days under 1k from 1gal-5gal-20gal organic soil. Topped twice I think, and tied/trained branches everywhere. Flowered under 2k, 1 plant per light about 24oz each. Good times!
you only vegged for 30 days and got 24 oz per plant under a 1000 watt hps?

Latest posts

Latest posts