What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Non-cannabis natural sleep aids

I've been arrested and charged in a non-MM state. I suffer from severe insomnia. I'm a stabilized Wilson Disease patient.

I take 40 mg Paxil in the morning for panic attacks and Seroquel in the evening for sleep/panic. My doctor allows me as much Seroquel as I want, but I've found over the last two years more than 100 mg/day gives me adverse side effects which outweigh the benefit, which doesn't even include regular sleep. Also tried many prescription aids including the antidepressants with a sleep side effect and benzodiazepenes - the only of which worked rather well being diazapam at 4 mg. My current doctor won't perscripe any myself, I'd rather not get addicted.

Sleepy cannabis has been the only thing I've found that consistently helps me keep on a regular sleep schedule. I've tried many herbal aids - skullcap/valarian can help me fall asleep but it l eaves me very groggy the next day. Melatonin in combination with smoking leaves (from sugar leaves and male White Widows I'd chopped but the cops didn't seize worked great until I ran out).

The short of this long question is "Does anybody have suggestions on uncommon natural sleep aids?"

As I can't grow pot anymore, something exotic that I could only obtain by growing would be OK ... in fact, welcomed as I'v.e already exhausted the herbal possibilities I've learned of through doctors, herb counter attendants and gOOGLE.

Thanks!

Last edited:
G

check out my signature... basically research into how light affects sleep. it works for me, but then again i never had problems with insomnia...just bad sleeping hours.

pineappaloupe

i just got my medical Rx here in cali. I suffer from insomnia as well, and am getting wary of rx medicines. The doctor told me about sublingual malatonin. I take melatonin tablets by mouth, and have talked to 3 different doctors, including a psychologist, and had never heard of sublingual melatonin. I am going to try it asap.
I hate the medical system here. The only time a doctor thinks or works on your situation is during the 10 minutes you talk to them, which costs over $50..... fuck that.

I have one piece of advice... get more sunlight. That changed my life, probably saved it. Where i live, it is sunny 300+ days per year, at 6000ft. My life is the sun these days, i feel like a lizard. but it sure as shit beats antidepressants and sleeping pills.

peace

Indica: Thanks, bookmarked.

Pinealoupe: Never heard of the sublingual form, I will look. The 1 mg tabs with B vitimins work better than any amount of melatonin alone, but as is evidenced by the three and a half sleepless hours since taking it to night are testaments to it's inconsistency.

Going to have a tall glass of Milk and read some news sites to make sure we haven't nuked Iran yet.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you mentioned that mel+B worked better than without. i'm not an insomniac, but when my sleep cycles were getting out of whack i found that sublingual b-12 as well as a complete B (100 or 50s) helped. nutritional doctor i talked to about it said something about B vitamins helping to clear out zinc/copper inbalance. change your diet change your life .02$

humble1 said:
nutritional doctor i talked to about it said something about B vitamins helping to clear out zinc/copper inbalance. change your diet change your life .02$

I remember reading that the more copper in your diet, the less zinc your body can absorb and vice versa ... interesting. I do eat a lot of shellfish which is a really good source of copper. Maybe I should lay off the mussels ...

G

I never said sun was bad, your badly misinterpreting my post. Read the link on my sig...

ReeferDan

When i cant sleep (dont really suffer from chronic insomnia) and dont have any MMJ to smoke (i am a california mmj patient) i take like 3mg of melatonin. Works for me, but like i said, its not THAT big of a problem for me. Only an occasional night of insomnia.

Hope this helps, just wanted to throw out that melatonin did work for me.

G

Just drink a few brews Erin two good beers with a seroquel should do you in, I think the simplest solution to this ploblem if you are not getting the effects desired from the seroquel and you don't like beers is to take one of the seroquels and crush it and snort it that will knock you out in about 15 minutes and it takes very little. Some of my friends used to take them to get smashed when I was younger I guess I'm guilty as well but then never really did anything except knock me out. But if you enjoy a good beer then I would just drink a few beers and take the seroquel, I don't know what mg you take but a 100mg would make me sleep all night. Anyways I hope things are looking up for you its a long road but you'll get there eventually I hope to be released from probation in less than three months maybe sooner but nothings guranteed til next January. Stay calm, good luck in life and have tolerance for the system it will be easier that way, Peace.

G

Valerian root
Symptom: Sleeplessness/Insomnia, Anxiety, Fatigue, Nervousness, Stress, Ulcers, Menstrual Cramps, Muscle Cramps, Pain, Spasms, High Blood Pressure

Valerian has been used as a sleep aid for over 1,000 years. Its ability to help relax the central nervous system, promote feelings of calm, decrease levels of anxiety and stress, and enhance sleep are known to millions the world over.

Unlike some prescription sleep aids, valerian is not known to cause morning grogginess and is non-addictive.

Last edited:
Dank1 said:
Just drink a few brews Erin two good beers with a seroquel should do you in,

I'm an ale lover, but if I drink and take a Seroquel I get a very odd and unpleasant sensation in my back and shoulder muscles: as though they're full of worms crawling in slow motion

Dank1 said:
I think the simplest solution to this ploblem if you are not getting the effects desired from the seroquel and you don't like beers is to take one of the seroquels and crush it and snort it that will knock you out in about 15 minutes and it takes very little.

My doc prescribes it "as needed", right now I have 300mg tabs which I take a third of. I'll try snorting a wee bit.

The cops left a ton of weed ... and I just found more - unsmokable large fan leaves I threw on top of used dirt. Time for BHO?

G

snorting some should put you out with minimal mg's, I passed out on a girl once after I snorted a quarter of a 100mg pill, I don't even remember falling asleep I remember we started to have sex and then I woke up, alone, LOL. I called her and she said I just went out in action so after you do it don't drive or anything, be careful.

I would BHO it, fans arent really that good if you have enought bud trim I would do that seperate and then the fans, the fans will probably produce a blackish oil. anywho best of luck, peace

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
have you tried Passiflora combined with Avena sativa? I find it works pretty well and feel fine the next morning.

Although nothing beats the sleepy weed, I'm on a v high dose of antidepressants and they keep me awake at night :( It's really frustrating feeling tired but not being able to sleep. I feel for you buddy.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Hey hmw123 thanks for dredging this thread up from over a decade ago :D

I can add some opinions here.. I could put a rhino to sleep with the amount of insomniacs ive treated

So Chamomile (German is the best Matricaria recutita) is a nice GABA neurotransmitter raising herb and that is one of the brains main anti excitatory chemicals. Chamomile might relax the over stimulated and spasm suffering person and is brilliant for IBS and other nervous/immune issues affecting the G.I.T. This is one of the most anti inflammatory herbs. I just love the stuff.

Valerian is a wonderful herb but it is forceful in its action and though it near saved me a long time ago when suffering CFS/ME for the retarded cortisol caused bad sleep.. Valeriana is a good retroactive herb but the question is why aren't people sleeping in the first place?

Your pineal gland and HPA axis should regulate your melatonin and cortisol response to a normal daily cycle largely regulated by sunlight and times that you eat at but that can become irregular due to chronic stress of one form or another, the most common is working night shifts.. Night shift workers are 1/3rd more likely to develop agressive cancers due to the role of the circadian rhythm on the immune system.

Crucially lifestyle wise you need to not look at blue light after 8pm, use candles as the red light helps reset the pineal gland. Eat meals at the ideal healthy times, 8am, 12-2 pm and 6 pm. Go to bed as the sun goes down.

Some more important herbs used for sleeping, I put most of these into a tea blend I sell:

Hop flowers (Humulus lupulus)- deeply sedative relative of Cannabis. even used in pillows, fuckin awesome in beer as well, lovely in tea.

passion flower fol (Passiflora incarnata) - sedative, antispasmodic, nervine

Lime tree flowers (Tilia europea Fol)- a stunning sedative, hypotensive and antispasmodic. Forms the most beautiful liquor.

Lavender- Lavandula angustifolia - pure magic as all humans know lol. recent studies have shown that the effect of the essential oils, ingested in tea or smelled acts as a peripheral circulatory stimulant which opens the capillary bed and takes huge stress off the liver (the hardest working organ).. it also acts through the lymbic system to help align hemispheres and theta wave rhythm. only use a touch if at all, has a strong flavour obviously.

Chamomile as I mentioned is fantastic and a major ingredient as well as the lime flowers... I also put Rosa gallica petals which mixed with the chamomile is lovely.

Also nervines and analgesics like Scutellaria (skullcap) and California poppy (Eschscholtzia californica) go well with these things, these are sleeping aids but not really for the insomniac that has adrenal fatigue or CFS or adrenal dysregulation anyway.. These above are all aerial parts suited to a tea.

Another kind of specific trick for full on insomnia in complete dysregulation is to take 60 drops of agnus castus (Vitex agnus-castus fruct) tincture in the morning at the time you want to wake and it often eventually resets the pineal gland. bit of a one of a kind magic trick that when it works.

More serious contenders that are largely sweet roots that are proven adrenal medulla and cortex restoratives are (get these in powders or tinctures and mix):

Withania somniferum ( Ashwaganda root)
Panax ginseng (Asian ginseng root)
Panax quinquifolius (Amurican ginseng root)
Asparagus racemosus (Shatavari root)
Glycrrhiza glabra (Liquorice root)
Avena sativa seed (Oat seed)

Get into herbs guys they saved my life about ten years ago and now I use them daily to help save others.

If you want to cheat a herbal education seriously just buy a copy of "Bartrams Encyclopedia of herbal medicine" I have a really large library of herbal medicine and medical texts and Bartrams is still just the best imo/e.. Matthew Woods "herbal repertory" as well he's a fucking legend up there in portland that I would love to visit..

You can also try taking food based B vitamins, Magnesium saturated oil sprays (don't have hot baths towards the end of the day) also take Magnesium citrate as you probably do need it whoever you are, despite it's mineral origin..

Be kind to your Kidneys and Adrenals guys.. The world is stressful as fuck but we don't need any more good people dying early through the accumlated effects of endocrine dysruption.

Use my suggestions, find a herbalist, buy a good herbal, get growing and self medicating properly.. HERBS ARE TOTALLY SAFE, much much much safer than that petrochemical shite the white coats dole out to kill everyone's livers..

You can't use weed for everything... I mean you can tell yourself you can use weed for everything but it doesn't make it true.

This thread might help someone over the next decade.. Fingers crossed.. Much love :huggg:

Last edited:

wutwut

Veteran
move from sofa and drink alot of water. stop drinking alcohol. stop smoking. think if you are addicted to something and limit that to normal stage.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
move from sofa and drink alot of water. stop drinking alcohol. stop smoking. think if you are addicted to something and limit that to normal stage.

Especially the caf-feind.. It's really rough on the adrenals and mildly toxic in cadmium..

Insomnia smiley> :coffee:

Also if you are using cannabis to get to sleep then you already have a problem there that needs addressing don't use weed as a laziness co-enabler to not look a bit further for other remedies.. Stress is a killer why not use all the plant allies you can..