What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bokashi composting discussion

DTOM420

I’ve decided to give Bokashi composting a try but I’m wondering what the best uses are for it? Heck, I’m wondering if it’s going to prove to be worth it, period! Lol! So, I thought I’d start a Bokashi discussion to see if others are using it, or have used it, and learn from their experience.

What appealed to me is the fact that you’re supposed to be able to compost some meat products in the mix Cuz we eat a lot of meat, lol! I’m not clear, though, whether to insert the Bokashi compost into a regular compost pile, the soil I’ll be using next spring or into a worm bin? Once the Bokashi process is complete, of course. What are y’all doing?

Siskiyou

Veteran
I have done some bokashi composting. I feed the fermented bokashi compost to my worms, moderate amounts at a time. The worms love it and finished compost happens very quickly when given the bokashi treatment. I feel like the health of my well-recycled soil has only improved with the addition of bokashi. I also add small amounts of bokashi bran to my soil reammendments.

The "traditional" way to finish the composting of bokashi treated material is simply to bury it in the outdoor garden. Since I am all indoors, I finish my bokashi composting in the worm bin.

I should note, however, I have never composted any meat or fish products using the bokashi method. I have read that it can be done, but my bokashi compost has always been intended solely for cannabis-growing soil.

I first turned to bokashi as a way to pre-compost bubble mash (spent plant material leftover from making bubble hash), so that I did not add too much green to my worm bin at once, causing the bin to get hot.

The goal for several years now has been to return every bit of leaf, stem, root and unsmoked flower to the soil of future grows. After recycling for several years now, using bokashi and EM-1 probiotically, my soil is better than ever.

...soil>plants>buds>bubble>bubble mash>bokashi bucket>bokashi compost>worm bin>EWC>soil>plants>buds...

St. Phatty

I made room for the new weed today,

threw out the year old partial plant that was hanging in the extra bathroom.

i.e. put it in a selected composting bin.

I don't understand what Bokashi is yet, other than this cool stuff one of the guys at the grow store gave me.

Cannabis, coffee grounds, and banana peels, + water and worms.

I think the Bokashi will like that.

DTOM420

I have done some bokashi composting. I feed the fermented bokashi compost to my worms, moderate amounts at a time. The worms love it and finished compost happens very quickly when given the bokashi treatment. I feel like the health of my well-recycled soil has only improved with the addition of bokashi. I also add small amounts of bokashi bran to my soil reammendments.

The "traditional" way to finish the composting of bokashi treated material is simply to bury it in the outdoor garden. Since I am all indoors, I finish my bokashi composting in the worm bin.

I should note, however, I have never composted any meat or fish products using the bokashi method. I have read that it can be done, but my bokashi compost has always been intended solely for cannabis-growing soil.

I first turned to bokashi as a way to pre-compost bubble mash (spent plant material leftover from making bubble hash), so that I did not add too much green to my worm bin at once, causing the bin to get hot.

The goal for several years now has been to return every bit of leaf, stem, root and unsmoked flower to the soil of future grows. After recycling for several years now, using bokashi and EM-1 probiotically, my soil is better than ever.

...soil>plants>buds>bubble>bubble mash>bokashi bucket>bokashi compost>worm bin>EWC>soil>plants>buds...

That was pretty much what I was thinking about doing but I’m building 2 buckets - 1 will have nothing but vegetable based items in it and the other will be an experiment with a combination that includes some meat products. We dont have a lot of meat waste since we eat almost exclusively wild meat and that makes us especially respectful of what he use. But we might have a couple pepperoni slices on a pizza or the kids may have a leftover chicken nugget from a road trip. Looking for ways to compost that. So, I decided to try Bokashi. But, I’ve been researching black soldier flies which would be a good answer for disposing of our meat products and it’ll go to the chickens. Eventually it’ll end up as composted chicken poo....but that’s a long journey from table to garden. The biggest problem with them is that they don’t work in the winter. :cry::cry:

But, I’m wondering if there’s really any reason to Bokashi compost over simply putting the food scraps straight into the worm bin? I’m interested in the process but am I just sort of adding an unnecessary step? The worms don’t produce compost - they produce castings. Now, I suppose I could take the Bokashi, when it’s completely finished, an bury it inside one of my traditional compost piles or bury it into the garden where I’m growing directly in the ground; but I’m nervous about adding it to a raised bed as they’re not really deep.

Hrmmm. Lots to think about. Lol.

Latest posts

Latest posts