What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

High potassium side effects

Cpot23

I have been battling with hermies for weeks now and the nugs have been seeming to foxtail. Some worse than others. Just realized I've been adding about three times the amount of potassium sulfate I should've been, I'm curious if this potassium level issue could be the problem? I've been thinking that my lights were too intense or the genetics were bad but this seems to make more sense to me now as the other solo strains decided to hermie as well

If so, would you say I have enough time for the plants to fill out? Is there anything I can add/take out to help the issue?
I'm in week 7 of flower

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Not sure if this applies, but I recently put a lot of pH up (potassium carbonate) in my res the last month of flower. Grew some beasters of rather low quality, but no hermi or foxtailing issues. Nice white ash though. lol

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I think there is genetic fox tailing, which you will get regardless of of growing area, and stress caused fox tailing, most generally heat or light stress, but if you locked out one of your other elements that would be stressful for the plant as well. Pictures always paint a thousand words :tiphat:

Cpot23

I think there is genetic fox tailing, which you will get regardless of of growing area, and stress caused fox tailing, most generally heat or light stress, but if you locked out one of your other elements that would be stressful for the plant as well. Pictures always paint a thousand words :tiphat:

I think you're right. I believe it's a mixture of that and bad genetics. I got these seeds from a friend of a friend that was made his own strain. I also had a light intensity problem. I'm not too concerned, this grow has been a huge learning experience so I'm just happy to figure it out.
But I would assume any type of stress would do this

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lost in a SOG is correct, high N. It's getting to be fairly common knowledge that too much N late in flowering is one of the best ways to cause hermies. Those of us who practice N starving hardly ever see them. I have at least 4 heirloom clones that are known hermies. None of them have ever shown a hermie flower in over 10 years in my care, probably because I N starve. Of course there is a genetic component to hermie-ism as well. Some will be no matter what you do. Same with foxtailing. It's a mix of things like excess heat, excess N and genetics all playing together.

Latest posts

Latest posts